Can't watch movies when not on Wifi

Guest asrequested
Go to solution Solved by cmh32765,

Guest asrequested

Hi guys. First let me say, excellent software, I love it. A job well done. Ok, so here's my problem, and I'm sure this has been addressed, but I can't seem to find my answer. I have server set up, Android app installed, Theater installed. I have everything set up and running, but even after port forwarding (I have an Arris TG862G/CT router) I can't watch my movies on my mobile. When I use the browser (chrome), I can logon to the dashboard and view my library, but the movies just won't start. Using the app when not on wifi, putting in the port and/or address, gets me nothing at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Doofus

Redshirt

playback should work over mobile. Have you made sure your cellular bitrate settings aren't too high or too low in the client settings.

Guest asrequested

Hi guys. I have tried the bitrate at the lowest setting, and nothing changed. I tested to make sure the ports were open successfully. I just tried changing the IP, some success. Now I can access the library, but on trying to play a file, it won't (just the same as when I access it through a browser), and now the app crashes over and over. I have sent the reports in. It crashes just letting it stay in the library and not even trying to watch something. I have other server software on my system (unified remote) to allow me control of my PC, and it works perfectly. Its using a different port, so I wasn't thinking there was conflict, but maybe?

And now when I switch my phone back to wifi (where it worked perfectly) it won't connect at all :/

My mobile is an HTC One max

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

My media folder is in the root directory of a drive that is used exclusively for my movie files, all of which are in their own sub folders. I can scroll through the movies using the app easily, but when I try to play one, it brings up the cover pic of the movie, doesn't play, then after a few seconds goes back to the previous screen. On the plus side, the remote feature seams to work great.

It would seem that I can't use the wifi connection once I've entered the external IP and connected to the server. I have to re-install the app for the wifi to work again :/

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Sorry guys. Ok, I followed the steps in the guide, using the path suggested (thanks for that vidman) but there is no change in functionality. It works fine until I try to play a movie. I've attached the latest log file. Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by Doofus

Tikuf

Yes.

Force stop the android app (from settings/app manager on your phone)  and then >

Clear out all the logs from the phone found on your sd card (usually) in dir>  mb3androiddata/logs

Make sure you have your port forwarding working.

Make sure you are accessing the correct ip / ddns name.

Looking at your existing log there are a heap of network errors. Check your firewall (turn it off for testing)

Try adjusting the bitrate down/up for mobile connect (in android settings).

Try turning off hls see if you get the same results (in android settings).

Post back here with results and

New device logs.

Attach a Transcode log

Attach a Clean debug server log (http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1209-getting-useful-logs-media-info/)

Edited by Tikuf

Guest asrequested

I uninstalled the app, deleted all logs, both on server and mobile, disabled the firewalls on router and PC, tested my port was open, it is, retried playing a movie and got the same results. The menu works perfectly, but won't play. I have attached fresh server and app logs. I also enable transcoding and debugging logs in the server. I hope this helps. Thanks again.

Edit Removed client logs (contained external ip)

Edited by Tikuf

Tikuf

Was there a transcode log? The server log has no info in it at all

Edit I removed your client logs as they exposed your external ip (i have the links here and will forward them to red)

May I hook up to your server for a test?

Edited by Tikuf

Guest asrequested

Sure you can run a test, my firewall is back up though, the transcode log just popped up, I'll attach it and reattach the server log..... the transcode log is too big to attach

Edited by Doofus

Tikuf

I just resumed the 300 from your server and started to play adore without any issues.

Which movie were you having problems with?

Edited by Tikuf

Menissalt

Try turning off HLS in the settings of the Android App. I can't play on 3G/4G with this on, it makes everything run incredibly slow.

Guest asrequested

Thanks for your help guys, but I believe my phone carrier, Sprint, has put a universal block on streaming media this way, that's why the menu works fine but the movie doesn't play. They told me that too many people were using their data to watch tv and so they've blocked it. I'm screwed! Thanks again.

Guest asrequested

Redshirt, that one I tried with no success.

Tikuf, I'm gonna give that a try, but my phone is new and the OS just updated. That post was from 3 years ago, so I hope they haven't changed too much, so the procedure is workable. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks guys 

Edited by Doofus

• 2 weeks later...
Menissalt

Thanks for your help guys, but I believe my phone carrier, Sprint, has put a universal block on streaming media this way, that's why the menu works fine but the movie doesn't play. They told me that too many people were using their data to watch tv and so they've blocked it. I'm screwed! Thanks again.

I'm sorry, but that's just flat out wrong. Sprint doesn't block anything in their Unlimited plans unless you are in the top 1% of users and are roaming or in a congested area, and then they only throttle. I use Sprint and blow through 2-5Gbs on my line alone between Netflix, tethering, and MB3. 

Have you tried turning off HLS yet?

• Solution
cmh32765

Actually, I was having this same issue, am a Sprint user and found this to be helpful. (This is a known Sprint issue)

This link contains the same info as the one Tikuf posted about in #20 of this thread.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html

I will post a quick clip of the information here so we are all on the same page. I also added some extra stuff found from other places for the complete fix...

1. got my MSL via an play store app called "Get My MSL"
  2. Dial ##3282# (also known as ##DATA#)
  3. Choose Edit Mode (note: you can enter View Mode at this point without an MSL, it's quite harmless)
  4. Enter MSL
  5. Choose Others
  6. Choose Multimedia
  7. Change RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
  8. Change RTSP proxy port to: 0
  9. Change HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
  10. Change HTTP proxy port to: 0
  11. choose back
  12. choose DSS
  13. Change DSS Proxy Server I.P. address to: 0.0.0.0
  14. Change DSS Proxy port: 0
  15. chose back
  16. choose back again
  17. choose "data profile"
  18. Change "Reverse tunnel Preferred" to: disabled
  19. choose back
  20. choose back again
  21. exit out of the Data Programming section and dialer
  22. reboot phone
  23. In Mediabrowser android client, make sure HLS Support is: ON

I tested this on a sprint GS4 and the "get my MLS" app did not work at first until I opened the dialer entered "##3282#", clicked edit, entered "000000". That gave an incorrect login message. Then closed out of the dialer, opened back up the app and it worked. It has been said that Root is NOT required, but I don't know as I have root on this phone.

Upsides to this is that it has been shown to speed up your connections and fix streaming media issues under Sprint.

This fixed my issue of being able to stream media to my phone.

I am going to test this setup on my Tabs next. I'll get back here and let everyone know what I find...

Edited by cmh32765

Menissalt

Actually, I was having this same issue, am a Sprint user and found this to be helpful. (This is a known Sprint issue)

This link contains the same info as the one Tikuf posted about in #20 of this thread.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html

This isn't an intentional throttle, it's a by product of using Sprint services (i.e. TV) through any network. Granted, the services are junk and this shouldn't be in place, but there are many people who utilize the features and make sprint a lot of money. 

That said, thanks for the share. HLS is still incredibly slow and doesn't work over LTE for me (granted LTE in my area is really slow). 

• 9 months later...
Guest asrequested

Menissalt, Sprint were the people who told me they limit streaming. Yes, I have had HLS disabled and I've had one on one support from these guys. Nothing has worked.

cmh327565, I was unable to acquire my MSL, using your advice.

I have an HTC One Max. On wifi it works well, but not on Sprint. I have great cell signal with LTE bandwidth of around 12 Mb. The media won't even start.

Update

cmh327565 I finally got my MLS and tried your solution. IT WORKED! You're awesome, Thank you!

Edited by Doofus