Playlist Duplicates

PuffyToesToo

PuffyToesToo

Would it be feasible to have a dialogue box that alerts you when you are about to add an item to a playlist that already exists on that playlist? Thanks.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

This sort of thing is typically allowed with playlists though, right? I don't recall seeing any other app requiring a confirmation like this.

PuffyToesToo

My experience has been that, yes, you can add the same item as often as you want to playlists. I have several TV show playlists (For example, all Christmas episodes of various shows) which can contain hundreds of episodes.  When I am meticulously creating them by searching for said episodes, and come back to continue working on one sometime later, I can forget where I left off, and the confirmation dialogue would simply be a nice feature to have for this purpose. 

• 6 months later...
DerrickM

Didn't see this request anywhere so...

I would like to see a prompt when I try to add a song to a playlist that already contains that song. Something like:

"This song is already in this playlist, Add anyways?"

"OK         Cancel"

So I dont have to have two windows open to make sure I'm not duplicating songs in my playlist.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
HouseOfCards

Exactly the question I had.  It's hard to build music playlists over time because who knows if you previously added a particular song to a music playlist when you have thousands and thousands of songs.  Just a pop up that says "it's already in there, would you like to add the duplicate entry (yes/no)" would be great.

Edited by SWORMUTH
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 8 months later...
HouseOfCards

Did this ever get any progress?  I just built a new server and will be creating playlists down the road...

3 hours ago, HouseOfCards said:

Did this ever get any progress?  I just built a new server and will be creating playlists down the road...

Hi, no, but this is something we're interested in adding in future updates. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Mister Steve

My like bumped this one up to a measly 10 likes after 4.5 years.  Honestly I expected this feature out of the box, to me it seems more like a defect fix than an enhancement request.   

Would it be within the capability of a plug-in to either prevent duplicates, or upon an event or schedule to search/delete duplicates?  if so I might try my hand at plug-in development.

• Agree 2

PuffyToesToo
9 hours ago, Mister Steve said:

My like bumped this one up to a measly 10 likes after 4.5 years.  Honestly I expected this feature out of the box, to me it seems more like a defect fix than an enhancement request.   

Would it be within the capability of a plug-in to either prevent duplicates, or upon an event or schedule to search/delete duplicates?  if so I might try my hand at plug-in development.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more! 

HouseOfCards

The frustrating thing for developer Gods like @Luketo consider is this really doesn't seem like anything that requires a redesign to implement.  And the quality of the improvement would be immediately relevant.  For those of us with thousands and thousands of songs in our libraries, maintaining a playlist like "Awesome Songs" means that when I hear a song and remember that it is in fact "awesome", I have to check a playlist which already contains hundreds of songs and search to see if I thought it was "awesome" 9 months ago.  Otherwise, I'm adding things over and over to the same playlists.

It seems like a couple lines of code fixes this.  I'm no coder, but the logic seems simple enough...  When you click the "add to playlist" button a simple script of code runs.  1, check if track exists in playlist...  2, if no, continue...  3, if yes, ask to confirm adding anyway...  4, confirm, continue...  5, cancel, stop...

Unless I'm missing the incredible complexity required here, for the love of God, guys!  🤣  Just do it this afternoon.  🤩

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Armageus
On 18/03/2023 at 18:04, HouseOfCards said:

Unless I'm missing the incredible complexity required here, for the love of God, guys!  🤣  Just do it this afternoon.  🤩

Because apparently instead of adding a new feature no matter how experimental or rushed quickly to the Beta version (which is exactly what a Beta version should be for), they spend months writing absolutely "perfect" unrushed code, with months between "Beta" releases..

(Unfortunately the "perfect" code then needs several hotfixes, thus negating the supposed "perfect" code development cycle)

1 hour ago, Armageus said:

Because apparently instead of adding a new feature no matter how experimental or rushed quickly to the Beta version (which is exactly what a Beta version should be for), they spend months writing absolutely "perfect" unrushed code, with months between "Beta" releases..

(Unfortunately the "perfect" code then needs several hotfixes, thus negating the supposed "perfect" code development cycle)

Hi, that's really not true. We don't normally have long gaps in between betas. This is just a one-time exception to that.

• Agree 1

HouseOfCards

Yeah, I'm not beating up on anyone.  Things can get lost in translation, but this is complicated stuff with all the variables, security issues, multiple platforms, etc...  This one just seems like it's a quick improvement that wouldn't require too much to get a "win".  It really is a big deal for playlist functionality. 

• Agree 1

Mister Steve

As a workaround on Linux, I went to the emby data/playlists/[playlist name] folder and ran awk '!a[$0]++' '[playlist name.m3u]' and saved the output back over the playlist m3u file.  Then ran a library scan and the duplicates were removed.  The awk command also removes repeat artist and album identifiers but it doesn't seem to matter.  Do this at your own risk, the Emby team didn't spend months perfecting this code. 😉

Edited by Mister Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...