How to have 2 x MBS & MBT setups: Home and Laptop

DevonLad

DevonLad

Apologies if this is covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I have a MBS with MBT setup at home, and this works just fine.

I also travel for a couple of months at a time and like to have another MB setup on my Laptop, running the media files from a 3TB Portable HDD.  On the assumption that neither MBC or MBT will work as 'off-network' standalone systems (in the same way that I have successfully been using MB2 on the laptop), my plan was to install MBS on the laptop, followed by MBT, linking MBS to the 3TB drive.

When I install MBS on the laptop, I have tried 2 scenarios to get it working:

1. with the laptop connected to my home network, which of course has another MBS/MBT setup running on it
  2. with the laptop disconnected from the network/internet

Either way, when the initial browser opens and I get the 'Welcome to MB' wizard, clicking 'Next' does absolutely nothing. If I right-click the tray-icon and choose 'Configure Media Browser, I get a screen that is devoid of information, except for blank areas (under the Home tab) headed Server Information / Active Devices / Latest News.  If I click on the Shutdown button under 'Server Information', it shuts down my home MB server (if the laptop is connected to the network), so it looks as if the laptop's MBS sees the home version of MBS and refuses to do anything in the way of configuration.  But if I disconnect the laptop from the network, MBS won't install and/or configure anyway, so I am stuck.

Is there a way to get this working on the laptop (hopefully I am missing something obvious), or is MBS just not designed to work on a standalone/off-network system at the moment (or perhaps never).

I can of course carry on using MB2 on the laptop, but I assume MB2 will eventually not be available.

legallink

Can you install it and run it not as a service on the laptop? Only start the laptop server when you are away and not when at home? For the players, you should be able to configure multiple servers, so that should take care of that issue. Just point it to the time you are using at the time.

Then the question would be where is the media? If the 3tb drive is external, you should be able to work with that. I would just try and have only one server running at a time.

I do this all the time.  In fact, I have three servers - a production one, a development one and one on my laptop that goes with me.

The issue you are describing, I don't think, has anything to do with the multiple servers.  It sounds like a problem with the browser on the laptop.  IE by any chance?  Search out here for security settings in IE that need to be tweaked or try using a different browser.

DevonLad

Can you install it and run it not as a service on the laptop? Only start the laptop server when you are away and not when at home?

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can do these things, IF I can get past the initial configuration wizard screen.  Until I can actually get into the program, I can't make any settings changes

DevonLad

I do this all the time.  In fact, I have three servers - a production one, a development one and one on my laptop that goes with me.

The issue you are describing, I don't think, has anything to do with the multiple servers.  It sounds like a problem with the browser on the laptop.  IE by any chance?  Search out here for security settings in IE that need to be tweaked or try using a different browser.

Well that's really great to know that I can do it, now I just have to work out how!

I'm running Firefox (I don't use IE on anything), which I also use on my Server and HTPCs, so I imagine that suggests it's not a browser issue.

It has now occurred to me that I can connect the laptop to the internet (for the initial download/install) via my mobile phone, and that way, it cannot be interacting with my existing home setups.  At least if I can get it installed properly that way, I might then be able to configure it.

I will report back after trying that.

DevonLad

OK, got it working now with a change of browser to Chrome (although why Firefox won't work, when it does with MBS on my other systems, is a mystery).

I have attached 2 screen images, which show a slightly different wizard screen, depending on the browser. Hopefully, they are self-explantory

Thanks for your help.

post-3363-0-56767400-1398080717_thumb.png

post-3363-0-24282300-1398080724_thumb.png

Sounded like a browser problem.

Could be different versions, different extensions or different settings between the two installations of FF.  I know some of the security settings in IE make the wizard not work sometimes.

Tolerant

OK, got it working now with a change of browser to Chrome (although why Firefox won't work, when it does with MBS on my other systems, is a mystery).

I have attached 2 screen images, which show a slightly different wizard screen, depending on the browser. Hopefully, they are self-explantory

Thanks for your help.

Have you tried clearing your FireFox cache and stuff on the laptop?

DevonLad

No I didn't; I'll give that a go next time I have the laptop on

Thanks for your help.

what version of ff?

DevonLad

Cleared the Caches, Cookies etc and then tried again - still doesn't work

Have you compared versions, extensions and security settings between the two machines?

DevonLad

Have you compared versions, extensions and security settings between the two machines?

On the Laptop [MBT+MBS]:

Version: 28.0

Extensions: Adblock Plus / Amazon Wish List / British English Dictionary / Quidco Toolbar

Plugins: Adobe Acrobat / AdobeAAMDetect / Java Toolkit / Java Platform / Shockwave Flash / Silverlight

On the Server [MBS]:

Version: 28.0

Extensions: None

Plugins: Silverlight

The Java Plugins are both 'Manual Activation' only.

The problem might be Adblock, but it is disabled for anything MB related, and for localhost, but I might try uninstalling it and see if FF then works. 

I'm quite happy to run Chrome just for MBS, but I guess you might want to understand what's going on with FF, for future development and troubleshooting?

Edited by DevonLad

DevonLad

Yes we would like to understand.

I think Adblock is the most likely culprit.

Finally had a chance to remove Adblock and then try again.  Still won't work in Firefox, so it's something other than Adblock: if I find the solution I will post it