Photo

TCL RokuTV Live TV video slow - EMBY BETA 3.0.124

TCL RokuTV

Best Answer bardmaster , 24 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

@bardmaster can you take a picture of your television with the stats for nerds on in the Roku app. Take a picture of what that stats for nerds shows. Then provide an ffmpeg log of the exact same session. We can see what is up then. Thanks and apologies for the issue resurfacing.

Go the settings of the Roku app too. Find the "Allow Framerate limit of 30fps" and turn this ON then make sure it is OFF. Then find "Allow HEVC at 60fps" and make sure this is ON. Maybe these are not set correctly for your RokuTV?

The "Allow framerate limit of 30fps" should really say "Force framerate limit of 30fps" .. we can fix that..

Well shut me up...actually all I needed to do was set the allow (force) framerate limit of 30fps - all is well now.  Shoot - how long was that option in the Roku settings?  (sheepish grin)

All good now!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45316 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:34 AM

Wouldn't lowering the overall quality accomplish the same thing for bad connections?

I don't want to expose esoteric options that most users won't understand unless absolutely necessary.

#22 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4628 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:27 PM

Wouldn't lowering the overall quality accomplish the same thing for bad connections?

I don't want to expose esoteric options that most users won't understand unless absolutely necessary.

Not sure if quality would force a framerate change? We would still be giving the server our capabilities telling it we support 60fps. The setting would change that to 30fps. This would allow quality to not be impacted as well as cause the framerate change. If you know the quality change does indeed cause the framerate change well then we are possibly already there and the quality change would work. If not this is where the setting has value. We would need to craft this into the video player possibly like the quality change is. Then users can flip on/off the 30/60 setting on the video player OSD to their hearts content. Have it work with the show extended info setting that shows the play method on the OSD. Have that setting also control visibility of the framerate setting on the OSD.

Now I am just throwing out ideas. Nothing concrete or solid here. We need to know how to best help users without causing inexperienced users to find the option, enable it and cause them to ruin their experience then they bad mouth Emby. I understand the risks of adding settings. They can cut both ways. I want users to be happy. :)

Edited by speechles, 02 April 2019 - 12:35 PM.

• bardmaster likes this

#23 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

I have tried reducing video quality but had to dial it down to unacceptable blocky quality that looked worse than a game of Minecraft (720 1Mbps) in order to stop the constant buffering pauses. That also ruins playback of recorded video, which works fine at more like 720/4Mbps. Yes I have tried initial pauses to allow pre-buffering, but that doesn’t last more than a few minutes.

I would humbly posit that adding this option across all client platforms, buried as it is deep down in the settings, would be only a positive. More experienced (or desperate) users would find it and use it if it helps their playback, and I don’t think it would hurt a thing if a noob found it and set it.

Isn’t it also better as devs to have as much standardization in options across platforms as possible? As a programmer myself I hate having to keep track of multiple one-off exceptions. Just sayin’! ;)

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131346 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:03 PM

Isn’t it also better as devs to have as much standardization in options across platforms as possible? 

Yes, but this type of setting is not intended to be a personal preference, it is intended to solve a problem. In the event that problem does not exist, the setting is no longer needed.

#25 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45316 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

and I don’t think it would hurt a thing if a noob found it and set it

What happens is someone turns it on and then comes out here and reports that Emby is transcoding all their content.  Then we spend an hour or so troubleshooting only to find out that it is this option they turned on causing it.  Multiply that by a hundred or so folks and we have very little time to do anything other than troubleshoot :).

Or, worse yet, they never come out here.   They just abandon Emby because it transcodes everything.

#26 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:30 PM

I absolutely agree with both arguments, and you guys are the Emby Masters, but I still respectfully argue this could serve to resolve a critical-fail problem in this case - and potentially in the case of any user with satellite internet in one home trying to stream live TV to it from an Emby Server with a strong ISP in another home (admittedly sure to be a very small % of overall Emby users - yes esoteric is a good word to describe this/me).  But I can't confirm that without being given the option to test it and report back. :P

Having stated my case, and admittedly now a bit tangential to this thread, I will rest it here and will agree with whatever decision is made on the topic.  Thanks for listening and the spirited discussion!  :D

• ebr and speechles like this

#27 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4628 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

My worry is it could lead to bad press. We have good intentions here but sometimes even the best intentions have bad outcomes. This has to be based on where it has value and where it has damage. If the value outweighs the damage perhaps there is still value left. How much value depends on how much the damage eschews the value down. This is the good versus bad. You weigh them. Which side is heavier?

In this case we may be creating a scenario where confusion about the setting and what it does may harm Emby. I want you to have the setting but we need to find a way for a user to understand what the setting does and a way to quickly reverse it if they see a problem. If this setting were in the OSD and only exposed on the setting to show extended playback information and never remembered this would cause less damage. The bad would lose some pounds. The good starts to outweigh the bad. We need to seriously think how to approach this without kicking ourselves in the face later. I know you understand. The world uses the app and 90% of that world never visits the Emby forums. Those users also have a voice here but cannot express it. We have to think in their best interest too.

