Linux Sucks. Forever.

VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Can we get a TL:DW for those of us w/o audio?

The old technical reasons why Linux sucks have mostly been resolved through iterative improvements, but there's a corporate takeover afoot which threatens the future of Linux as an open-source platform. Microsoft & VMWare are but two examples why Linux is dying by a thousand paper cuts.

• Like 1

Eh, linux is free and a legal free OS. There are multiple industries that use linux everyday on appliances and such. It might lose some users but it will be a long time before it is gone. Most firewalls in production are still running some flavor of linux. Many siem type of devices run linus especially centos. There is even a lot of linux in many large scale operations for back end work like facebook.

mastrmind11

I've never worked at a company that didn't run Linux on their production servers.  The RHEL thing earlier this year might be trouble, but :shrug:

Edited by mastrmind11

Guest asrequested

What they seem to be saying, is not that it's going away, but is becoming/has become/being forced to become a more commercial windows like, platform. Lots of very interesting info in that video.

• Like 1

VaporTrail

10 years ago:

- Linux should be more main stream

Now:

- Linux is to main stream

That's different. You're thinking about sentiments by ironic hipsters no one should pay attention to. If someone thinks Linux is mainstream because of server adoption or their favorite kernel powers Android/IoT devices, they should reconsider their understanding of "mainstream".

This video is about merging open-source code into closed-source projects that extinguishes further open-source development through patent trolling. It's worth knowing about if you're a professional developer.

VaporTrail

@, yes that is his corny speaking style. He has a YouTube channel worth checking out. He's been involved with Linux many years: https://www.youtube.com/user/BryanLunduke/videos

Without re-watching the hour-long video, here's an article discussing the strategy he covers in his keynote: https://www.quora.com/What-is-Embrace-extend-and-extinguish-strategy

VaporTrail

@ Are you a fan of Microsoft buying GitHub? Would love to know your thoughts based on your experience.

Here's that same dude covering the topic, which is a distillation of the keynote video anyway: 

VaporTrail

@ Appreciate your opinions. As you say, time will tell. I believe the data which shows mega corporations cannot work in the public good and stay competitive at the top echelons of business, but there's always hope.

VaporTrail

OMG They are doing it again!!!!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/

I think Bryan Lunduke is about to have another ranty outburst :-)

LOL, I think you're right.  :P

Let's not get it twisted though. Bryan is saying if Microsoft was still following their previous stated goals of Embrace, Extend, Extinguish, this is how he would imagine it'd go, but he's not claiming that's what's actually happening. There's nothing tinfoil hat about relating industry news and putting a question out there.

That said, I can see how adopting Chromium will make websites render much better on Edge and help MS retain browser market-share for Win10 users. It'll certainly benefit web designers who develop on Chrome and don't want to fix compatibility issues with IE/Edge.

I use Chromium on Linux Mint, and now there's a video where Bryan posits the question when will MS buy Canonical. Oy vey. With your news re: Chromium, I guess there's no escape.  :lol: