New feature request: Management of server wake / sleep state

LeonP

Was this problem fixed?

I also have a Shield 2019 and when I’m trying to connect to my sleeping Emby Server (Windows) I get the spinning circle for about 40 seconds and then I get the screen with the following:

-Select a server with my server listed.

-Other options / Enter Manually / Login with connect.

Is there an option to configure the Emby client app to automatic send a magic packet to the server?

Thanks.

On that screen, is there also a "Send Logs" button?  If so, after you get that time-out, can you please send the log and then come back here and tell me exactly what time you did that?

Thanks.

DaSilva

Hi ebr,

I’m sorry but no “send logs” button.

Is there anything else I can do to help you figure this out?

TY

DaSilva

Ok small update.

I’ve been messing around and I’ve been able to send logs at 10:05 in Belgium.

When I start Emby on the Shield while the server is asleep I get the spinning circle before getting the screen as mentioned in post #25.

Then when I select my server and press OK nothing happens for about 20sec and then I get the screen wich says Server Unavailable and there is a wake button.

Unfortunately when i press “Wake” nothing happens ...

This is the last piece I’m missing for a pefect (if that exists) setup.

I’m using Emby Theater on my HTPC, wich automaticlly wakes the server, because of madvr for UHD.

And the wife and the kids use the Shield because that just works without messing around with external players.

If now the Shield would just auto wake my server it would be golden!

Thanks in advance!

Edit - maybe it’s relevant to know that I have configured in the Power Management settings of the NIC in my server to only wake when a magic packet is sent because otherwise my server would wake randomly.

Edited by DaSilva

Are you sure your server isn't woken up and it is just a different problem?  We appear to be getting an auth failure:

04-17 10:05:33.242  7424  7643 E Volley  : [370] BasicNetwork.performRequest: Unexpected response code 401 for http://192.168.1.2:8096/emby/system/info?format=json

• 1 year later...
darkside40

Okay it has been a while since i tested this feature an i was never able to get it to work. Today i thought to give it another try, but the result is the same, my Emby Server (Docker running on unRaid) wont wake up.

I know WOL is working, i do it all the time, but it seems the Emby Clients are not capeable.

So i fired up Wireguard to see what the Emby Clients are actually sending.

My iOS client sends nine WOL Packets. The first two have a payload of 00:00:00:00:00:00 as Mac Address, so we can consider them useless. The other seven features various old Mac Adresses or even Mac's i dont know. They all are directed to 255.255.255.255.

My Android TV Client send only one Packet with the 00:00:00:00:00:00  to the 255.255.255.255. This cant work.

Would it be possible (short term) to modify the clients so that the user could configure the WOL options, especially the MAC and the Broadcast Address, because i know that in my Network the 255.255.255.255 will not work.

I know i am not the only one with that kind problems here in the forum. Also a payload of 00:00:00:00:00:00  makes it impossible to intercept that packages on another machine which creates a correct WOL package as workaround.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Okay it has been a while since i tested this feature an i was never able to get it to work. Today i thought to give it another try, but the result is the same, my Emby Server (Docker running on unRaid) wont wake up.

I know WOL is working, i do it all the time, but it seems the Emby Clients are not capeable.

So i fired up Wireguard to see what the Emby Clients are actually sending.

My iOS client sends nine WOL Packets. The first two have a payload of 00:00:00:00:00:00 as Mac Address, so we can consider them useless. The other seven features various old Mac Adresses or even Mac's i dont know. They all are directed to 255.255.255.255.

My Android TV Client send only one Packet with the 00:00:00:00:00:00  to the 255.255.255.255. This cant work.

Would it be possible (short term) to modify the clients so that the user could configure the WOL options, especially the MAC and the Broadcast Address, because i know that in my Network the 255.255.255.255 will not work.

I know i am not the only one with that kind problems here in the forum. Also a payload of 00:00:00:00:00:00  makes it impossible to intercept that packages on another machine which creates a correct WOL package as workaround.

Hi, yes it's in our plans to allow you to enter this information into the server so that apps will know what addresses to send the broadcasts to. For now they're just hard-coded to the most typical values.

darkside40

Any time frame for that? The feature is available for several years now but must be considered mainly defunctional.  For example in my Network WOL only works if i send the magic packet to the broadcast of the subnet not to 255.255.255.255. And 00:00:00:00:00:00 is quite a bad value to hardcode.

To be honest that should be quite easy to fix for an experienced software engineer.

• Agree 1

Not sure I follow that.  You would normally send a magic packet to FF FF FF FF FF FF (hex), followed by sixteen repetitions of the target computer's 48-bit MAC address, for a total of 102 bytes.

However in today's world of WIFI it's becoming less and less useful since many wireless networks don't support this.

darkside40

I would say a Emby Server would be generally be located in a wired network, why would you use an unstable shared medium like Wifi for a media server.

Nevertheless the feature is available in most Emby Clients and it is useful, especially if you live somewhere where electricity prices are high. Unfortunately i would say it does not work in many situations.

Like i said, the fix should be really easy. Of course i cant tell it for sure because Emby is closed source. But i would appreciate if this problem could be sorted out in the near future.

• Agree 1

Have you tried any WOL utils to see if things are working correctly using a known testing client for WOL?

darkside40

Like i already stated above: I know my server is not the problem. WOL is working fine since years an does it today.

Doesnt matter if i use etherwake, node red or any other reasonable WOL Client. My Wireshark captures show that the Emby Clients are the problem. I dont know what magic they try to use to determinate the MAC Address of the Server but on iOS i get everything from nulled MAC's to MAC's i dont know or old MAC's of the server which were not use for years. On Android TV Emby tried to wake the Server with a nulled MAC. But you can read for yourself here:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@darkside40 is right and wireshark doesn´t lie..... i have the same problem 

a feature for adding MAC and IP would help a lot ;)

Edited by b0mb
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Book2001

I re installed Windows on the computer that my Emby Server is on. It was working perfectly on 4 televisions through the house. That was about a month ago. Now the apps on still on each tv, but the server shows up, but I done nearly everything to wake the server. Emby simply won't play anymore, except on the computer. It's just not connecting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
darkside40

Simple solution would be to make this Info (mac Address etc) configureable for the user.

10 hours ago, mxmh said:

the developer should add the mac adress from the server to the apps.. that´s all ^^

HI, we already do.

2 minutes ago, darkside40 said:

Simple solution would be to make this Info (mac Address etc) configureable for the user.

Yes exactly.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, darkside40 said:

Do we have any progress on this topic?

Not yet but this configuration is something we plan to add. For most servers we should already be able to detect the mac address.

• 1 month later...
darkside40

Another month passed with some Android TV beta's but i have not found a hint that this issue was addressed?

Are there any updates on this topic?

Deathmo

I would also be interested in this feature.

For me WOL on NVIDIA Shield .

Windows Sever 4.6.4.0 and Emby App 

2.0.38 does not work either.

Edited by Deathmo
  • Agree 1