Live TV Guide Changes in Emby Server 3.6

Luke

So I'm half-way through a 1 year subscription with SD, so when I have to switch to the Emby method, then I'll lose the value of the remainder of the subscription.

Therefore, it's not just a cost to Emby, but everyone else that has a current SD subscription.

An option to continue using SD should be in Emby for a period of 1 year from the date of the new functionality for current SD subscribers, but also not to allow any new SD subscribers from using it.

We can all provide proof of our subscription to SD.

As I thought Luke stated both in the blog post and out here, SD has said they will honor your current subscription.

However, what "value" do you believe you are losing here?

If you had an SD setup before and this will provide you at least the same (and potentially better) data and functionality, what have you lost when you switch?

CBers

As I thought Luke stated both in the blog post and out here, SD has said they will honor your current subscription.

So you're retaining the SD functionality in Emby server for a year then, until all SD subscriptions have expired?

Spaceboy

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this comment but all users will be able to take advantage of this data included in their Premiere subscriptions.

its just another example of how you crap on the people who got you where you are today to attract new users. I understand this is important but you must also understand that this is going to cause us significant short term pain for zero benefit

So you're retaining the SD functionality in Emby server for a year then, until all SD subscriptions have expired?

We're going to include it for as long as they allow us to.  They have stated that they will honor current subscriptions but, ultimately, this is up to them.

Spaceboy

If you had an SD setup before and this will provide you at least the same (and potentially better) data and functionality, what have you lost when you switch?

the word potentially is you get you of jail card. We are losing the value in that it all works fine at present. Are you promising to fix my m3u so that we don’t have to suffer the abomination that is emby‘s epg matching to channels?

its just another example of how you crap on the people who got you where you are today to attract new users. I understand this is important but you must also understand that this is going to cause us significant short term pain for zero benefit

No, I'm sorry, I don't understand that at all.

What pain?

We are going to provide you a higher quality data service than you are currently using for NO EXTRA CHARGE where you are currently paying.

Spaceboy

What pain?

We are going to provide you a higher quality data service than you are currently using for NO EXTRA CHARGE where you are currently paying.

so you guarantee that we can flip over from sd with no work required?

maegibbons

Please do not try to resist this change.  It will be simpler and better for you in the end.  You don't have to move immediately, but you will have to move.

Hi @@ebr

Not trying to resist the change...  Just making sure that all the components are in place to MAKE the change without screwing with my RECORDINGS based on the Guide data we currently have.

I have 100% population of the channels that I watch with Guide Data currently.  This did not happen automatically.  I painstakingly made sure that my m3u had the tvg-id populated with the correct channel-id from schedules direct so that ALL CHANNELS get matched properly.  This took days to do.

I want to do the same with Gracenote and hence I would be obliged if we could have a list of all UK and sky channel-ids well in advance of the change so we can prepare properly.

Whilst I am pleased that this puts you on a level playing field with the orange brand, I am still concerned that this was one area that WORKED PRETTY WELL and didnt really need change unlike Channel management and Channel grouping which desperately does.

Yes, I know, its coming but the development work on Gracenote implementation just delays other things.  I also think this should have been a 3.7 beta development branch AFTER all the DB change issues had been squared away with the main user base of a 3.6 Stable Branch version..

Just seems that 3.6 is going to drag on for a few more months without going stable.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

CBers

We're going to include it for as long as they allow us to. They have stated that they will honor current subscriptions but, ultimately, this is up to them.

OK, thanks.

CBers

Please do not try to resist this change. It will be simpler and better for you in the end. You don't have to move immediately, but you will have to move.

There are lots of beta testers that use Emby server in a beta environment as their main use (me included), one to help test and another to get all the nice new goodies.

As there is no Stable release of Emby server that current beta users can switch to, we're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, so might this be worth having a separate "dev" build for the first few iterations of the new guide release, so that current beta testers aren't affected.

I'm more than willing to run a "dev" build, as I don't use Emby Live TV as much as others, so don't mind if it's broken for a few releases.

Hope this makes sense.

There are lots of beta testers that use Emby server in a beta environment as their main use (me included), one to help test and another to get all the nice new goodies.

