IS there an Emby PS4 app??

Trippitaka

mrgreaper

To add to this, I just spent the better part of an evening setting up emby on a pine64 (think arm64 pi) dealing with the nightmare that is the "stable" version crashing when ever you transcode, installing the beta. Configuring my libraries and even making a start on sorting kodi for when I am at work (damn thing just wont sync right) 

All this because my friend only has a ps4 and I was going to buy him the ps4 app that is mentioned all over the site!

Turns out its not an app but a different browser site to the servers main one...this wouldnt be so bad but you want a monthly sub for me to access my media on my machine? I was expecting to have to pay a small one off fee for the app ($20 max) but that was for an actual app....not just a different browser page! 

As others have said, the site is incredibly misleading!

• 1 month later...
rrowland

Doesn't PLEX have a PS4 app? How'd they cut through the red tape?

Would love to see something for PS4 here. Running in the web browser is lame. There are a lot of issues, namely:

- Once in full screen mode, going back is the same button as leaving full screen mode (square). So I'm constantly going in and out of full screen mode.

- If the PS4 turns off while not on the main page (for instance, on a show/episode page) there seems to be no way to return to the home screen from the interface. I have to close the browser window and open a new one, or re-type the front page address in the address bar.

- The cursor doesn't always act as an app should. Many times it will jump to a button or other selectable item directly, but it will also somewhat unpredictably just move the cursor around the screen like a mouse.

In the mean time, what would you recommend for putting together a viewer with better native feeling support? I see you have apps for Roku, Amazon fire, chromecast. Are these all the same app or are they coded independently? I'm buying a new unit for this purpose, so which one would you say has the best experience?

Edited by rrowland

Jonathan1683

Hey Trippitaka,

I have this issue in some cases due to these issues,

1. The filename is wrong format some releases say 1e1 or something odd try to make sure they are S01E01 either way they should still show up, but they will not scrape properly.

2. You have the same release on two different drives and one is incomplete for some reason emby can't handle it so it excludes them completely. Not really a big deal as this helped me clean my garbage up a lot.

I installed the reports app which can show you all missing episodes you have this is really cool for finding missing episodes (i had 1000s) still working on fixing my library till this day it was such trash I didn't realize it.

Then once you find out what you are missing check your drives if you still have the episodes I check metadata manager. for that TV show if it shows 2 different versions of the same show most likely you have it on different drives and you should combine them or delete the half assed one you may have there by mistake like I did a few times.

You can also batch rename your files with a file renamer tool which is how i do it sometimes  because manually can get tedious.

Edited by Jonathan1683

• 3 weeks later...
hjason7812

The ps4 web works good the only thing that annoys me is that i can't listen to any of my music on it. Wish you could figure out a way to make music work on the ps4 browser through emby since it's clear that you aren't making an actual ps4 app. Hopefully you'll make a ps5 app though

Trippitaka

Hey Trippitaka,

I have this issue in some cases due to these issues,

1. The filename is wrong format some releases say 1e1 or something odd try to make sure they are S01E01 either way they should still show up, but they will not scrape properly.

2. You have the same release on two different drives and one is incomplete for some reason emby can't handle it so it excludes them completely. Not really a big deal as this helped me clean my garbage up a lot.

Thanks for that info. As it goes I'm really particular about my file organisation and naming convention so I know I only have one of each file and series are all labelled in the same fashion with S01E01 etc.

The point is moot though as I long since went back to Plex having eventually managed to speak to their support and I figured out why that wasn't working.

Plex isn't ideal, but they have an app that works well and it quickly matches and organises all my titles. Maybe one day I will revisit Emby if they are able to create an actual PS4 app, but to be honest I'll probably always be put off from it now due to the aforementioned marketing dishonesty.

Ingolfius

After a year with no emby, i give it a new chance. Still the same issues on my ps4. Handling with the controller is still creepy. And when i choose a movie and click on it, it shows me always another movie. I never get the movie i choosed. A new bug or whats the problem?

• 1 year later...
CyberPoison
On 12/7/2018 at 3:14 AM, Luke said:

Once you bookmark it and have it running full screen, it runs very well. We would love to have a PS4 app in the store in the future. Unfortunately it is not a store that is open to all developers, and you can learn a little bit about that by reading some user comments here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24518-ps4ps4-app/?p=601599

We are constantly re-evaluating this to see what is possible. In the meantime, the fullscreen browser app performs quite well. Thanks.

This, question is maybe dumb but what about ps5 does still the same conditions for uploading and make ps5 apps than ps4 apps? 

The future is ps5 it's support 4K HDR10 and Microsoft Xbox Support Dolby Vision 4K 

Looks like plex already have an ap for ps5 and i guess they have also for ps4

Edited by CyberPoison

• 3 months later...