New version for Roku

unisoft

unisoft

Anyone know if the Roku app is going to be updated soon?

As far as I know its been quite a while for the one from the app store to get any form of update?

I know there is a beta, but I want to run the production version rather than that.

Nice to think there is a juicy update coming (like no MPEG2 transcoding on Roku stick) before Christmas.

Thanks....

Hi.  The last release version of the Roku app was less than two months ago.

Roku has just come out of a release black-out period and will be entering another one in a couple of weeks so we hope to get a new release out in this window.

Thanks.

• Like 1

bcm00re

Nice to think there is a juicy update coming (like no MPEG2 transcoding on Roku stick) before Christmas.

As far as I know, that is a Roku limitation -- so it isn't anything Emby can change on its own. Edited by bcm00re

Yeah. Roku needs to add support for MPEG2 to the device. Once they do we already detect support for MPEG2 based on what the device replies back with when queried. There is no app update required when/if MPEG2 is added to devices with the OS9.x update.

If you can help us test the beta version of the app for bugs/issues/crashes it would be most helpful. This is the version that will be promoted to stable. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

unisoft

Yeah. Roku needs to add support for MPEG2 to the device. Once they do we already detect support for MPEG2 based on what the device replies back with when queried. There is no app update required when/if MPEG2 is added to devices with the OS9.x update.

If you can help us test the beta version of the app for bugs/issues/crashes it would be most helpful. This is the version that will be promoted to stable. Thanks. :)

I thought this had now happened as MPEG2 patent expired in UK and most of the world?

Its v9.x here for my Roku Stick (current model, not the 'express') and I was on understanding the MPEG2 codec was now added from version 8.xx (in Roku OS)

Edited by unisoft

The patent did expire. But we rely on the interface "canDecodeVideo" to tell us what the Roku device supports. Roku must update their devices to include MPEG2 and once they do it will report as capable to canDecodeVideo which means we will support it in the app. If your device supports MPEG2 the beta version of the emby app will play it right now. Once the release version (aka stable, aka store version) gets updated to match it will too.

Edited by speechles

cybergrimes

If your device supports MPEG2 the beta version of the emby app will play it right now. Once the release version (aka stable, aka store version) gets updated to match it will too.

I was testing an MPEG2 transcoding issue over in the beta server forum so I fired up my Roku stick but discovered it was direct streaming instead of transcoding.

If I'm following this thread correctly that shouldn't be the case yet since it's running Roku 8.1 with Emby stable?

Happy2Play

I was testing an MPEG2 transcoding issue over in the beta server forum so I fired up my Roku stick but discovered it was direct streaming instead of transcoding.

If I'm following this thread correctly that shouldn't be the case yet since it's running Roku 8.1 with Emby stable?

Are you running the beta Emby Roku channel? What channel version number?

Edited by Happy2Play

cybergrimes

Are you running the beta Emby Roku channel?

I just double checked since I've used beta before but it's on stable, no red "Beta" text on the channel icon. I search the Roku store and it says it was released Oct. 4th, version 7.0

Happy2Play

I just double checked since I've used beta before but it's on stable, no red "Beta" text on the channel icon. I search the Roku store and it says it was released Oct. 4th, version 7.0

So on the channel settings menu you see 3.0.111?

The release version does have the capabilities changes already in.

The beta version has extra features and extends the capabilities even further. In the beta you can adjust things within the OSD with the playback menu, like playback correction and resolution/quality bitrate changes. So you have more control over playback when Roku firmware issues cause problems.

@speechles

I just got a Roku Ultra OS ( Firmare 9.x).  Using the official emby channel I get pixalisation/artifact when playing OTA recording 1080i content with a bitrate around 19mbps (The ultra is ethernet wired).  Bitrate lower than 15mbps on 1080i content seems ok.  If I forced the maximum bitrate in the Roku menu to 15, Emby server transcode those recording and playback is ok.  I would like to try your beta channel to see how the new channel performs.  However, when I click on the link you provided, I get this message:

"The supplied channel code is associated to a channel that is not available in your area."