As there is no Stable release of Emby server that current beta users can switch to, we're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, so might this be worth having a separate "dev" build for the first few iterations of the new guide release, so that current beta testers aren't affected.

I'm more than willing to run a "dev" build, as I don't use Emby Live TV as much as others, so don't mind if it's broken for a few releases.

Hope this makes sense.

The new provider will be optional so you can just stick with SD if you wish during the first iterations.  Of course, if you are willing to setup a test environment to test the new provider that will be very helpful.

• Like 1

Can we EASILY mix and match Emby Gracenote EPG data with XMLTV data for channels loaded in Emby, just like I do currently with DVBLink/TVMosaic with TVAdviser, or is Emby channel management not ready for that ?

pünktchen

Will the price for Emby premiere membership increase because of the new guide data provider?

Will every Emby premiere member get the new guide data provider or only those with a monthly subscription?

In the case it's only for monthly subscribers, will it be a separate membership plan? Because not everyone that uses live tv within Emby, also uses Emby's core live tv, but one of the many live tv plugins. Or the users still have to utilize a custom xmltv provider because the new guide data provider doesn't yet provide data for their region.

maegibbons

It is for ALL premiere users. Monthly, yearly and lifetime.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

pünktchen

It is for ALL premiere users. Monthly, yearly and lifetime.

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks, but i'd like to have a confirmation from @@Luke or @@ebr

CBers

Hi guys,

Please check out the announcement we have just posted:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-443-exciting-additions-coming-soon-in-emby-server-36/

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks !

Live TV Guide Data Now Included with Premiere

Emby will be gradually switching from Schedules Direct to Gracenote for Live TV guide data. What does this mean? This means if you're in the USA, Canada or UK, you'll no longer need to setup an account with another website nor pay someone else for this data. You'll simply enter your zip code into Emby, select your channel lineup, and we'll handle retrieving your guide data.

TylerV76

What pain?

The only issue I see is having to reload your scheduled recordings once we switch providers. Not really a big deal honestly and I record a ton of live tv.

Beyond that, Im happy to see this coming and hope a 3.6 stable releases soon. Been waiting for what seems like a lifetime.

Btw, I just paid a year subscription for SD 2 weeks ago. Does is suck to see this now after doing so? Sure a little but my god its $25. I think I’ll survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

pünktchen

Hi guys,

Please check out the announcement we have just posted:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-443-exciting-additions-coming-soon-in-emby-server-36/

Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks !

Live TV Guide Data Now Included with Premiere

Emby will be gradually switching from Schedules Direct to Gracenote for Live TV guide data. What does this mean? This means if you're in the USA, Canada or UK, you'll no longer need to setup an account with another website nor pay someone else for this data. You'll simply enter your zip code into Emby, select your channel lineup, and we'll handle retrieving your guide data.

I've read all this! But it doesn't explicitly state "included with ALL premiere accounts". So everyone can interpret it to their like.

I'm waiting for a statement from the devs!

clarkss12

I am a person with a very little brain, so I do not understand you logic???

clarkss12

As I think about it, when I was using DVBLogic as my PVR, I had to use the **paid** version of Schedules Direct (sorry, I don't remember the name of it).  Schedules Direct guide data was NOT to be used in a paid environment.  I could use it for my TVheadend DVR server, but not as a guide service for DVBLogic, since it is a ** for profit ** DVR service.

I am surprised and grateful that Emby has CHOSEN to add FREE guide at a big expense to themselves ( I don't know how they can do it).  They should charge a yearly fee just as any other paid service that provides a guide.  

Edit: PercData was the guide provider for DVBLogic PVR.

Edited by clarkss12
  • Like 1

I've read all this! But it doesn't explicitly state "included with ALL premiere accounts". So everyone can interpret it to their like.

We're going to add as many countries as we can, however the cost of the data is high, so that is why we're starting with US, UK and Canada.

Yes, all active Premiere members.

• Like 1

CBers

If you have PREMIERE, then you'll have access.

If you don't have PREMIERE, then you'll not have access.

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

• Like 1

Will we need to re-setup series recordings?

That is the only question I have!

When switching guide providers, yes.