Offer to delete show after watching

miniz98

miniz98

Hey this is a problem that I see allot. Can you give the option to delete everywhere. Some menus don't give you the option. Example. From main screen on shield I have latest tv shows. When I click on the show and say play next when the show is done if you click the ... There is no option to delete the show. I have to go back and then long press the show to delete. Version 1.6.65 thanks. The whole delete system needs to be worked on. When a show is done it should ask to delete it.

• Like 7

The delete option on the screen you are describing would delete the Entire Series not the episode you just watched so its probably a good thing it isn't there.

So, I gather what you are actually asking for here is a dialog right after playback offering you the option to delete the item you just finished - correct?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
Guest AllRoCol

Some people collect and never delete, some collect and delete some things, and some collect and delete everything they watch. Some don't collect very much and delete as they go.

I understand that most, if not all of the people that work on Emby collect, without deleting, and don't see much of a need for features that go against that. This is why an idea like having a sort for the amount of episodes left unwatched fell on deaf ears. I get that even though many people do delete, at least sometimes, that Emby will never be built for a person like that. One of the bigger issues is that a lot of people are like that, so we just get left on the outside.

With that said, I actually don't understand why this feature never got added. In all of the years of Embys existence.

If you delete as you go, you don't get to enjoy the next up popup or the smooth transition to the next episode. Instead you have to leave, then go out of your way to make a number of extra moves to delete said file.

If you went in off Next Up/Continue Watching, then you have to click in again and find the previous episode, going even further into it if it was in a different season.

If you are really unlucky, you are keeping up with the show and it disappears from there and you have to do a manual search for it, pull it up, then go in, click on the season, and then you can delete it.

If you are on the page of the show when it starts, then you still have to click the arrow over to see it, then you can click to delete it.

You can risk clicking the delete all (Then select last episode), but then if you misclick you are really going to know it. A little dance with the devil.

It would be much smoother to just have an option to ask if one wishes to delete the episode, before it transitions to the next episode or finishes closing out after a viewing. Then we can all enjoy it and people that don't delete can go without seeing it. The people that do can select delete and it moves on to where you want it to go. No automation (That way you don't lose anything if you accidentally finished or want to keep it), but it just requires a click to say delete.

You could make it fancier, like delete and leave or delete and view next episode, but it could also just follow what the user chooses to do. If you don't go to the next episode automatically, it closes out the same way it normally does. If you do, it moves to the next episode.

I would love to just be able to use Emby a normal way, someday. This is why I am replying to this. Hoping that it maybe gets some notice. It's a good idea and would no doubt benefit a decent percentage of Emby users.

Thanks.

rbjtech

2 years later .. lol .. I guess this never got any traction ..😜

I think this is a lot more complicated than people make out.

Sure, I could delete a show - but what if somebody else wants to watch it ?

Giving people 'delete' permissions on any library is just asking for trouble imo ..  on my setup, nobody gets delete privilege except the Admin

A 'safer' way of doing this is with a 'purge' task that looks at a) items or a library type (TV Recordings for example) potentially marked for deletion b) watched status and c) age of the item since added and/or watched.

If the item has been watched, is say 3 months old and is marked for potential deletion - then it will be removed by the system - maybe into a 'purged' library for a further 3 months - and then finally deleted for good.  It could even say 'this show is being removed soon' or something like that to warn the users of it's pending deletion ..

This probably isn't that hard to do via the API and/or a plugin as all the above is readily available in the dB .. 

Edited by rbjtech

Guest AllRoCol

There are likely a lot of people that use Emby without other users, as well as no one that would just hand out deletion to everyone.

You are right that you wouldn't want to give them permission to delete, but like with the Plex delete after watching feature, only the Admin actually counts for it. I wouldn't ever expect they would make this for anyone that didn't have an admin account.

There tends to be a lack of features for two Emby user groups. People that delete after watching and people that are solo users for their setups. I would guess that combined, with overlap on some, it makes up a decent percentage of overall Emby users. It seems no one that works on it actually belongs to either group, so that creates a problem. No one ever pushes for even basic features that can make life easier for either or both groups.

I think it would be a good feature. I wanted it back when I first got Emby, but never said anything. Recently it has gotten on my nerves a lot more having to jump through hoops to delete each episode as I finish them. My collection is about 6000 shows (Usually a season at a time) and 12000 movies when it is full (I am redoing it right now and it's only half full). I fill out over 200TBs. I like to delete as I go because space eventually is needed and I like to keep it at where I am, not to mention it then sends unmonitors in Sonarr/Radarr and drops it from the collection on Trakt. Useful stuff.

GrimReaper

I am one of those that never deletes anything, nor do I give the privilege to any user to do it. But some of the points @AllRoCol made have been well argumented: if a need for deletion ever arose, I can imagine lack of that option would irk me more than a bit, to say the least, so I can relate. And I reckon that "Delete" dialog upon Movie/Episodes reaches "Watched" status, over precentage set in Library settings, should be offered as an option. Personally, I couldn't care less for such an option, but I do consider it a QoL improvement that might go a long way for certain group of users. 

rbjtech

At the end of the day, the Admin is responsible for their own server and data content and it seems perfectly reasonably to want this feature if you are the sole user.

In your scenario - If you have 'watched' an item would this automatically mean it could be 'removed' ?  If yes, then a solution could simply be a scheduled script that removes anything that has been watched - you wouldn't even need to acknowledge a 'delete me' option after watching .. ? 

Guest AllRoCol

Assuming you didn't accidentally mark something watched and never wanted to keep anything you finished, that would work. There could be an option to auto delete after x amount of time, ask for delete, or the default (As it is right now).

5 hours ago, AllRoCol said:

With that said, I actually don't understand why this feature never got added. In all of the years of Embys existence

Hi.  The fact that no one has posted in this request in two years indicates to us that, while we understand the importance of this feature to you, not very many of our users find it important at this time.

That doesn't mean it will never happen.  It just means it probably doesn't get to the top of the list very fast.

Thanks.

Guest AllRoCol

I understand. I was hoping that logic would win out, as Emby tends to be built for only certain people and the rest have to handle things in a bit more of a counter-intuitive way.

I wouldn't overly trust the feature requests activity, as it took a few tries to find it, as well as it sounding like a different post in both the topic title and the first post. It doesn't seem like there is much action on most old feature requests, period. There are a lot of ones that I would think are more logical than a lot of the actual features added in.

I never see any movement on anything that isn't for non-deleting collectors or live TV viewers (Can't believe people still watch/pay for live TV). I would bet any amount of money that there are many people like me who would appreciate it if we were thrown a bone once in a while. There is no way it is only people who share their servers with a bunch of people.

I think I'm going to start exploring Kodi as a front end and other options that are built a bit more logically. I like Emby, but there are quite a few things that feel like they are a lot more steps than they need to be. I'd rather use a system built for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback.😜

So I started this topic a while ago. It would be nice to have a option of deleting the show after watching it. For instance when the show is done it prompts you delete episode? or Keep episode? I use a hdhomerun for the tv shows and works well. Its not a deal breaker just would be nice.

• 7 months later...
ThePrice

I second this request. There are shows and movies that I know I'll never watch again and there are others that are keepers, and I have limited disk space. And the best time to decide this is right after watching.

Ideally I would like for this to work like this:

After watching an episode, or when skipping past the end, a dialogue pops up with three choices:

• Delete [this episode/clip/movie]
  • Keep [mark it as a keeper and don't ask again]
  • Decide later [the dialogue will pop up again after next watching]

Now, of course this would not be enable by default as it would just annoy those who wouldn't use the feature. But it would be truly useful for some of us that want to keep the library trimmed.