Cannot watch in-progress recordings

Spotta

muppets4

Its the same overhere. It remains one minute untill the recording is ended. I use the tv mosaic plugin. Spotta doesnt to my knowledge. So that will not be the reason.

Has a library scan completed since it finished recording?

As mentioned in my one of my posts on 6th December a Library scan does fix the length issue of ended recordings, but not in progress ones they always stay at 1 minute.

Real time monitoring of the Recording folder is enabled and I really don't want to change the Library scans to happen every 5 minutes.

Maybe I should let you know what I was hoping to do and you can let me know if I am wasting my time or not.

We don't as a rule watch much live TV, which is why I can cope with the slow change of channel and the lack of entering station numbers directly either in Live TV or the guide, we normally know when a program is broadcast and like to start it about 20 minutes after real time so we can skip the adverts, this is mainly what I want from Emby but with the option to stop watching on Emby Theatre on our main htpc and resume at the same place on our upstairs TV (no matter if the program is still recording or has finished) which currently has Theatre on a rPi3 but I'm thinking of changing to an Apple TV in the future as the Pi is a bit clunky where as watching on my iPhone or iPad is a much better experience. 

From what I know of Emby live TV this should all be possible, but here I am having to wait up to 12 hours to even watch a recording.

pünktchen

Have you ever tried a fresh installation?

This really makes me think something is broken in your current Emby server:

1. Under the Live TV section of my homescreen if I click Recordings there is nothing there. I am recording directly to \\SrvName\Recordings, which I have added to my Library and I can access my recordings from here to watch.

Normally no one has to set the recording path as a library himself. It should be done automatically after entering the path in the dvr section.

I started earlier actually with a brand new portable installation, I have to swap back and forth as it's now family watching time! finishing off is on tomorrows list.

I started recording Brooklyn on channel 2 around 20:40, I've tried to play it every 10 mins until 21:20 through the web interface, and also ran a couple of library scans.

I think I managed to include all relevant logs below

embyserver-16-12-18.zip

pünktchen

I started earlier actually with a brand new portable installation, I have to swap back and forth as it's now family watching time! finishing off is on tomorrows list.

So please start with a new portable installation WITHOUT using any backup. You can also set a different web port for this test installation, so you can run it side-by-side with your productive server.
  • Like 1

New install is a big step in the right direction, in-progress recordings now appear in the correct folder, I can watch them for more than a minute, however whenever I stop watching them I cannot resume. I always have to start from the beginning again.

pünktchen

New install is a big step in the right direction, in-progress recordings now appear in the correct folder, I can watch them for more than a minute, however whenever I stop watching them I cannot resume. I always have to start from the beginning again.

See here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60544-resuming-in-progress-recordings/ for the resume in-progress recording problem.

• Like 1

See here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60544-resuming-in-progress-recordings/ for the resume in-progress recording problem.

Thank you! Despite already having started on a new install, In one day you have provided more help than anyone else in the last 2 weeks.

Unfortunately after reading that thread i'm none the wiser if resuming in-progress recordings is supported, partly supported depending on device, planned to be supported in the future or no-one one cares.

For me being able to pause and resume recordings while in progress and having the 'watched up to' point transferred over to the finished recordings is about the most important feature of any HTPC software, Windows Media Center could do it in 2002 and I just assumed that all similar software from 16 years later would be able to do this. Maybe I was wrong about this assumption but I would like to get some clarification from @@Luke or @@ebr about what exactly Emby Live TV/DVR does support / Will support on 3.6 / is planned for the future regarding this. 

Hi.  Right now, you should be able to resume a program you partially watched while in-progress AFTER it has completed recording.  You will not be able to resume it while it is still recording but we would like to include that feature in a future update.

Does that clear it up for you?

It almost does Cheers  :D

I just need to understand what is and isn't possible and it's not the easiest information to find out.

So if I partially watch when its recording, then stop watching, then it finishes recording it should resume from where I left off the next time I play it?

or if I start watching while recording, then it finishes recording, then I stop watching it should resume the next time I play?

Or both?

I will test myself, but trying to move my family over to new installation right now. so it will have to wait a while.

I'm guessing this functionality is not coming in 3.6 either?

Edited by Spotta

Resuming in progress recordings is an area we still need to improve in, but it was my understanding that you couldn't play the recordings at all. Is that not correct?

Not since the 17th where I stated that a brand new installation without restoring any backed up data had got watching in-progress recordings back working again.

However it looks like I'm sticking with WMC until resuming in progress recordings and transferring the 'watched to' point to the finished recordings has been implemented. I'm surprised that this isn't the number 1 priority for any LiveTV/DVR software.

I did find this https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/3458 - is the best place to monitor the situation to find out when it is being worked on / been fixed?