I'm in Canada.

Thank you

Edited by rouq

However, when I click on the link you provided, I get this message:

"The supplied channel code is associated to a channel that is not available in your area."

I'm in Canada.

Thank you

I thought we were available world wide with both store/public and beta/private channels. 

@@ebr Can you confirm the world can participate? Thanks. :)

I thought we were available world wide with both store/public and beta/private channels. 

@@ebr Can you confirm the world can participate? Thanks. :)

@@ebr

@@speechles

Just let you know  that I was able to add it.  The default language in my Roku account was set to "french canada".  I switch to english canada and then I was able to add embybeta.

Thank you

Edited by rouq

@@ebr

@@speechles

Just let you know  that I was able to add it.  The default language in my Roku account was set to "french canada".  I switch to english canada and then I was able to add embybeta.

Thank you

Nice. Roku has two settings. First is location where do you want your app available. After that is what languages does your app support. We support the world for location, but language wide yes. We only support English. Specifically American English.

We have in the app where all text strings are sent to the translator. But the translator isn't written to convert these strings into their required translated pieces yet. I did add it to the issue tracker that all the translator was doing is sending back what it got. This means for users in the UK the English is sometimes wrong. We favorite in American English, not favourite like British English. It is an issue for sure.

We will have the translator actually translating the strings one day. Everything is done by priority and user demand. No users have really questioned why the app isn't using locale.

Glad you fixed the issue and apologies you can't see French entirely.

• 2 weeks later...
unisoft

Do we know a month yet when the new Roku version will be released? Not looking for exact date just a rough indication of a month so get an idea of time?

Overall experience on the Roku has been good (stable release) and it surpassed expectations. It was mainly the mpeg2 transcoding I wanted to see gone (at the time of original post did not know it was achievable).

Thanks for the good work so far on it :)

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Do we know a month yet when the new Roku version will be released? Not looking for exact date just a rough indication of a month so get an idea of time?

Overall experience on the Roku has been good (stable release) and it surpassed expectations. It was mainly the mpeg2 transcoding I wanted to see gone (at the time of original post did not know it was achievable).

Thanks for the good work so far on it :)

2018 Channel Store publishing blackout dates
  • FridayNovember 16 — SundayNovember 25, 2018Thanksgiving week (USA)
  • FridayDecember 14, 2018 — WednesdayJanuary 2, 2019Winter holidays

​Have you confirmed with the beta app that the update will accomplish what you are looking for?  As I think this is more of a Roku Firmware issues not a Emby channel/app issue.

Edited by Happy2Play

SmogMonster

Hmmmm, I'm starting to get a little concerned now. I have just come over to emby from Plex yesterday. I have a Roku 2XS. The Plex Roku app was recently updated and made the Roku unusable.(majority of media not displaying, causing repeated buffering and crashing).

Is the same thing in store for me here? I simply can't afford any more hardware for the foreseable future. I thought emby was my saviour. Now who knows?

snodrog742

Hmmmm, I'm starting to get a little concerned now. I have just come over to emby from Plex yesterday. I have a Roku 2XS. The Plex Roku app was recently updated and made the Roku unusable.(majority of media not displaying, causing repeated buffering and crashing).

Is the same thing in store for me here? I simply can't afford any more hardware for the foreseable future. I thought emby was my saviour. Now who knows?

Never had any such issues.

Is there a plan to have this app pushed today? Next blackout starts tomorrow and I'd like to have my family be able to watch over the break. They currently cannot since I'm waiting for the LDAP auth fix.

SmogMonster

@@SmogMonster, nothing to worry about. Our official Roku app will have you covered. Thanks !

Thanks Luke,set my mind at rest.

I used the Roku app for the first time last night. It was as smooth as a cashmere codpiece. :)