Cool presentation idea for paused video...

chef

Recently I was subjected to a Ransomware attack on my server.

But, because of this I have subscribed to Netflix.

As a long time emby subscriber and user, I see something's that Netflix does that emby most certainly should adopt.

For instance:

When you pause a movie or show, the screen darkens and the logo of the media is displayed as an overlay on the screen.

That is a great presentation. It's simple and functional.

The theater should take note.

• Like 4

We used to do something similar in Android TV and we got complaints - especially from sports watching fans who may pause to see something in the action.

Right, I hadn't thought of that. Netflix doesn't have to work about sports.

Pressing 'back' could clear the screen saver.

Pressing 'back' could clear the screen saver.

We had that too but people still didn't like the obstruction coming up every time they paused.

shpankey

Add it back as an option. Some people don't watch sports. Though iI do, options are always better than no option at all.

• Like 3

lejared

I don't watch sports, but when pause a movie I still want to see the movie with no intrusive overlay. I often pause a movie intentionally to see some details in fast moving scenes, e.g. some space battle in a Star Wars Movie or something. I thought, thats why UHD came to home cincema? :-P

• Like 2

aspdend

Also, there are times I pause to read something on the screen like a text message or letter that a character is holding that is probably readable in the cinema, but no so much on my lowly 50" screen...

• Like 1

kingy444

I would just have it as an alternative to the backdrop rotation that we currently have. The chromecast version is very similiar to the netflix already, this would just be a matter of removing rotating backdrops and overlaying a static image correct?

I would just have it as an alternative to the backdrop rotation that we currently have. The chromecast version is very similiar to the netflix already, this would just be a matter of removing rotating backdrops and overlaying a static image correct?

No.... this request is for while a video is paused.  There is no backdrop.

I found another really neat presentation Netflix uses. It's cool how Netflix shows the Perental rating along the top of the screen when media starts, with an explanation of the rating. It does a really smooth fade out as well.

This could be written as a plug-in actually! Using the message system in from the server!

Oh, finally a new/easy project!

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

miniliQuid

I found another really neat presentation Netflix uses. It's cool how Netflix shows the Perental rating along the top of the screen when media starts, with an explanation of the rating. It does a really smooth fade out as well.

This could be written as a plug-in actually! Using the message system in from the server!

Oh, finally a new/easy project!

Does this also show why the movies are rated like that?

For example most Disney movies these days are PG13 for the silliest reasons (I mean The Lion King and Bambi have always had a G rating, even though Mufasa & Bambi his mom get killed), like some fighting or deaths etc?

Cause that would be really nice to have, enables me to root out the real ratings from the silly ones.

• Like 1

Q-Droid

No.... this request is for while a video is paused.  There is no backdrop.

I believe it takes around 10 seconds of paused time before the overlay shows up in Netflix but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Does this also show why the movies are rated like that?

For example most Disney movies these days are PG13 for the silliest reasons (I mean The Lion King and Bambi have always had a G rating, even though Mufasa & Bambi his mom get killed), like some fighting or deaths etc?

Cause that would be really nice to have, enables me to root out the real ratings from the silly ones.

Yeah Netflix does have a comma delimited remark about why the rating is the way it is. I'm not sure if emby holds that same info in the API.

But I can look and see.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

I believe it takes around 10 seconds of paused time before the overlay shows up in Netflix but I could be wrong.

Yes that's right. It does look cool, but we might not see it in the theater, which is cool.

It is possible to get mediaItem type and display things based on it (as mentioned above by @sixgun) but I don't want to request a bunch of extra work for the core developers. It would be neat though... ...

Edited by chef

• 6 months later...
K1ng_Lear

I would like to see the Movie Logo on Screen during a paused playback, too. I like the Netflix style of a Pause screen. So maybe can you add it as a global option or better library based. So everybody can decide it by himself.

So push up :)

crusher11

I already find the UI intrusions when pausing to be excessive, I'd rather we didn't get even more.

First thing I do when I get a new Blu-ray player is disable the pop-up on screen that shows briefly when I press play or pause. Wish I could do that with Emby, whose indicator is even more obtrusive than most BD players. I'd really rather not have the full-width playback bar, poster, etc pop up every time I pause or resume a film. Especially resuming.

Any screens of how they do it?

Netflix blocks taking screen captures but basically they dim the entire screen and throw the logo up in the middle.

All the feedback we've gotten since Android TV stopped doing something like this has been pretty positive.

Netflix does wait for 10 seconds or so before putting up the logo.

K1ng_Lear

Netflix blocks taking screen captures but basically they dim the entire screen and throw the logo up in the middle.

All the feedback we've gotten since Android TV stopped doing something like this has been pretty positive.

Netflix does wait for 10 seconds or so before putting up the logo.

Yeah, this from you mentioned Netflix behaviour would be fine. Maybe can we get something like this as an option, do everybody can select it by his own choice.

• 1 month later...
TotalInsanity4

As a compromise, how about you add it back as a non-default option with a configurable time-out? That way the sports watchers can be happy without it, someone who likes Netflix behavior can set it to 30 seconds, and someone who frequently pauses to see details can set it to something like 90 seconds, so that if they pause to go to the bathroom the logo will come up but if they're pausing to analyse a frame then they should have enough time to do that

K1ng_Lear

We used to show the OSD on pause.  Stopped doing that by popular request.

Maybe can you build in an option whether the OSD will be shown or not. I understand why sport fans don't want the OSD or why people are afraid that their is a burning in issue. But we want to see all the nice covers and logos when we stop or pause a movie like on the netflix screen. So, if it would be an option everybody would be happy.

daedalus

We used to show the OSD on pause.  Stopped doing that by popular request.

options are no options for emby  :unsure:

• Like 2