IS there an Emby PS4 app??

Trippitaka

Trippitaka

Can we go over an example? There' a good chance that the same explanation will apply to a large number of them. Thanks.

I'm not sure how far we will get unless I can spot a pattern between everything that's missing. Plus I haven't even taken the trouble to figure out everything that is missing. I am looking at one particular directory which is a full season of 10 episodes of a TV show that didn't show up at all on Emby. They are all MKV files between 400 and 600MB. MKV isn't even the connection as I've spotted others which are different file formats.

If that's the case then I imagine that I was only aware that I was asking for artwork, etc, to be visible in Emby, as it is in other platforms that don't make me host all these files on my hard drives. Had I been aware then I might have either refused it or asked, if possible, for them all to be tidied away in a separate directory dedicated to them.

I will look at improving the settings dialog to help make it more clear of what each option does. Thanks.

I'm not sure how far we will get unless I can spot a pattern between everything that's missing. Plus I haven't even taken the trouble to figure out everything that is missing. I am looking at one particular directory which is a full season of 10 episodes of a TV show that didn't show up at all on Emby. They are all MKV files between 400 and 600MB. MKV isn't even the connection as I've spotted others which are different file formats.

Can we look at even one example?

Trippitaka

I'll try to explain this a little bit differently.  While I agree that saying there is an "App" for emby for the PS4 is a little misleading, many "Apps" run in a modified browser anyway.  You only have to go as far as a progressive web app to see what I mean.  The big difference between an App, and running something in a browser for you will probably be that native apps tend to be more permissive (Can read your files system, and make changes for example), and apps run fullscreen out of the box.  The server application is a native App that has sufficient permissions, and can handle things like file system changes, etc. You get nearly the same experience minus having to fullscreen either way. 

For the purpose of viewing content on your emby server, a web browser is all that is really needed.  I don't work for Emby but I can attest to the beta server channel being much faster.  Maybe you can install that, and see what issues your having afterwards.  PS4s are good for gaming but I think the XBox has taken the lead for applications like Emby. 

Thanks. Your explanation does provide some much better clarity on this topic than I've read before. However I think that it still would be much more honest and open to not use the word app to begin with as there are many people like me being misled by this description.

Regardless despite this issue leading to my initial annoyance it isn't what is stopping me using Emby now. I was willing to embrace the whole web browser platform, but sadly it just isn't working at all for me for a bunch of reasons that I've outlined in this thread. You've mentioned the PS4 being behind X-Box in this regard so I'm not sure if you are saying that this is the reason for it crashing the system and not running

You talked about installing a "beta server channel". I don't know what that is. Can you elaborate and is it likely to help me out?

I'm not sure how much more of people's time I should take up with this though. There would have to be some sort of sudden turnaround now for this to become a working system for me. Recently I've invested a bit more effort in trying to get Plex to respond to my queries about their system not working because, to be honest, until it all went wrong a few months ago it was a perfect flawless system. 

Oracle

Why do people keep repeating this? It makes me think that all the people defending the point are either working for Emby or are friends and family or something.

The point has nothing to do with how well it works in a browser. The point is the continual misdirection to make people think that there is a PS4 app... Just take a look at the top of this screen where it says Emby Apps --> Sony Playstation. Even the forum is set up to repeat the inaccuracy.

Hi. I do not work for Emby, nor do I know anyone on these forums personally. People repeat the use of tv.emby.media because it is all that is available right now for the Playstation 4. 

While I do agree that there may be some misdirection, if you take the time to read the Emby Apps -> Sony Playstation page, it states quite blunty that you need to use tv.emby.media for Emby to work on your PS4.

Additionally, the reason for the lack of a proper Emby client for the Playstation is due to the fact that the PS Store is not open for many developers to use. It is not the Emby development team's fault that there is not an Emby client for the PS4, but Sony's for making it too difficult.

Also, as @@Luke mentioned, you can use the full screen feature in the browser, and it works almost identically to a standard Emby Theater app.

More info can be found here: https://emby.media/emby-ps4.html

Trippitaka

Additionally, the reason for the lack of a proper Emby client for the Playstation is due to the fact that the PS Store is not open for many developers to use. It is not the Emby development team's fault that there is not an Emby client for the PS4, but Sony's for making it too difficult.

As I've said I am not criticising Emby for this. The only thing that has been annoying is the misdirection (albeit subjectively) of Emby referring to a PS4 app.

