New server - Any weak points ?

Svendsen18

Svendsen18

Greetings all you emby users out there!

I've been selected to set up a emby server for our gaming community where we are gonna put our own made movies - and movies in general onto the server.
Im guessing that the load of the server will be streaming up to 10 people at a time when we sit in discord and watch the same movie while talking about it with files around the 4-8gb range.
For this i have found a used computer that im very close to buying and it has the following specs: 

Specs:
Case: Fractal Design R6
MOBO: MSI X470 Gaming Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x16GB DDR4 2666Hz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
PSU: Corsair RM750x Fully Modular
GPU: 
MSI GTX 730

Internet: 100/100 Mbps

1: Is this rougly enough for what im gonna use it for ? i fear i am missing something cause i am no near a pro at useing a emby server yet.

2: I've read that some people say that around 2000 in passmark for each person regarding CPU power and the ryzen gets around 16971 so it seems to be on the low side, but the server have tons of ram, is there anything i can do to "take the load off the cpu"

TLDR, is the following spec fine for up to 10 person watching something at the same time, or is my PC/internet too slow 

I truly hope that there is a true emby pro out there that can comment on this - and in advance, thank you all for the help!

KarlDag

As much as AMD CPUs are awesome, I would go with Intel for this because of quicksync hardware acceleration. Otherwise use a more powerful GPU to get hardware acceleration there.

Transcoding doesn't require much ram, 8gb is plenty in general.

Also, what you could do is make sure all of your files are PREtranscoded into a widely supported format (h264 video, AAC 2.0 ac3 5.1 audio) so you won't even need to transcode to send it to your friends unless you run out of upload bandwidth.

SHSPVR

If you stick with 1080p file you should be fine but more like 7 to 8 transcoding other then you step up to a Threadripper or add nVidia P2000 up 8 or AMD Radeon up 5 but as KarlDag said you look in to that option

I agree 8GB I more plenty in general

Edited by SHSPVR

Svendsen18

To be brutally honest, im not sure how "hard" transcoding will be, its around those 4-6gb files with subtiles in 1080p

I have a chance to throw in a MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU instead, is AMD just as good as nividia to help out with the load ?

Svendsen18

Ryzen does not have a IGPU so for me to see anything on the screen i need a GPU, so it is mostly thats why, but i've seen people talking about using their GPU  to get hardware acceleration of some kind, but yeah i'm not sure how it works tbh

SHSPVR

We need to back up a little. Why are you using a GPU?

Correct me if I'm wrong Doofus but doesn't GPU also work along long side with CPU so a GPU can do 5 HT and CPU can do 7 ST transcode doesn't give 12 transcode in all

KarlDag

In any case, as far as I know consumer grade Nvidia cards are limited in software to 2 concurrent hardware accelerated streams, even if it could theorically do more.  For this reason, I would definitely go for a Radeon, something like a 560 or 570.

To be brutally honest, im not sure how "hard" transcoding will be, its around those 4-6gb files with subtiles in 1080p

I have a chance to throw in a MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB GPU instead, is AMD just as good as nividia to help out with the load ?

Svendsen18

Not at all, but they seem to be the best regarding the multitasking, so my thought was they would be best for this use as well, because of the high core count - again this is from my very limited knowledge im all in for a better build if it is possible.

What i've seen is that ryzen > intel for price to performace in multitasking workloads, but there is not many plex/emby benchmarks out there so can't really find proff that ryzen IS better, hell it could be shit for all i know :D

Edited by Svendsen18

SHSPVR

I usually don't install this kind stuff on my gaming system but I want test it out and try this for my self this as it my best video card I have.

I guest Emby is still a bit broken with AMD it wouldn't make use of the Vega encoder at all but did make of decoder unlike with Plex what a bummer.

And yes it 100% true AMD cards or only good for about 5 "hard" transcoding and my CPU was max that a bit of a bummer as I was transcoding TV recording MPEG-2TS file to H264

I think Doofus is on the right track, it may be best to go intel and it quick sync video at leases for now.

Jdiesel

Almost a year has passed since I last said it but I would still go for CPU horsepower and software transcoding over a GPU and H/W accelerated encoding.

My second recommendation would be to search out your local classifieds or eBay for a retired enterprise class server. Something with a 12c/25t Xeon e5 can be found for a reasonable price.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

KarlDag

Not at all, but they seem to be the best regarding the multitasking, so my thought was they would be best for this use as well, because of the high core count - again this is from my very limited knowledge im all in for a better build if it is possible.

What i've seen is that ryzen > intel for price to performace in multitasking workloads, but there is not many plex/emby benchmarks out there so can't really find proff that ryzen IS better, hell it could be shit for all i know :D

You are absolutely correct EXCEPT when were talking about transcoding. Because of the integrated GPU and quicksync, Intel's CPUs (7th Gen and up for HEVC) eat Ryzen for breakfast.

• Like 1

KarlDag

Almost a year has passed since I last said it but I would still go for CPU horsepower and software transcoding over a GPU and H/W accelerated encoding.

My second recommendation would be to search out your local classifieds or eBay for a retired enterprise class server. Something with a 12c/25t Xeon e5 can be found for a reasonable price.

For quality, yes. But much cheaper to get a mid-range kaby lake than a 10core i9 current gen cpu.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

You are absolutely correct EXCEPT when were talking about transcoding. Because of the integrated GPU and quicksync, Intel's CPUs (7th Gen and up for HEVC) eat Ryzen for breakfast.

Nice way to go but shouldn't a Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Thread with motherboard that cost same as has one 10core i9 I wonder how it would stack up.

KarlDag

Nice way to go but shouldn't a Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Thread with motherboard that cost same as has one 10core i9 I wonder how it would stack up.

Passmark are both around 22000, when comparing the 1950x to 7900x. The Intel adds hardware acceleration on top of that... I'd get the Intel 10/10 for this task.

EDIT talking about performance. Prices are probably different, but then you have a GPU included.

Edited by KarlDag

SHSPVR

Passmark are both around 22000, when comparing the 1950x to 7900x. The Intel adds hardware acceleration on top of that... I'd get the Intel 10/10 for this task.

EDIT talking about performance. Prices are probably different, but then you have a GPU included.

Yes that true but I meant in real world which is not the same.

KarlDag

Yes that true but I meant in real world which is not the same.

Sounds like a trap, but I'll bite. Why would a powerful CPU that includes a powerful hardware accelerating GPU perform worse than a similarly powerful CPU that doesn't have the hardware acceleration in the real world?

If anything, I think you'd be surprised how much more powerful the Intel would be. The difference is night and day on my i5-7500 with/without the hardware acceleration.

SHSPVR

Sounds like a trap, but I'll bite. Why would a powerful CPU that includes a powerful hardware accelerating GPU perform worse than a similarly powerful CPU that doesn't have the hardware acceleration in the real world?

If anything, I think you'd be surprised how much more powerful the Intel would be. The difference is night and day on my i5-7500 with/without the hardware acceleration.

No it wasn't a trap I just in thinking realistically as in side and side compare.