New feature request: Management of server wake / sleep state

LeonP

On 8/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, Deathmo said:

I would also be interested in this feature.

For me WOL on NVIDIA Shield .

Windows Sever 4.6.4.0 and Emby App 

2.0.38 does not work either.

Can you try our standard Android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 6:24 AM, darkside40 said:

Does this now have proper WOL support or why do you ask for a test?

This app has had WOL support for a long time.

darkside40

Okay because nobody else did it i tried it myself.

Installed the Android Version of the Emby Client (3.2.12) to an old tablet i can confirm that WOL is working there as expected.

Althought that the freshly installed Client tries various WOL Patterns (only that one after the Zero Pattern is valid in my Network) is quite strange.

Any explanation for that?

Screenshot_20211005_095026.thumb.png.91b9a527cfb801f80212f9b8ae807d38.png

Edited by darkside40

7 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Okay because nobody else did it i tried it myself.

Installed the Android Version of the Emby Client (3.2.12) to an old tablet i can confirm that WOL is working there as expected.

Althought that the freshly installed Client tries various WOL Patterns (only that one after the Zero Pattern is valid in my Network) is quite strange.

Any explanation for that?

Screenshot_20211005_095026.thumb.png.91b9a527cfb801f80212f9b8ae807d38.png

Hi, it uses all mac addresses that were found on your emby server.

darkside40

Which means that if i would like to set a specific WOL Mac for my server, it would be easier if this setting would be configureable in the Emby Server Dashboard, if the Client pulls that info anyway.

But that mechanism must be the same on every client. If it works on normal Android why does it not on Android TV?

11 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Installed the Android Version of the Emby Client (3.2.12) to an old tablet

Can you please re-run that test installing on the same device the TV app is running on?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Which means that if i would like to set a specific WOL Mac for my server, it would be easier if this setting would be configureable in the Emby Server Dashboard, if the Client pulls that info anyway.

Exactly, yes, we just haven't gotten to that yet.

2 hours ago, darkside40 said:

You mean installing the normal Android App on my Android TV?

Is that possible?

Yes and yes.  Thanks.

darkside40

Okay after fiddling around how to sideload stuff to the Mi TV, because it is obviously not possible to install the normal Emby App from the Play Store, i managed to get the recent Emby Android client found on APK Mirror onto my Mi TV.

I can now confirm that it works just the like on my tablet, the packet dump looks the same. So WOL works with it.

Shouldnt be a problem porting that to the Android TV Emby Client?

• 5 weeks later...
darkside40

So nearly another month passed. The problem is identified. We know that it works in the normal Android App, only the Android TV App is affected.

Just read throught the Beta Thread for the Android TV App an i cant see that this problem is solved. So is there any ETA when this problem will be solved?

Hi. I'm sorry I cannot give you an ETA but if the standard app works for you then that is an option at this time.

darkside40

Sorry but sideloading an standard Android App onto an Android TV device is a quite ugly workaroud.

I cant imagine that codebase of the two apps is so different that the solution is really complicated.

• 5 weeks later...
darkside40

Another month has passed with quite some changes to the Android TV app when i look at the Beta thread.

Sadly there seems to be no Fix for the WOL Bug till now. To be honest how high is this bug ranked on the internal To-Do list for the Android TV Client app?

4 hours ago, darkside40 said:

Sadly there seems to be no Fix for the WOL Bug till now. To be honest how high is this bug ranked on the internal To-Do list for the Android TV Client app?

Hi it is in there but not at the top because it is something that is working for most people (works in my environment and also others report it works for them).  So, it is on the list but hasn't been hashed out yet.

Thanks.

darkside40

I would like to see people here answering which say that it works for them with the current Android TV Version.

Sorry but if the Mac Adresses are pulled from the Emby Server like @Luke said here on 5th October, which works with the normal Android Client and the Android TV Client only sends out nulled garbage as Mac Address, how should it work. What is than different in my setup than in yours?

That nobody complained till now does not automatic means that it works. In most of the cases it means that people run Emby on a machine which is 24/7 online because they dont have to care about prices for electricity or their carbon footprint. They simply dont care about this function.

7 hours ago, darkside40 said:

I would like to see people here answering which say that it works for them with the current Android TV Version.

There is one recent one.  I believe the issue you are having is related to having multiple network interfaces at the server end.

2BTSquared
3 hours ago, ebr said:

There is one recent one.  I believe the issue you are having is related to having multiple network interfaces at the server end.

I wouldn't say it's working for me. It certainly doesn't work automatically. In regards to Android TV (NVidia Shield TV)... If - and it's a big IF - I can get the pop up window to come up (after waiting for the server connection failure to time out), then I can click the WAKE option and it will wake the server. None of this effort is worth it. It's just easier - for now - to open the Wake On Lan app and wake the server there. Ultimately, in my view, Emby should just do this automatically. 

On Android devices with the Android app... It doesn't work, nor are the any options that I can find to manually wake the server within the Emby Android app. Only way to deal with this is - again - via the Wake On Lan app. 

PenkethBoy

Works fine for me waking  a sleeping server via the Android TV app directly from my sony TV - has done this for numerous versions going back over a year or so.

server wakes immediately after i press the emby icon from atv home screen - wait about 5 seconds and emby loads

darkside40
4 hours ago, ebr said:

There are no multiple Network Interfaces on my Server. What really bugs me is that it works using the Android App on the same device but not with the Android TV App. How can this be and why should it be a server side problem?

Tell me how i can clear the Mac Address Cache on the Emby Server or how i can set the Mac Adresses there manually which the Client App tries and i will do it, although i dont think that this would change something.

@PenkethBoy would you mind tellin me which server Version on which OS you are using and which version of the emby client app? @ebr is that the intended behavior that Emby wakes the server directly at start of the app without pressing the wake button?

PenkethBoy

windows 10 - any of the last beta versions of emby

atv - beta versions over the last months

8 hours ago, 2BTSquared said:

I can click the WAKE option and it will wake the server.

Hi.  That is the part that is working but is not working for darkside.

• 4 weeks later...
darkside40

Oh seems there was recently an update for the Android TV app where something regarding WOL was changed. I think i will give it a shot during the day and will record it the output with wireshark.

darkside40

Okay i tried the newest beta of the Android TV App hoping that there was a breaking change.

But unfortunately it is not working. This time i installed the newest beta of the Android TV app, as well as the latest Version of the normal Android app on the same device an captured the traffic that was cause when trying to wake the server.

This happens when the Android App wants to wake the Server (btw which it does):

wireshark_emby_android_app.thumb.png.2b8ab7f48615510a689883be8d0651dc.png

This is the Output of the Android TV app:

wireshark_emby_android_tv_app.thumb.png.b5bb85c7a73daede8e38386a520e3a08.png

On the same Device, the same Network, the same Emby Server!

So i really doubt that the Problem is my Setup etc.

I have also opened another Thread asking how to clear the Mac Address cache of the Emby Server 

What you can see is that on the Android TV App i tried multiple times waking the server (looks at the timestamp). For me it looks like the Android TV app just tries the first Mac Adress which comes from the Emby Server while the Android App tries all. But without the source nobody knows.