Edited by speechles, 02 April 2019 - 01:37 PM.

• bardmaster likes this

#28 danlo315 OFFLINE  

danlo315

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:38 PM

All,

(Hopefully) Reviving this topic.  I am running Latest Emby server (on Docker) with IPTV streams (via TVHeadend).  I have a family member that is using Emby on RokuTV (TCL).  She had Direct Stream turned on in Emby app, and she was getting audio sync issues across basically all channels.  Turned on "Force Framerate Limit of 30fps" and the audio sync issues went away.  However, this is now causing transcoding on the streams and I don't exactly have a very powerful system to run transcodings.  Is there something that I am missing that I can avoid transcoding?

Thanks.

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131346 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:34 PM

All,

(Hopefully) Reviving this topic.  I am running Latest Emby server (on Docker) with IPTV streams (via TVHeadend).  I have a family member that is using Emby on RokuTV (TCL).  She had Direct Stream turned on in Emby app, and she was getting audio sync issues across basically all channels.  Turned on "Force Framerate Limit of 30fps" and the audio sync issues went away.  However, this is now causing transcoding on the streams and I don't exactly have a very powerful system to run transcodings.  Is there something that I am missing that I can avoid transcoding?

Thanks.

Hi there, if you can please attach the server and ffmpeg log of the direct stream then we can look at it for potential improvements.

But most likely the answer is no. The Roku video player is limited and picky. The original raw transport stream is not something they designed to handle, so it's no surprise that it's not playing it perfectly.

#30 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4628 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Also to piggy-back onto what @Luke has. MPEG2 is a new codec to the Roku. Roku was kind enough to add support to this to play directly. But they also did not make sure all the devices that can do so could do so without issue. The problem is actually mpeg2 that is causing the issue for us. Especially mpeg2 @ 1080p60. That will choke a Roku3 and lower. That will surely desync audio at a fast rate. The video cannot render as quickly.

What device is having the problem keeping sync? Is this a Roku 3, streaming stick, or express? Is this 1920x1080 @ 60? Sadly the best we can do if the Roku fails at playing directly is introduce HLS into the scenario. This means ffmpeg. It may not mean transcoding. It could be a directstream or remux too. But ffmpeg will be involved. The stats for nerds on the Roku app would tell you for sure what is going on.

Edited by speechles, 15 May 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#31 danlo315 OFFLINE  

danlo315

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Also to piggy-back onto what @Luke has. MPEG2 is a new codec to the Roku. Roku was kind enough to add support to this to play directly. But they also did not make sure all the devices that can do so could do so without issue. The problem is actually mpeg2 that is causing the issue for us. Especially mpeg2 @ 1080p60. That will choke a Roku3 and lower. That will surely desync audio at a fast rate. The video cannot render as quickly.

What device is having the problem keeping sync? Is this a Roku 3, streaming stick, or express? Is this 1920x1080 @ 60? Sadly the best we can do if the Roku fails at playing directly is introduce HLS into the scenario. This means ffmpeg. It may not mean transcoding. It could be a directstream or remux too. But ffmpeg will be involved. The stats for nerds on the Roku app would tell you for sure what is going on.

The feeds are usually 720p @60fps, this is running on a TCL Roku TV. As I mentioned earlier, the audio sync issues go away when the 30 fps limit is set on the client. This causes transcoding (I can see it on the server dashboard, CPU spikes on server itself) not direct stream.

#32 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 4628 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

The feeds are usually 720p @60fps, this is running on a TCL Roku TV. As I mentioned earlier, the audio sync issues go away when the 30 fps limit is set on the client. This causes transcoding (I can see it on the server dashboard, CPU spikes on server itself) not direct stream.

Ahh.. I can link you to that thread on Roku forums..

https://forums.roku....110877&p=646024

Read post #67 Picture Mode>Advanced Picture Settings menu changed Game from Off to On. 

and #68 From menu press *, under "volume mode" turn off.

Make sure when you play the 720p @ 60fps press the * button. Make sure volume mode is set to OFF if shown. It cannot be set to Night or Leveling. Both of these will cause audio drift possibly in certain conditions. Certainly with 60fps. 

Edited by speechles, 15 May 2019 - 08:54 PM.

#33 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

@danlo315, if these tweaks don't help, you might just want to consider a computer upgrade for your Emby Server!  I am having success streaming (transcoded "force 30fps" 1080p/8Mbps) to my TCL RokuTV 43S303 from a $300 rig, courtesy of the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU (4-core CPU with good integrated graphics which retails for around $100).

#34 danlo315 OFFLINE  

danlo315

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

@danlo315, if these tweaks don't help, you might just want to consider a computer upgrade for your Emby Server! I am having success streaming (transcoded "force 30fps" 1080p/8Mbps) to my TCL RokuTV 43S303 from a $300 rig, courtesy of the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU (4-core CPU with good integrated graphics which retails for around $100).

Not really an option when this is running on a VPS, unfortunately.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TCL, RokuTV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users