Holiday Suggestions

tuvx

We had snow flurries in the web app in previous years. Unfortunately this year we've been working so hard on 3.6 that we haven't been able to get to it.

Maybe i can push something to the online web app.

pünktchen

Hi. It is looking for specific genres like "Holiday" and "Christmas".

What would be the genres for halloween here?

pir8radio

to add to this topic, NONE of my christmas movies have any kind of holiday or christmas genre, they are all tagged "Family" so I have no suggestions. 

I use the emby metadata "the moviedb" and "open movie database" grabber.   I think maybe you should include "christmas" in the movie title.

Some movie examples are:

• A christmas Carol (1984)
  • A Christmas Carol (2009)
  • A christmas Carol (1951)
  • A christmas story (1983)
  • How the grinch stole christmas (1966)
  • Nester the long-eared christmas donkey (1977)

I also didnt have to do any manual genre editing last year.

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

They Must not have Christmas genres on those websites.

If you were talking to me, its the two that come enabled in emby by default.

What do you mean? Emby does not have any Christmas genres enabled by default? Genres come from your metadata.

pir8radio

What do you mean? Emby does not have any Christmas genres enabled by default? Genres come from your metadata.

yea the meta data providers that emby has for movie libraries are what i use.  and TheMovieDB has all of those christmas movies listed above as "Family".

5c1f0404c1ef3_Capture.png

TonyHoyle

It's a really confusing message IMO because I've been looking all over for an option to enable 'suggestions' since this started popping up all the time but from this thread it's something you have to do manually?  Seem that it needs re-wording.

• Like 1

pünktchen

Could this be achieved by tags instead of genre?

I feel like a tag is more of a possible note or side-descriptor, where as genre is the most basic summary of the movie.

Also, without any form of multi-editing, manually editing 60+ genre fields is probably something I'd rather ask Santa for than to do myself.

+1 for tags instead of genre.

If i look at themoviedb all those Holiday movies have a tag christmas but none have a genre christmas.

Edited by pünktchen

It's a really confusing message IMO because I've been looking all over for an option to enable 'suggestions' since this started popping up all the time but from this thread it's something you have to do manually?  Seem that it needs re-wording.

It shouldn't be manual but, apparently, sometime in the past year or so, the PC police have removed those genres from the public metadata providers.

That is a shame but not something we did or anticipated.

Thanks.

pir8radio

It shouldn't be manual but, apparently, sometime in the past year or so, the PC police have removed those genres from the public metadata providers.

That is a shame but not something we did or anticipated.

Thanks.

I still think "Christmas" in the title will cover a bunch of them.. 

samuelqwe

I still think "Christmas" in the title will cover a bunch of them..

I’m right there with you. I have a few movies with Christmas in the title, and they are all Christmas movies.

pir8radio

True, although we'd have to figure out how to make that work in lots of different languages.

lol always have to crush my dreams.....   How does genres work in different languages "holiday"?   oh well, i guess if it has to be manual entry...   

atomicmoon

If this holiday option must go back under the knife for updates to genres, could I suggest a possible way to achieve this with genre or tag?
I only ask for tagging, because I can add a keyword, or "tag" to a movie, show, etc without shoving it in a box.
I.E. Die Hard. Debate all you want, but I don't think it's a Christmas movie, but it could easily remain an Action movie and not be forced to be in the Christmas genre.

I guess it comes down to, if my scraper doesn't assign it, I don't really want to manipulate my genres, but tags I can apply without making a major change to how the library sees the media.
Also, multi edit would be a nice addition lol

pir8radio

Unfortunately, unless a reliable, public source of this metadata appears before next year, the only solution will be to just remove the feature :(.

pünktchen

Unfortunately, unless a reliable, public source of this metadata appears before next year, the only solution will be to just remove the feature :(.

Are you even reading what other people propose here? What's wrong with "tags/keywords"?

You get all the relevant movies https://www.themoviedb.org/keyword/207317-christmas/movie and it's language independant. Of course you will also get "false positives". I don't know why Peppermint is in the list, but without manual intervention you will never get a 100% perfect match. But that really shouldn't be your first goal.

Are you even reading what other people propose here? What's wrong with "tags/keywords"?

You get all the relevant movies https://www.themoviedb.org/keyword/207317-christmas/movie and it's language independant. Of course you will also get "false positives". I don't know why Peppermint is in the list, but without manual intervention you will never get a 100% perfect match. But that really shouldn't be your first goal.

Any solution that requires manual metadata editing by the user will not be good enough because people will just report it (or worse, just believe it) as "broken".

Also, the server doesn't currently have any way to query on tags so this would have to come after that.

The bottom line is - this feature is only really useful if "it just works" without any user intervention.  If we can make that be the case, it will live on.

pünktchen

Also, the server doesn't currently have any way to query on tags so this would have to come after that.

This is not even in the beta server?

The bottom line is - this feature is only really useful if "it just works" without any user intervention. If we can make that be the case, it will live on.

Then it's dead.
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
11 hours ago, T_Tronix said:

Keep getting that Jingle bells popup when I start Emby on my Shield...

Right now?  Is the date on your Shield correct?

pir8radio
20 hours ago, T_Tronix said:

You set this up on the server side I'm guessing?

Keep getting that Jingle bells popup when I start Emby on my Shield...

well, time to put up your Christmas decorations.......