Glitches when playing back video

oxhey

Im having some issues with playing back my media collection.

Let me start by telling you what equipment I have:

• Emby & my media are on a Synology DS418play (Hardware acceleration: VA API enabled, DLNA not enabled in Emby).
  • My playback client is a Samsung 7 series tv with the emby app.
  • All of my media is .mkv in x265
  • Most of my media is 1080p, while some like in this example is 2160p (or 4K)
  • Glitches dont just occur in 2160p files. For example, I get artifacts playing back The Simpsons (1080p x265 mkv)

The glitches range from a few seconds of video freeze while audio is still playing to some artifacts throughout the videos.

The attached log is from when playback is started on Daredevil S03E07 which is a 4K file to when I click exit to close the app.

During this playback I have video freeze while audio played for a few seconds. I made a note that the time when it happened was around 19:11pm.

As far as I know, the TV should be directly playing the file as it supports the codecs and the server should not be transcoding.

The emby app and server are on the latest version.

PS / I switched over from Plex (which could playback the file fine) because it kept sending info "home" and not letting the server sleep.

/ Emby is a great app and once this is hopefully resolved I will be getting Emby Premiere

log.txt

Edited by oxhey

Hi there, hardware acceleration has been revamped for the next release of Emby Server and this should be considerably improved. Thanks !

Where would I find this?

This is all I have in the logs.

I dont think there will be any ffmpeg logs because its not Transcoding?

post-382294-0-61206300-1544305597_thumb.png

Edited by oxhey

So what's happening here is we are direct playing the media to the TV. That's why no ffmpeg log is produced, and that also means that the server hardware acceleration settings will have no impact.

Usually direct play provides the best experience so i'm a little surprised about this. @@SamES do you have any ideas?

Can you please attache the MediaInfo for one of the files the gives an issue with artefacts?  Thanks

Can you please attache the MediaInfo for one of the files the gives an issue with artefacts?  Thanks

attached

Subtitles are off in the server and app and all my content has them off (not forced) by default.

Edit - attached another file which also shows glitches.

post-382294-0-01811000-1544384868_thumb.png

post-382294-0-55029800-1544385306_thumb.png

Edited by oxhey

It is probably converting the video on the fly to h264, that would be my guess, whereas we are trusting that the TV can handle the original video and just direct playing it.

It is probably converting the video on the fly to h264, that would be my guess, whereas we are trusting that the TV can handle the original video and just direct playing it.

But the tv can direct play it. If I plug in a usb with the file on it, the tv plays it .

attached

Subtitles are off in the server and app and all my content has them off (not forced) by default.

Perfect.

I've seen this issue before with Samsung.  If there are lots of internal subs then for some reason the TV has an issue processing it and the playback starts to break up.  I've seen color artefacts, freezing, etc.

This also occurs with the TV's built in player so the only solution I've found is to rip out all the extra sub tracks, then it plays fine.  No need to convert the video or audio, it's all fine, just too many sub tracks.

Perfect.

I've seen this issue before with Samsung.  If there are lots of internal subs then for some reason the TV has an issue processing it and the playback starts to break up.  I've seen color artefacts, freezing, etc.

This also occurs with the TV's built in player so the only solution I've found is to rip out all the extra sub tracks, then it plays fine.  No need to convert the video or audio, it's all fine, just too many sub tracks.

Even if the subs are disabled?

But the tv can direct play it. If I plug in a usb with the file on it, the tv plays it .

Right, but USB is not the same as going over the network.

Do all your files with issues have a lot of sub tracks?

no, if you look at the other attached file, it only has the one sub.

Edited by oxhey

Perfect.

I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know if it makes a difference. 

Even if the subs are disabled?

Yeah, just having the subs in there seems to cause a problem.

I will give that a try tomorrow and let you know if it makes a difference. 

Let me know how you go.