Cannot watch in-progress recordings

Spotta

Hi.

I've now had enough of switching back and forth between WMC and Emby so I've bought a HD Homerun and have been trying out the Emby Live TV / DVR functions. I have two issues that I'm not sure are related or not.

1. Under the Live TV section of my homescreen if I click Recordings there is nothing there. I am recording directly to \\SrvName\Recordings, which I have added to my Library and I can access my recordings from here to watch.

2. I cannot watch an in-progress recording (ET, Web client or ET for rPi) they all state the length as being 1 minute and I can watch this 1 min but no more until way after the program has finished recording. the files are all .ts

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7nuigkf0433m30/embyserver.txt?dl=0 

Edited by Spotta

Under the Live TV section of my homescreen if I click Recordings there is nothing there. I am recording directly to \\SrvName\Recordings, which I have added to my Library and I can access my recordings from here to watch.

Did you configure this as your recording directory?

Any idea's on why I cannot watch in progress recordings, I have searched the forums myself but cannot find anyone else who has had a similar problem with the 1 minute limit.

Any idea's on why I cannot watch in progress recordings, I have searched the forums myself but cannot find anyone else who has had a similar problem with the 1 minute limit.

I have this problem only when using the Android Mobile app. So if I'm on my phone I have a link to the Web app and it works. Quite annoying.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Please describe your problem in more detail and provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Sorry Luke, I was a bit quick with my response to the above question.

As I suffer from some hearing loss, I need subtitles to be turned on, and it is this that does not work in the android app and Theater, when watching in-progress recordings.

Subtitles work fine in the Web App when watching in-progress recordings accessed from the guide.

Please feel free move this to a more appropriator forum.

And let me know if you need more info.

I thought Luke's reply was to me! so have spent the morning getting more details  ;)

I started recording BBC Breakfast this morning at 7:57 as as test, it's currently 8:29 and when I try to watch the recording it tells me it's only 1m 7 seconds long.

Here is a screenshot taken at 8:32 showing the recording in Emby as 1 minute long, and also showing the folder it's being recorded to which shows the file creation time as 7:57, the size of the file, which is right for a 30 minute recording and also the current time as 8:32.
attached: emby-1.jpg

Here is a screenshot showing me watching the recording at 8:37 when it should be 40 minutes long, as you can see I can only watch 1 minute 7 seconds of it before it ends.
attached: emby-2.jpg

I stopped recording at 8:39
Here is a screenshot taken at 8:40 with the length still showing as 1 min.
attached: emby-3.jpg

I am refreshing the page every 5 minutes. here is a screenshot of it at 8:57 with the recording still showing as 1 min long, and also showing the actual recording on disk.
attached: emby-4.jpg

Now at 9:10 - still 1 min long, now refreshing every 15 minutes as I've got stuff to do!
attached: emby-5.jpg

Screenshot from my phone at 9:20 to show it affects all devices.
attached: emby-6.png

Now we're at 1 hour after the program finished recording - still shows as 1 min long, when played I can watch 1m7s only.
attached: emby-7.jpg

10:57 - same. decided to restart the emby service on server - still same.
11:00 - Rebooted the server. time of recorded clip still shown as 1min. I can watch the first 1m7s of it. 
attached:v emby-8.jpg

Here we are at 12:05 still the same
attached: emby-9.jpg

Normally we record/watch programs in the late evening. they are normally watchable and showing the correct length by the next evening so I have no idea how long this takes to right itself. I'll keep checking and once it shows up correctly I'll make a new post and include all logs

post-100786-0-49956800-1544098132_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-29529900-1544098142_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-87250400-1544098150_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-13507000-1544098156_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-14377700-1544098162_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-49574500-1544098169_thumb.png

post-100786-0-45131400-1544098180_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-92879500-1544098186_thumb.jpg

post-100786-0-22931600-1544098194_thumb.jpg

muppets4

It is not you. It is Emby. It is requested in feature wishes a few times to be able to watch recordings while they are playing. I can only play one minute too. And I guess everyone else too. If I have to guess it has something to do with the location of the temp file while recording. Windows MCE did not have this problem. MCE even added the time while recording, so you did not have to start it multiple times while watching and recording at the same time. 

