MKV blank screen on Apple TV app but plays fine on browser

cloudwindhk

cloudwindhk

Emby Server 3.6.0.75

Apple TV App 1.2.14

I deleted all the logs, started Emby server, then tried to play the file in question on Apple TV. Many (20) ffmpeg logs were created after an attempted playback time of around 5 seconds, all with the same error: "Error initializing output stream 0:1 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height".

Attached are one sample of the many Apple TV ffmpeg logs and the single ffmpeg log for successful playback on browser. Let me know if you need the server log too.

AppleTV-ffmpeg-transcode-1f29d937-0c8d-40c9-a539-af832f7c83f5_1.txt

browser-ffmpeg-transcode-70879298-d056-4acb-9d92-bfe9066ea889_1.txt

cloudwindhk

Unfortunately not, this file was ripped from a very recently purchased Blu-Ray, so I do not know of a version of Emby that plays this file correctly (on the Apple TV app). I could mux a snippet test file from the source for you when I have time, but it looks like a params specification issue specifically for the Apple TV client because it does play on web just fine.

Edited by cloudwindhk

@@Luke

Previously we had -ab:0 384000 (log in first post here)

and got:

Codec AVOption ab (set bitrate (in bits/s)) specified for output file #0 (/config/transcoding-temp/7b471f8c2fa49c37accf6c2bc34dc15b%d.ts) has not been used for any stream. The most likely reason is either wrong type (e.g. a video option with no video streams) or that it is a private option of some encoder which was not actually used for any stream.

Now we do: -ab:a:0 384000

The message above does not longer occur, but there's

[ac3 @ 0xde1bc0] invalid sample rate
Error initializing output stream 0:1 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:1 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, andyjames said:

I am experiencing this issue with several mv4 files on Apple TV. I have attached my log file and I am running 

Version 4.4.0.19 beta

All files play on other devices through Emby

ffmpeg-directstream-d4058ff0-550d-496d-acc8-deac0b8b4040_1.txt 1.32 MB · 0 downloads

Why are you staying behind on an old beta? We're not going to be able to fully support that.

andyjames

I was not intentionally doing so. It says Emby is up to date in the dashboard.

I'll update and see if that resolves the issue. 

18 hours ago, andyjames said:

It appears the upgrade resolved the issue. Thanks.

To what version now?