At this point I am way past all of this and am only really interested in getting to the reasons why it is not working properly... within the confines of the browser platform.

jachin99

Thanks. Your explanation does provide some much better clarity on this topic than I've read before. However I think that it still would be much more honest and open to not use the word app to begin with as there are many people like me being misled by this description.

Regardless despite this issue leading to my initial annoyance it isn't what is stopping me using Emby now. I was willing to embrace the whole web browser platform, but sadly it just isn't working at all for me for a bunch of reasons that I've outlined in this thread. You've mentioned the PS4 being behind X-Box in this regard so I'm not sure if you are saying that this is the reason for it crashing the system and not running

You talked about installing a "beta server channel". I don't know what that is. Can you elaborate and is it likely to help me out?

I'm not sure how much more of people's time I should take up with this though. There would have to be some sort of sudden turnaround now for this to become a working system for me. Recently I've invested a bit more effort in trying to get Plex to respond to my queries about their system not working because, to be honest, until it all went wrong a few months ago it was a perfect flawless system.

I think most people don't honestly know the difference between viweing a web page fullscreens, and an actual app. The best term from an advertising g perspective is probably app. If you go to the emby server download page and scroll down some you should see an option to download the beta. Betas are just releases that contain new features for testing. Emby is testing some features that make it load much quicker and I have beta deployed in two emby server. Plex betas are more closed off which might account for their having so many users flee to emby. It's confusing at first but once you figure one or two things out then you get more confident doing work to your server and clients.

jachin99

Most users want see emby succeed and have no problem working through issues so I wouldn't feel too bad about others giving their time

What information would you like to know?

What show is not showing up? What does the folder structure look like for the series & seasons? What content type is the library in emby library setup? Thanks !

Trippitaka

What show is not showing up? What does the folder structure look like for the series & seasons? What content type is the library in emby library setup? Thanks !

The one I was looking at is called The Terror. The folder structure is F:\TV\Comedy\Terror, The\The Terror S01E01. These are all MKV files between 400 and 600MB and that was just an example of the first episode of course. I'm not entirely sure what your last question meant. This is the first time now that I am giving thought to the folder having a very slightly different name from the files, which is set up in order to help alphabetical organisation. Could this be causing a problem with Emby?

F:\TV\Comedy\Terror, The\The Terror S01E01. 

Yeah, "Terror, The" is likely not being identified correctly.  I just did a search on TVDB for that and the first item that came up was "Age of Terror".  Do you by chance have that series showing in your system?

notla49285

Just to chip in about the word "app" - there are a lot of things that are covered by the word "app" a.k.a. "application" - technically a web page running an online-based interactive program (PHP, ASP.NET, etc) is an "app". The term "app" was introduced to the non-computing masses by Apple when iPhones first came about and people took this to mean actual installed programs on the device in front of them.

It's developer terminology vs end user terminology, so yes it can be misleading and maybe the Emby website should describe the PS4 facilities as a "web application" instead to avoid the "app" keyword.

Edited by notla49285
  • Like 1

Trippitaka

Yeah, "Terror, The" is likely not being identified correctly.  I just did a search on TVDB for that and the first item that came up was "Age of Terror".  Do you by chance have that series showing in your system?

No, there's no "Age of Terror." I'm not sure what TVDB is. Is this what Emby draws from? It would be strange if it is not picking up The Terror, although there is only one season.

This isn't a case of mismatches though. Emby only picked up half the content. It was the first thing that struck me when I opened it for the first time and went to TV shows - the fact that only a relatively small amount of shows were showing. Mismatches was the first idea to strike me as I could also see a number of things where it was just showing a thumbnail of one frame of the video and the title as I had typed it. With these ones I could fix them, but I came to the conclusion that the ones that are missing altogether is another problem entirely.

Trippitaka

I found TVDB and searched for "The Terror". The correct show appears 18th on the list, which is strange given the fact that it is the one with the exact name match.

Essentially what we do is take your title and plug it into the TVDB search engine, and the highest match is what we end up using, more or less.

Armageus

It's developer terminology vs end user terminology, so yes it can be misleading and maybe the Emby website should describe the PS4 facilities as a "web application" instead to avoid the "app" keyword.

That would probably be the easiest way to reduce any confusion

• 2 weeks later...

