Huawei Mediapad M5 doesn't support 10 bit HEVC

Devdroid

Devdroid

The Huawei Mediapad M5 series (and probably most other Huawei tablets) have no support for HW 10 bit HEVC acceleration. 

Can this be disabled somewhere, so that streams are transcoded to x264 instead of using directplay?  I can't seem to find an option for it. 

Edited by Devdroid

Devdroid

Hi, what version of android?

Android 8.0 currently. An update to Pie/9.0 is on the way, but I'm not sure if they will add 10 bit support or not. I've emailed them about it, but no answer so far. 

It can almost playback 10bit HEVC with software decode if I use MX Player or VLC/external player, but at certain scenes or with higher bitrates, there's framedrops. 

I believe the same goes for most of the entire Mediapad Series: Mediapad M5. M5 lite, T5; M3, M3 lite. 

The SoC for the M5 is the HiSilicon Kirin 960. It will always default to direct play with blocky video/strange colors as a result, so I have to trigger transcoding manually by selecting a much lower bitrate or resolution.  

Edited by Devdroid
  • Like 1

Devdroid

I got around this by: 

1. Installing Kodi

2. Installing Embycon

3. Embycon->Settings-> uncheck "HEVC/x265" support/force transcode 

Ok currently the app detects support for hevc but not 10-bit. We will look at adding this. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
bonfire62

I would love this support as well! Currently on a Pixel XL with the latest Android 9 rev, and I'm getting a green screen when I try to stream HEVC content. Thanks!

I would love this support as well! Currently on a Pixel XL with the latest Android 9 rev, and I'm getting a green screen when I try to stream HEVC content. Thanks!

Does pixel XL support hevc 10-bit, do you know?

• 2 years later...
Skyvandreren

Hi. New emby user after years on plex. Loving it so far!. 

Seems like this is still a problem on huawei mediapad m5 lite

Edited by Skyvandreren
edit: M5 Lite (cheaper version) :-)

9 hours ago, Skyvandreren said:

Hi. New emby user after years on plex. Loving it so far!. 

Seems like this is still a problem on huawei mediapad m5. 

Hi, we'll take another look at it. Thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

pwhodges

How does the problem manifest itself?  I can direct-play H265 main10 files on my Huawei MediaPad M5.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Skyvandreren
On 6/15/2021 at 8:42 PM, pwhodges said:

How does the problem manifest itself?  I can direct-play H265 main10 files on my Huawei MediaPad M5.

Paul

It tries to load forever from the menu. Mediapad m5 lite. Not to big of a problem. I can force it to trancode by choosing a lower quality. Thanks for looking into it :)