New version for Roku

unisoft

Is there a plan to have this app pushed today? Next blackout starts tomorrow and I'd like to have my family be able to watch over the break. They currently cannot since I'm waiting for the LDAP auth fix.

Hi.  The new version went out on Tuesday...

In this version if i go to recordings it has stretched all the posters to make them into thumbnails shouldn’t be using thumbnail image so it looks nicer.

Edit Have enabled image enhancers now it is showing portrait images but there is so much blank space between posters.

Edited by denz

@@denz added it to the issue tracker. We will figure it out. Thanks for finding it. If you see any more issues like this please don't hesitate to mention them. Thanks.

• Like 1

TheCrackFox

How does one download the latest emby app without going through ROKU? I have to side load the app as my country does not support ROKU (region locked) 

How does one download the latest emby app without going through ROKU? I have to side load the app as my country does not support ROKU (region locked) 

Unfortunately we don't have side-loadable versions at this time. Sorry.

What is your country?

Does the Emby Beta not allow you to download/install it either?

Edited by speechles

TheCrackFox

I am in Australia.  Roku did a deal with Telstra a local broadband/phone/pay tv provider. can not make a working account with roku.  

plex has native support on the telstra branded roku. seems pretty unfair to me.

I am in Australia.  Roku did a deal with Telstra a local broadband/phone/pay tv provider. can not make a working account with roku.  

You're not able to install our app from the store?

I spoke to @@ebr about getting on that same store. I told him cable providers are using Roku as a rebranded cable box to give their customers and these are tied to different store fronts. How hard this is to do or how much compensation ($$ vs $$$$) they require is anyone's guess. Anyone care to guess?

cybergrimes

Not something you could solve with a VPN?

mattyg8

I spoke to @@ebr about getting on that same store. I told him cable providers are using Roku as a rebranded cable box to give their customers and these are tied to different store fronts. How hard this is to do or how much compensation ($$ vs $$$$) they require is anyone's guess. Anyone care to guess?

Yeah it is a different store, that seems not to be linked to official roku store. Id love to see the new app on this store.

jillybean

I too would love this as I have 2 x Telstra TV rokus.  I have side loaded a much earlier version of emby for now, but it really shows how far emby has come when compared to the roku store one.

jack1574

To make a roku account you need at least one roku device, the telstra tv roku won't register.  no VPN can help.

So what is the problem? why is there no side load version of the emby app for roku? 

did roku make you boys sign a contract so that you can only release it through the roku store?

what gives?

jack1574

Thank you Luke,

All of the roku devices in Australia are locked to the Telstra store,  if you can get in there it is a massive user base.  Some how plex made it on a couple of years ago now.  

please keep us updated with your progress, good or bad

Cheers

unisoft

The new version looks odd. I don't remember the FIRST TILE only on the homescreen having th focus frame around it, I am sure it was more natural and moved as you scrolled horizontally.

Also collections are shown as much bigger rectangle backdrops on the new content section, rather than just the DVD/Bluray covers for singular items (this existed before).Looks weird with wide rectangles and then more vertical rectangle shapes.

Edited by unisoft

The new version looks odd. I don't remember the FIRST TILE only on the homescreen having th focus frame around it, I am sure it was more natural and moved as you scrolled horizontally.

This focus behavior has been there for quite a while now.  It allows you to wrap around (go either direction in the row).

What may have happened is that you may have had few enough libraries that they didn't fill the whole row.  In that case, the row doesn't wrap and, instead, focus moves along it.

unisoft

What is odd about the focusing?

The frame is around the FIRST tile (library) only and does not move, you kind of expect the frame around a library to animate to the right as you scroll left or right and then when you get to the end it moves the whole line of image tiles to the left. I'm sure it did this in the previous version?

Edited by unisoft

The floating focus does not allow wrapping. Floating focus still does occur if the items in the row are not enough to fill the row. But floating focus will not occur if it is scrolling items onto the screen. This is to keep the ability to wrap the row left/right. You can navigate from the start to the end by just pressing left once. This ability is lost with floating focus. We use fixed focus when items must scroll and floating focus when they cannot. This is a standard Roku interface mechanism doing both. We do not tell the interface to focus differently this is all handled by the firmware whether the focus will be fixed or floating.

Edited by speechles

Isn't that what I said here:)

Yep. I was just trying to explain the reasoning. We like wrapping rows. You can't have wrapping rows and floating focus. The two are oil and water. Choosing wrapped rows with fixed focus is to ease navigation. It is better.

• 2 weeks later...