Yep,  Yet another Customer That fell into the trap.     Heard some talk of Emby supporting IPTV  downloaded the server on my laptop just to give it a shot and see before moving it over to my server.   Install the server, setup the IPTV, Realize that i have to pay for a premier sub, Fine, i get it give my 5 bucks for a month (There really should be at least a 7 day trial to make sure your setup can work with everything) , Add the IPTV m3u again,   doesn't work....     Go into the file and cut down a bunch of the streams so there is an easier chance of figuring out this mess.   reupload the file, good channels work, epg isn't whatever deal with that later, ok go to test it on the PS4 find out that even though it says Emby TV APPS that is essentially a clunky webpage, It's bad enough using it with a keyboard and mouse, but trying to do anything with the PS4 controller is like getting a root canal.    You can use any of the normal "ps4" functions like O for back.

The lack of a real PS4 App needs to be highlighted much better than it currently is.  At least i'm only out the 5 bucks.

mgworek

I just read that there are ps5 dev kits out there and Sony wants studio to focus on the ps5. We need someone in the game industry that is going to mainly focus on the ps5 to give you their ps4 kit. heh.

Edited by mgworek

• 1 month later...
Periphery

This too bad, for me the Emby website suggested that there is a Emby TV App for ps4 available, but I have to use the internal browser using http://tv.emby.media. But for me this has terrible performace and quality issues because my Emby server has to re-encode the movie on the fly to lower quality usable for the PS4 web browser. My Emby server doesn't have the power to do this, and even then I don't want to re-encode because I want to see and hear the movie in original high quality. And navigating a web app isn't quite the same feeling as a native app like the Plex app has.

Reading the forum now I understand the difficulties to develop a PS4 app. But still as a customer I feel mislead. I bought the Lifetime subscription plan because of the PS4 app and high quality movie streaming. But Emby is unusable for me now on the PS4. From the website I didn't expect at all that there is no native Emby app for PS4 capable of displaying high quality movies.

For now I went back to Plex server with the Plex app for my PS4 Pro with perfect performance and quality. I hope someday there will be a PS4 app, because on other platforms Emby looks very well and much better then Plex! I hope my Lifetime subscription plan will help development for the PS4 app some day. Meanwhile I will not advice anyone with a PS4 to use Emby. And the website should make this more clear.
  • Like 1

Ingolfius
" I hope my Lifetime subscription plan will help development for the PS4 app some day. Meanwhile I will not advice anyone with a PS4 to use Emby. And the website should make this more clear. "

I subcribed a year ago and said the ps4 option is laggy and bad in handling. Nothing has changed. You need the joystick/pointer to choose the movie you want to look. The other options of handling are full of bugs. 
Emby can´t read discstubs, maybe a good chance to organize and look Blurays with Emby/ps4. User and there wishes are not not Prio One.

And why should they make this more clear with the ps4-App? Idiots like me and you buy a lifetime license and then they see the disaster with the webbrowser. 

• 4 months later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Patiently waiting.  I know its not the same thing but the streaming of content to PS3 / PS4 via DLNA works flawlessly for me.

• 1 month later...
Castor234

I'm curious about emby on my PS4 as well. I know there's no app, and that's fine (not great) since it's not my main viewing platform. However, the enlmby website says to use the browser and go to tv.emby.media for emby theater. When I do this, it just loads the exact same interface as app.emby.media. Again this is OK, but not ideal. Am I doing something wrong? I don't have any issues with lag or low quality that some people are reporting, but for some reason when I make the browser full screen it cuts off the edges - an issue between the PS4 and my TV, not emby.

Can we get emby theater on my PS4?

I'm able to see all of my media in the native PS media player via DLNA, but for whatever reason the media player can't read the audio of my ripped DVDs (I verified the codecs and tried multiple. Not an emby issue, but it is why I want emby theater on my PS4.

notla49285

I'm curious about emby on my PS4 as well. I know there's no app, and that's fine (not great) since it's not my main viewing platform. However, the enlmby website says to use the browser and go to tv.emby.media for emby theater. When I do this, it just loads the exact same interface as app.emby.media. Again this is OK, but not ideal. Am I doing something wrong? I don't have any issues with lag or low quality that some people are reporting, but for some reason when I make the browser full screen it cuts off the edges - an issue between the PS4 and my TV, not emby.

Can we get emby theater on my PS4?

I'm able to see all of my media in the native PS media player via DLNA, but for whatever reason the media player can't read the audio of my ripped DVDs (I verified the codecs and tried multiple. Not an emby issue, but it is why I want emby theater on my PS4.

I believe the interface is the same for tv.emby.media, but the controls are different. You should be able to navigate between objects on screen using your PS4 controller rather than using the controller to move the cursor around and select them manually. Unless I'm mistaken?