The Single Biggest Problem With Emby And M3U Playlists - Botched Channel Ordering

cptv

Hey guys. I've read posts in the past about you guys working on your own channel management solution and totally understand that will take some time as that would be a large undertaking. However in the meantime can you guys please order the channels via their default order in the m3u playlist? I feel like that would easy to implement and would suffice for 90% of users. It's literally the only thing holding me back from using Emby as my main Live TV Viewing app.

Every other app I've used to to play Live TV orders the channels in the same order that they appear in the M3U playlist. VLC, Perfect Player, Kodi, GSE, you name it! Emby blows them all out of the water but is held back by its strange channel ordering. Most providers have already gone through the trouble of ordering their playlists in an organized fashion. However most (if not all) providers do not actually specify any sort of channel number tags in the m3u playlist. They expect the channels to be displayed in the order listed. The "55576.ts" numbers that Emby defaults to are usually random and result in a very garbled and unintuitive EPG.

tl;dr Add an option "Assign channel numbers by M3U playlist position" for Live TV tuners. If needed I would beta test the heck out of it. Cheers!

After the 3.6 release I plan to spend more time on channel management features which are obviously badly needed. Thanks !

The only way Ive managed arround this issue is order the channels using https://xtream-editor.com and then using telly, the HDHomeRun emulator https://github.com/tellytv/telly ) to import the itpv streams as a pretend HDHomerun and then it retains my channel number lineup

Thanks for the info! But Xtream-Editor > Telly (or xteve) > Plex was actually my old setup. One of the reasons I switched from Plex to Emby was for native m3u support and not having to mess around with HDHomerun emulators.

After the 3.6 release I plan to spend more time on channel management features which are obviously badly needed. Thanks !

I appreciate the reply but I hope you take my suggestion to heart. Full blown channel management is a large endeavor. In the meantime if you could make it so channels are by default numbered in the order they are listed in the m3u playlist (instead of by the pretty much random "55576.ts" numbering) that would suffice for the majority of users. It would be especially useful for those of us that are already using external m3u editors such as https://xtream-editor.com. It just seems silly that Emby takes our already curated ordering and turns it into a jumbled mess. No other m3u player does this.

timeslip1974

Thanks for the info! But Xtream-Editor > Telly (or xteve) > Plex was actually my old setup. One of the reasons I switched from Plex to Emby was for native m3u support and not having to mess around with HDHomerun emulators.

Its my carry over from Plex as well! its hardly ideal but hopefully the inbuilt Emby solution will be available before my subscription to  Xtream is up.....

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
bitteronthefruit

Not sure where we stand with this? So I do use Xstream-Editor and I have organized the channels as best I can but when I look at Emby > Guide > Channels the order is by channel id #1-X.  I was hoping I could save the channels I watch most as "favorites" and then push the "favorites" to the top. Some show up at the top but there is a mix of random channels that I don't watch that often that I would like pushed down. I thought before it did a great job of pushing "favorites" all to the top but I'm not seeing that now.

I hope in the future we can organize by TAGS so we can set this up more like a real cable provider, where you have all your news networks together, lifestyle networks, sports, etc rather than a disorganized mess.

ErikaJ

Good Day...I use notepad++ to manage my channel lineup. By using tvg-chno="4" this place that particular channel in the number 4 spot. You can also edit the group-title=xxxxx to set up your channel groups as you would like. I also use another free program that essesntialy does the same thing plus it keeps your m3u file updated in the event your provider eliminated or added some channels. Xlnt proggy...cheers...

EODCrafter

Good Day...I use notepad++ to manage my channel lineup. By using tvg-chno="4" this place that particular channel in the number 4 spot. You can also edit the group-title=xxxxx to set up your channel groups as you would like. I also use another free program that essesntialy does the same thing plus it keeps your m3u file updated in the event your provider eliminated or added some channels. Xlnt proggy...cheers...

A very bright man was using Telly, and decided it didn't do what he wanted so he created xTeVe...Marvelous Project! FREE!