Better Parental rating support UK

vileboy

vileboy

Is there anyway of scraping metadata from http://www.bbfc.co.uk/, as IMDB and TMDB have quite poor parental rating support for UK ratings (irritating oversight as IMDB was started by a Brit)?  I can use reports and then manually search for titles with missing ratings but thats painstaking when you have 500 plus titles with missing ratings.

I'd like to know this too. I'm having trouble getting MB3 to display UK rating logo's in any supported client. If MB3 could get these direct from the BBFC, that would be great. Not easy to tell if the BBFC expose a public API, but there are google youtube code references to a getbbfcrating() call. Don't know whether this is private or public though.

As it stands, MB3 just shows the rating text taken from the metadata (e.g. gb-12a). MB2 shows these logos fine. I have all the correct logos in my IBN\MediaInfo\All folder as per the setup instructions. Don't know whether this is an issue, but while I'm in the UK, I'm using a masquerading DNS service to view US content.

Beardyname

IMDB also has this : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg#certification

Where quite a few countries ratings are included, would it be possible to use that ? ( if the OMDB) includes it.

*edit*

noticed TMDB also has these ratings, but then again not sure if they include all of them in their API.

Edited by Beardyname

Ok, so it might be possible to call different country ratings depending on the setting in MB3 server, which is good, but any reason why MB3 won't actually display my UK rating logos? Everything is setup ok, and as I said, it all works in MB2. I'm still using MCM to manage metadata, and this creates a single movie.xml file in each movie folder (no other xml files present). MCM uses the <ContentRating> tag, which is still supported I believe. I manually set these to 'gb-<UK-rating>' in MCM, but oddly enough, when I view the same metadata in MB3, nothing is displayed for the ratings tag. I can manually select one from the drop list, but it's like MB3 is ignoring these tags (all other metadata shows ok).

If I can get MB3 to see the tag, should it display the correct logo?

media browser classic is the only app that uses the logos. so you need to be using that, and yes, it supports it.

vileboy

Do they have a public API?  We don't employ web scraping.

I don't think they have a public API which puts the nail in  that coffin.  Oh well, I'll just do it manually and update tmdb at the same time.

I saw discussion back in 2010 of them creating one but I guess nothing ever came of it.