Cool presentation idea for paused video...

chef

crusher11

OSD still shows on pause on LG.

Honestly that's not so bad, it's that it pops up when I press play again that most bothers me. Gets in the way of the movie.

Spaceboy

Personally I quite liked the osd on pause. But the devs tend to listen to the loudest shouters rather than the majority imo.

• Like 1

lejared

But the devs tend to listen to the loudest shouters rather than the majority imo.

On what data is your assumption based to know what the majority wants?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

On what data is your assumption based to know what the majority wants?

6 years here, several with mediabrowser before
  • Like 1

crusher11

So "none", then?

If you want to display the OSD you can do that at any time. Why inconvenience those of us who actually want to watch out media?

Spaceboy

So "none", then?

If you want to display the OSD you can do that at any time. Why inconvenience those of us who actually want to watch out media?

how are you “watching your media” when it’s paused? [emoji23]

crusher11

There are any number of reasons one might want to pause and still be able to see the thing. And when resuming, the OSD pops up again, obscuring the movie for several seconds.

Spaceboy

There are any number of reasons one might want to pause and still be able to see the thing. And when resuming, the OSD pops up again, obscuring the movie for several seconds.

[emoji3] hello shouty man
  • Like 2

daedalus

Honestly he's right, just consider sports, but I will never get why devs constantly and actively refuse to please both camps

legallink

I can concur here.  Sports is an example, debugging/troubleshooting is an example, examining quality/artifacts/crushed blacks during different scenes.  This hasn't been a huge pain for me, I can see why people would like it.  For me it's a nice to have, not a feature/issue that interrupts my choice or in any way would sway me to look at another platform.

legallink

6 years here, several with mediabrowser before

While I agree that Spaceboy has been here a long time and a valuable contributor, I think it's tough to know what the majority wants, because the majority is often silent.  If you think about it, we have a large amount of registered users for the forum, but a small amount of participants, and a smaller amount that contribute anything beyond "I need help".  With that configuration, a person may know what a subset of the majority want, but the actual majority is tough to have any clue.

Most of the time, the "majority" wants simple, always works, and free.  Then you expand out of that, and Emby targets a couple of principles which some people care about, but based on the amount of Google users in the world, not the majority of people.  And as other solutions disappear or take pivots, it drives users to Emby which don't necessarily care about some of the principles Emby is developed around.  Yada yada, point being the majority is always shifting and therefore tough to know what it wants.

Case in point, for most media server solutions, iOS users are the majority user (or have been for the last several years, possibly has shifted in the last 2 years or so).  iOS was the last mobile supported platform with a native app by Emby.  Majority is difficult to read.

• Like 1

TotalInsanity4

So "none", then?

You can't do that "at any time" unless you back out of the movie you're watching. I was under the impression that was the purpose of this request?...

You can't do that "at any time" unless you back out of the movie you're watching. I was under the impression that was the purpose of this request?...

Sure you can.  You don't need to back out of the movie.  Just press the "down" arrow key after you pause and the OSD will come up.

TotalInsanity4

Sure you can.  You don't need to back out of the movie.  Just press the "down" arrow key after you pause and the OSD will come up.

Ah, I see what they mean now. I'm on the Roku app, so I guess I was imagining more of just the logo+short description fading in (a la Netflix) rather than full OSD with scrub bar, pause button, settings and cover art

• Like 1

K1ng_Lear

Ah, I see what they mean now. I'm on the Roku app, so I guess I was imagining more of just the logo+short description fading in (a la Netflix) rather than full OSD with scrub bar, pause button, settings and cover art

Yeah, this is what I am wishing for, too. This would be so great. Of course should it be a option so that the sport guys can deactivate it.

Do you have screen shots of what this looks like? I am curious. Eager curious. I can design a template for it if I see what you mean. Your media. You way. Thanks. :)

I want to see what Netflix looks like. I don't use Netflix. So I would need  some kind of reference to see how to not copy theirs, but take it to the next level. Thanks again. Straight copy isn't the intent. The idea and how they implemented it is what I am interested in. How far they took the idea and where they cut corners. Does anything move on theirs while it is paused? Or is this just static images and text come in?

Edited by speechles

K1ng_Lear

Do you have screen shots of what this looks like? I am curious. Eager curious. I can design a template for it if I see what you mean. Your media. You way. Thanks. :)

I want to see what Netflix looks like. I don't use Netflix. So I would need  some kind of reference to see how to not copy theirs, but take it to the next level. Thanks again. Straight copy isn't the intent. The idea and how they implemented it is what I am interested in. How far they took the idea and where they cut corners. Does anything move on theirs while it is paused? Or is this just static images and text come in?

I took a photo from the Netflix Pausescreen on my tv screen. Maybe the roku version is looking more fancy.

post-287366-0-79596800-1567236086_thumb.jpeg

I took a photo from the Netflix Pausescreen on my tv screen. Maybe the roku version is looking more fancy.

Theirs has the logo, season #, episode #, and episode title.

We could do logo, boxart, season #, episode #, and episode title. For movies where season # and episode # are becomes the tagline. Let me see what imagination can come up with..

When you pause you are actually using the native Roku transport bar, the purple one. We can overlay extra information on this presentation. But that is why it differs as it isn't really our OSD but it can be made to look like it. Let me see what I can do here.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
miniliQuid

Yeah Netflix does have a comma delimited remark about why the rating is the way it is. I'm not sure if emby holds that same info in the API.

But I can look and see.

Where you able to find this out?

At this point I had to manually adjust parental rating for frozen.

Apparently the new Disney Animated Movies are no longer for kids.

Back in the day they were all G rated, not sure what changed.

If this feature is a possibility it would really help :D

Ah I see it is slightly different from what I imagined it would give as information haha :D

There were a couple of us who tried hard to get perental information per item. A public data set isn't available unfortunately. The only company that had something didn't respond to any email.

miniliQuid

That's a bummer, but I guess most companies are still in it for the money :P

Still it does look awesome though.

Was hoping it would do my google work for me though, on why some items have such high parental rating on them :D