Photo

TCL RokuTV Live TV video slow - EMBY BETA 3.0.124

TCL RokuTV

Best Answer bardmaster , 25 February 2019 - 09:32 PM

I'm happy to announce that this has been fixed with server 4.0.1 and Emby for Roku 3.0.140.

Thank you!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

I'm having difficulty with my TCL RokuTV playback OF SOME CHANNELS of live TV using Emby BETA: the video seems to be transcoding slowly and lags behind the audio (which has no problems) a couple seconds.  My normal set-top boxes (Rokus 2, 3, Stick, and Ultra) have no such problem on the same channels.

Looks like it's transcoding @66fps 7.9 Mbps using m3u8 h264 video and ac3 audio.

Emby Server 3.5.3.0

Emby for RokuTV version 3.0.124

Logs attached & sent a log from the Roku channel for RokuTV.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  This problem is not showing in the normal Emby release channel for Roku TV, which I have as 3.0.111!

EDIT:  It appears to only happen on some channels, not others.  I am attaching a second set of logs (and just sent another log from Roku @ 11:29am PST) showing a channel that is transcoding @33fps and is running smoothly.  But the normal release channel (3.0.111) has no problem with the 60+ fps.

Figured I should report it.

Attached Files

Edited by bardmaster, 01 December 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 121625 posts
  • Local time: 07:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:19 PM

Well this is also two different channels, so that makes this comparison apples to oranges. One channel is 30fps and the other is 60fps.

#3 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:47 PM

@Luke OK let’s just focus on the problem channel, which is indicative of most of the Xfinity channels I get. Can you identify any reason why the video is experiencing playback issues?

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 121625 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:50 PM

Well it's 60 fps but it doesn't look like your system can transcode it quickly enough at that high of a framerate.

@speechles this needs to be dropped to 30 fps

#5 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:25 PM

Well it's 60 fps but it doesn't look like your system can transcode it quickly enough at that high of a framerate.

@speechles this needs to be dropped to 30 fps

Hey @Luke and @speechles any luck on this?  I'm sure it's low on the list of priorities, but I really would like to have at least one channel (if it has to be done individually) set up in this manner - NBC Sports Net Bay Area, so I can watch the Golden State Warriors games.

Again keep in mind this is ONLY occurring on the RokuTV, not on the normal Roku set-top boxes.  But there should be no issue with dropping the fps to 30 for Roku in general if that is what's needed.

I am running

Emby Server 3.5.3 (let me know if I need to switch back to the beta series to help validate)

EmbyBeta RokuChannel 3.0.131

Server = Matrix3

Recent logs attached for this channel - NBCSBAH (720 on Xfinity Digital Bay Area)

Thanks folks & Happy New Year!

Attached Files

#6 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3681 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 AM

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:15 PM

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Are you using a remote server or one local? If local can you set the Max bitrate in the app settings (press * on Home of the app). Choose 80 Mbps do not choose Auto. Now play your item and see if you experience the issue. The Auto may be detecting too low of an automatic detected bitrate to use in your case. You can't use the Video Player OSD to set manual bitrates fully as it adjusts to the resolution of the item playing or lower. It does not allow full control as the main settings menu does. Setting it manually can help it "get its head on straight" so to speak. Let us know what happens. Thanks and happy new year! :)

NOTE: The Roku cannot directly play the .ts container, but changing bitrate will allow it to copy the streams inside the container and hopefully retain sync.

Edited by speechles, 31 December 2018 - 10:21 PM.

#7 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:52 AM

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Are you using a remote server or one local? If local can you set the Max bitrate in the app settings (press * on Home of the app). Choose 80 Mbps do not choose Auto. Now play your item and see if you experience the issue. The Auto may be detecting too low of an automatic detected bitrate to use in your case. You can't use the Video Player OSD to set manual bitrates fully as it adjusts to the resolution of the item playing or lower. It does not allow full control as the main settings menu does. Setting it manually can help it "get its head on straight" so to speak. Let us know what happens. Thanks and happy new year! :)

NOTE: The Roku cannot directly play the .ts container, but changing bitrate will allow it to copy the streams inside the container and hopefully retain sync.

Alas there is no change after trying this (on a local server).

#8 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2449 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

Again keep in mind this is ONLY occurring on the RokuTV, not on the normal Roku set-top boxes.  But there should be no issue with dropping the fps to 30 for Roku in general if that is what's needed.

No, don't do that for all Rokus as that will kill the temporal resolution.

I didn't look at the logs (sorry) but is this a 720 or 1080 station?

#9 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3681 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:19 AM

No, don't do that for all Rokus as that will kill the temporal resolution.

I didn't look at the logs (sorry) but is this a 720 or 1080 station?

Yeah wouldn't do that. It would be sort of the same as the HEVC at 60fps setting and show for the user if it detects they are using a RokuTV. In that same way we could allow another option for those users who might experience issues to trim the 60fps to 30fps with a setting. Everyone without a RokuTV would never know those settings even existed as they would never see them.

Edited by speechles, 02 January 2019 - 12:25 AM.

#10 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

Yeah wouldn't do that. It would be sort of the same as the HEVC at 60fps setting and show for the user if it detects they are using a RokuTV. In that same way we could allow another option for those users who might experience issues to trim the 60fps to 30fps with a setting. Everyone without a RokuTV would never know those settings even existed as they would never see them.

That sounds AWESOME!!  Let me know when I can test it out!

#11 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2449 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

That sounds AWESOME!!  Let me know when I can test it out!

We're just spit balling ideas here.  No developer has commented so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a "fix" just yet.

It's very possible this could get fixed/worked around in code and have no need for a setting.

Wait and see what the devs say and then you can always make a "feature request" for this option if needed.

#12 bardmaster OFFLINE  

bardmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:32 PM   Best Answer

I'm happy to announce that this has been fixed with server 4.0.1 and Emby for Roku 3.0.140.

Thank you!

• speechles likes this

#13 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3681 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:43 AM

Always nice to hear back that an issue is resolved. Be happy. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TCL, RokuTV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users