Storing artwork/metadata with media from Shield to NAS.

Ghostyroasty

Ghostyroasty

I enabled this option and nothing would happen. I also set the artwork to download in advance. I deleted my libraries and started with one folder (library is spread over a few nas drives) and no artwork was downloaded. I think it might be because Android doesn't allow for writing to something external without proper permissions?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. To get around it, I have temporarily installed the server on my Windows box to put all the artwork in the media folders and it works with no issues. 

Ghostyroasty

Is there any way to implement this in the future? And should my Shield reading the metadata stored by my other server instance?

Ghostyroasty

Thanks for the response. The server has read/write access, but it is being denied write access according to the logs. I tested writing to my nas via a file explorer app successfully, and double checked that the server had permission to write to storage (via app permissions). 

Edited by Ghostyroasty

@@softworkz any thoughts?

Yes, I got two:

1. Our implementation of MS' SMB protocol supports SMB 1.x only, but not SMB 2.x

"Our implementation" is used everywhere except on Windows.

Current Windows releases are shipped with SMB 1.x disabled, so it's usually impossible to connect to those network folders

(from apps not running on Windows)

2. For the write permission issues, I might not have an exact solution but there's something that I'm suspecting based on all conversations I had followed:

The typical requirement is named like "needs to have write access without authentication". 

• This seems to work sometimes but appears to fail in most cases
    • After studying numerous similar cases I managed to identify two different cases in that category:
      • Unauthentcated access granting permissions to anonymous users
      • Blanc-Password guest authenticattion

The latter one - "Blanc-Password guest authenticattion"  is something that users might assume to be the same as "permission without password", although it's something  very different internally.