Best Emby STB

danjb

First I apologize for a post that is similar to many others. I've read through the forums and not seen this exact question asked recently (since I gather Emby has evolved quite a bit in 2018) so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I've run Plex forever and am looking at switching to Emby because of better Live TV support. Of course the Android / IOS mobile clients and the web client are important, but the most critical thing for me is a set-top-box client running a TV optimized 10-foot UI like Emby Theater. Optimally this would meet these criteria:

1. Fanless hardware under $250
  2. IR remote control
  3. Supports large number of formats
  4. Outputs latest audio (DD, DTS, DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD) / video (1080p, 4K, HDR) features
  5. Rock solid turnkey with no updates popping up over the Emby UI, no other superfluous UI that vies for user attention. Should be like a STB running Emby.
  6. Gets lots of attention and updates

I run Plex Media Player on a Zotac CI520 (Core i3-4020Y w/HD Graphics 4200) and a Asus Chromebox-M004U with Flirc's. It doesn't do 4K or HDR, but otherwise is good against all these criteria except #6 (doesn't have a live TV grid guide yet), which is why I'm looking at Emby.

I get the impression my best choice for this with Emby is an Nvidia Shield or a Windows HTPC running Emby Theater for Windows. It seems tough to do the latter and meet criteria #1 and #5. So, I guess an Nvideo Shield is the way to go. Some questions:

• The Zotac has 8GB of RAM, so conceivably could have Windows installed on it. But, it's probably pretty underpowered for that. Should I try this to run Emby Theater for Windows, is it worth it?
  • Can the Shield be set up so it automatically launches into the Emby UI and stays in Emby without having to have some master "Shield UI" that has to be navigated?
  • Do I give up much in terms of #3, #4, and #6 running the Shield versus a full blown Windows HTPC?
  • Am I missing another option?

Jdiesel

I think the Shield TV meets all requirements except #2 but you said you already own a FLIRC so that shouldn't be an issued. 

I would say the a HTPC fails #5 and always will as long as it is running Windows. Unfortunately Emby doesn't currently has a minimal appliance like Linux distro that contains Emby Theater like Plex does.

unhooked

The shield supports IR, I don't bother with it as CEC just works.

Since it runs android you can just use the launch on boot app, but after you see the shied you

might want to change your mind about using that as emby supports the new android launcher as well.

You could also just turn off everything buy emby on the home screen, but you'd be missing a lot of what the box can do.

• Like 1

nyplayer

The shield supports IR, I don't bother with it as CEC just works.

Since it runs android you can just use the launch on boot app, but after you see the shied you

might want to change your mind about using that as emby supports the new android launcher as well.

You could also just turn off everything buy emby on the home screen, but you'd be missing a lot of what the box can do.

I do not think the New Shields support IR back in 2015 they did.... Only the 500GB Pro version has an IR-Receiver

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 1

I do not think the New Shields support IR back in 2015 they did.... O

nly the 500GB Pro version has an IR-Receiver

The pro model does, the standard model that most people will use does not. Flirc or any Logitech remote with the Logitech hub which will connect to the shield via Bluetooth.

Another vote for the shield here too. I was running Libreelec on the intel nuc with the emby kodi addon. I just upgraded all my boxes to the shield and won't look back. It checks all your boxes except IR and that's a cheap fix and will still bring you in under budget.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

nyplayer

The pro model does, the standard model that most people will use does not. Flirc or any Logitech remote with the Logitech hub which will connect to the shield via Bluetooth.

Another vote for the shield here too. I was running Libreelec on the intel nuc with the emby kodi addon. I just upgraded all my boxes to the shield and won't look back. It checks all your boxes except IR and that's a cheap fix and will still bring you in under budget.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I did mention that the Pro Model does have IR … The Shield is the best.

I assume if you have a Flirc there is no reason to buy the Pro model, since I do not plan to store any media on the Shield itself?

I also use a Harmony with hub. I see various things that indicate the Shield can be controlled by the hub via bluetooth or via network. So in theory I might not even need a Flirc I presume.

Jdiesel

I assume if you have a Flirc there is no reason to buy the Pro model, since I do not plan to store any media on the Shield itself?

I also use a Harmony with hub. I see various things that indicate the Shield can be controlled by the hub via bluetooth or via network. So in theory I might not even need a Flirc I presume.

Correct, no need for a FLIRC if you have a Harmony Hub.

You can get a Xiaomi Mi Box for less than half the price of an Nvidia Shield, and their video streaming performance and UI are completely identical (Their specs are near identical as well). The main difference between the two (aside from the price) is that the Shield is built for gaming, whereas the Mi Box could overheat if gaming for a long time with it; for a video STB though, it functions essentially exactly the same as a Shield, and (some people think) it has a better remote.

Jdiesel

You can get a Xiaomi Mi Box for less than half the price of an Nvidia Shield, and their video streaming performance and UI are completely identical (Their specs are near identical as well). The main difference between the two (aside from the price) is that the Shield is built for gaming, whereas the Mi Box could overheat if gaming for a long time with it; for a video STB though, it functions essentially exactly the same as a Shield, and (some people think) it has a better remote.

Specs aren't everything though. The Mi Box is loaded with bugs and has aweful support. For the basic user it will likely be a fine device but more demanding users will be disappointed they didn't get the Shield TV.

Specs aren't everything though. The Mi Box is loaded with bugs and has aweful support. For the basic user it will likely be a fine device but more demanding users will be disappointed they didn't get the Shield TV.

Can I ask what more demanding users will get out of the Shield that they won't from the Mi Box? (I don't own either yet, I'm just curious; aside from gaming, they seem near identical).

Jdiesel

Can I ask what more demanding users will get out of the Shield that they won't from the Mi Box? (I don't own either yet, I'm just curious; aside from gaming, they seem near identical).

The big one being auto refreshrate switching for smooth playback of 23.97/24f fps videos. The other being around some network adapter bugs. 

This Kodi post does a pretty good job of tracking the bugs and firmware revisions.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083&pid=2339247#pid2339247 

So what Harmony settings are you guys using with FLIRC on the ShieldTV?

I grabbed one for a CableTV STB and it works pretty well save for not having a "Home" button requiring many Return presses sometimes and not letting me program my Harmony 900's to land on the homescreen on shutdown.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy