Fast forward support

Super Friends

Super Friends

OK, why is the Fast Forward and Rewind missing on the Fire TV, Android, etc. app?  Netflix has it, Kodi has it, Hulu has it, Amazon has it..... I could go on and on. I know I can skip, etc. but as a user I do not want to tell my wife, my kids every flipping time how to do it. These are media playing standards fellas. 

kanipek

I thought the same thing. Did you mean via the left-right on the dpad? There are buttons on the remote for the FTV haven't - tried ityet to see if it is skipping or rew/FF.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by kanipek

Hi.  Fast forwarding in streaming apps has mostly been supplanted by skipping.  How do you fast forward in Netflix?  I don't think I've seen that in a very long time.  Don't use Hulu but YouTube and every other streaming player I've used has skipping instead of FF/Rew these days.

• Like 1

Super Friends

Really, that was not helpful. You use the left and right keys just like Emby. However, in Netflix for example, when the left or right arrows are used a time line is shown that gives a graphical representation (that's an image mastrmind11) that shows you your progress. Similar to FF and RR. This is helpful and time saving do to the fact that most users can remember a scene from around the time they left off. Netflix has a few users (that's sarcasm mastrmind11) and I'm sure they have tuned their controls. Your hubris is amazing stay under the bridge.

Jdiesel

I really hope the Android apps add support for bif files during scrubbing. That is one thing I miss when switching between the Roku and my ATV.

Really, that was not helpful. You use the left and right keys just like Emby. However, in Netflix for example, when the left or right arrows are used a time line is shown that gives a graphical representation (that's an image mastrmind11) that shows you your progress. Similar to FF and RR. This is helpful and time saving do to the fact that most users can remember a scene from around the time they left off. Netflix has a few users (that's sarcasm mastrmind11) and I'm sure they have tuned their controls. Your hubris is amazing stay under the bridge.

Okay, that is not a true FF either - that is skipping just like we do.  It is just that Netflix is serving up the same exact file to everyone who is playing it so they can run all kinds of pre-processes on it once and everyone gets to enjoy.

With Emby, we're streaming your content to you so it could be quite expensive to generate thumbs every few seconds for every single one of your videos - this is something we plan to look into for the future though.

For now, if you pause the video and then start skipping, I think in most instances, the screen will update with the new position on each skip.  Should be a very similar experience.

• 3 months later...
Super Friends

Its possible with the Emby Theater client. I'm sorry as a consumer I thought I purchased the same functionality across all platforms. Salavie.

• 11 months later...
Dan_Austin

Sorry for the necro-bump, but this question is close to one I was about to post.  Is there

a combination of settings on the server and Android app (Shield specifically) that would

allow for fast-forward to perform like it does on the Roku app? 

At least with the current versions and beta on each the behavior is different.  On the

Roku a single press of FF/RWD has the player continuing to perform that action,

displaying thumbnails if they exist, until another navigation key is pressed.  The Shield

is either a skip (hate it) on a short press or multiple jumps on a long press then

pauses on the thumbnail display so it is easier at least to see where each press

would end up in the media, but still clunky.

And only semi related, while roadmaps are considered a bad word, is there a list of

features on each platform that are consistency targets, and which platforms will be the

model for the rest?

The Shield

is either a skip (hate it) on a short press or multiple jumps on a long press then

pauses on the thumbnail display so it is easier at least to see where each press

would end up in the media, but still clunky.

Hi.  What do you consider "clunky" about that?  We worked through these behaviors at great length when developing the feature.

The Roku is not within our control. It is all handled by the standard Roku player so it is the one that it kind of an odd duck.

Dan_Austin

Interesting that the Roku is the odd duck, as it is the most natural.

Clunky may not of been fair, but maybe cumbersome would not sound

much nicer.

Most of my use is to skip commercials.  With the excellent options in

the Android app for skip length, I have found 10s ideal for resolution, but

requires a silly amount of pressing for longer breaks.  30s helps with longer

breaks, but short ones then require extra steps to go back to where the

program resumes.  Each extra button press distracts from the program.

Roku 2 buttons to get where I want.

Android 7~20 depending on commercial length and skip resolution.

If there are settings to reduce that, great.  If not, then I live with it.

This is the only usability feature I find inferior on the Android platform and

hope that the consistency effort is largely about bringing the other apps inline

with the Android app.

And referencing post #8, since the server now can generate thumbnails in advance,

Netflix style navigation could be possible.  That said I get that going back to redevelop

a feature after a server-side change enables new possibilities could/would delay new

features and not be the best use of limited developer time.

Thanks for your time on this.  It is appreciated.

Spaceboy

Interesting that the Roku is the odd duck, as it is the most natural.

Clunky may not of been fair, but maybe cumbersome would not sound

much nicer.

Most of my use is to skip commercials. With the excellent options in

the Android app for skip length, I have found 10s ideal for resolution, but

requires a silly amount of pressing for longer breaks. 30s helps with longer

breaks, but short ones then require extra steps to go back to where the

program resumes. Each extra button press distracts from the program.

Roku 2 buttons to get where I want.

Android 7~20 depending on commercial length and skip resolution.

If there are settings to reduce that, great. If not, then I live with it.

This is the only usability feature I find inferior on the Android platform and

hope that the consistency effort is largely about bringing the other apps inline

with the Android app.

And referencing post #8, since the server now can generate thumbnails in advance,

Netflix style navigation could be possible. That said I get that going back to redevelop

a feature after a server-side change enables new possibilities could/would delay new

features and not be the best use of limited developer time.

Thanks for your time on this. It is appreciated.

theres no way Roku is 2 buttons only. My experience of proper fast forward is that by the time you react to seeing the end of the commercial break you’ve missed it and you have to rewind a bit.

For me it’s pretty much always 8 presses of skip at 30s each which will take me to within a couple of seconds of the end of the advert break in less than 5s. Far superior to Roku imo

Netflix style navigation could be possible.  

Hi.  The app already has this visual seeking method.