HD HomeRun Question

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

Looking at getting an hdhomerun Quatro for use with Emby. 

I read somewhere that a yearly subscription is required for it. Is this needed if I only feed it in to emby?

also will emby be able to use all 4 tuners to stream live TV / record or will it only see 1?

No subscription is required using emby with quatro tuners. If you want enhanced guide data you can use epg123 with schedules Direct. Very soon that will not be required at all because emby will get guide data directly from Gracenote.

Not only will Emby see all four tuners it uses smart tuner pooling so that if two clients request the same station it only uses one of the available tuners. I have mine set up with two quattros for a total of 8 available tuners.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

kanipek

Looking at getting an hdhomerun Quatro for use with Emby. 

I read somewhere that a yearly subscription is required for it. Is this needed if I only feed it in to emby?

also will emby be able to use all 4 tuners to stream live TV / record or will it only see 1?

A subscription to the HDHR DVR is not required - But you will need a premiere subscription to Emby for LiveTV.

I am not sure the HDHR DVR is ever going to get finished - as they originally envisioned it, sad to say. 

kanipek

How did they originally envision it?

Well this was a number of years ago by now. But essentially it was proposed for "Windows", Android and other platforms and oh by the way here is an immediate add-on for Kodi. It all sounded really great - However "windows" soon became Windows 10 only an was like the last platform that got and actual working DVR app. DRM is still not implemented for those that need it (not me) and quite frankly the DVR software is not great. Can't tune to a channel by entering the numbers on your remote - has to be done via the OSD I/F, The EPG is not reliable - never has been. You can't set up the DVR software and just let it run, channels frequently go missing guide data. There is no grid based guide - wasn't promised but definitely needed. They did however manage to get the Channels DVR available for free - guide data is $8 a month. That's off the top of my head, sure I am leaving a a few things.

I have to qualify all of that by saying this whole DVR kickstarter they came up with - I mean those things are always a "this is what we want to do" type of thing so I am not angry about it, just disappointed. Hopefully it will one day get there.

Edited by kanipek

runtimesandbox

Interesting to know. I have only really just started looking in to them after finding out about them from Emby and this forum.