It is just absent. Like any form of channel management.

It is not you. It is Emby. It is requested in feature wishes a few times to be able to watch recordings while they are playing. I can only play one minute too. And I guess everyone else too. If I have to guess it has something to do with the location of the temp file while recording. Windows MCE did not have this problem. MCE even added the time while recording, so you did not have to start it multiple times while watching and recording at the same time. 

This is not true.  Everyone does not have this issue.  Most people can watch in-progress recordings just fine.

So we need to get to the bottom of why it isn't working for these few.

Thanks.

muppets4

This is not true.  Everyone does not have this issue.  Most people can watch in-progress recordings just fine.

So we need to get to the bottom of why it isn't working for these few.

Thanks.

I stand corrected. I do have the one minute problem. It must have been added somewhere, because I remember having the other problem. The second part of my message, about not being able to watch a recording in one run. I always only had what was recorded the moment I started the recording. An ongoing recording has to be restarted a few times to get to the end.

I stand corrected. I do have the one minute problem. It must have been added somewhere, because I remember having the other problem. The second part of my message, about not being able to watch a recording in one run. I always only had what was recorded the moment I started the recording. An ongoing recording has to be restarted a few times to get to the end.

Lets try and figure out what we have in common then.

I'm running on Win 10 x64 1803 build 17134.345, 

The OS is stock, but I disable Defender using Defender control https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-3/

I record to a Stablebit Drivepool

I was on the beta channel many months ago and also running WS2016 Essentials. When I went back to Win 10, I used the Portable version of Emby (x64) stored in the non standard location of C:\Emby as I wanted it totally self contained to make a move easier in the future, it was a clean install when moving to the Stable channel but I used the backup plugin to move my existing users/library/watched items.

I'll add anything else I think may be helpful as I remember.

also 15:19 here now, and still shows as 1 min. 

muppets4

Lets try and figure out what we have in common then.

I'm running on Win 10 x64 1803 build 17134.345, 

The OS is stock, but I disable Defender using Defender control https://www.sordum.org/9480/defender-control-v1-3/

I record to a Stablebit Drivepool

I was on the beta channel many months ago and also running WS2016 Essentials. When I went back to Win 10, I used the Portable version of Emby (x64) stored in the non standard location of C:\Emby as I wanted it totally self contained to make a move easier in the future, it was a clean install when moving to the Stable channel but I used the backup plugin to move my existing users/library/watched items.

I'll add anything else I think may be helpful as I remember.

also 15:19 here now, and still shows as 1 min. 

Same Win 10 build, but with defender enabled. 

I record to a Stablebit Drivepool too!

No beta's here

Standard version of Emby in the standard directory

I use the DVBLogic TV Mosaic plugin, but a month ago I had my tuner directly connected. Problem was the same

tuner is the HDHomerun HDHR3-EU 4 channel tuner

Stable here too now, but I did worry that maybe the backup/restore might have carried a Beta setting over that caused this.

HDHomeRun Connect Quatro Model HDHR5-4DT just updated to firmware 20180817.

Might be worth dropping a disk out of the Drivepool and try recording to it directly tonight, I'll give it a go

16:40 Happened to be in the Dashboard and noticed the 'Scan Media Library' task was running - my recording from this morning is now correctly showing as 42 minutes!

Edited by Spotta

I removed a disk from the Drivepool and tested 3 recordings on it, didn't seem to make any difference, after each recording I have to scan the Library in order for Emby to recognise the correct file length either direct to a drive or in Drivepool, does this mean that real time monitoring is not working? I have it ticked.

After changing the recording location and then putting it back one thing has changed, I can now watch three minutes of each in-progress recording. not sure that's going to placate my Mrs.....

Most of the testing was detailed in a previous post (6th December) with time stamps, the testing when I tried direct to hdd (not Drivepool) can be recognised by when I changed the recording location from \\cmhserv\Recordings to \\cmhserv\TestRec and then back again

So it's been a week since my original post, I've spent many hours trying to find the issue, posted logs and the steps I have carried out.

I'm not the only one having this issue, does no one have any idea where we should focus our attention on to get to the bottom of this??