No sound with refresh rate switching

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

I just tested that, and I get a black window after the change, no playback at all. When I switch it back, the overlay is there but it's frozen, and the rest of the window is still black. I can back out to the last page, but the background is still black. So changing the refresh rate while playing isn't possible.

Guest asrequested

So you did this outside of emby?

Oh you wanted to test in the standalone? Sorry, I see that you said mpv. I didn't do that, but I will in a little while.

Guest asrequested

Ok, yes the same thing happens in mpv. I may experiment with it, later. It could be a device limitation. I'll be building a new machine, soon. So this will likely be moot.

• 2 months later...
freddyfinn

@ did you find an answer to this issue?  Both my 4600 intels do the the same thing.  My AMD HD5700 doesn't seem to have the issue.   

raymondjpg

I may be completely off beam here but I have a NUC7i5BNH where the only supported MS OS is Windows 10, and where the Intel Display Audio has never been able to survive refresh rate switching with madVR in external players. I can update the HD Graphics driver, but then have to manually install the only audio driver that does survive refresh rate switching from a very early HD Graphics driver package for this NUC. I also have a NUC7PJYH, similarly limited to running Windows 10, which has so far been able toaccommodate all HD Graphics driver updates without losing audio when refresh rate switching.

I never had such a problem with earlier NUCs running Windows 7. I put the problem squarely at the feet of both MS and Intel for limiting the OS support to Windows 10, but have never been sure as to whether the problem is due to Windows 10, or to less than satisfactory graphics driver support. Could be both for all I know, but as I said before this may not be relevant to the issues raised in this thread.

Guest asrequested

That's interesting. Maybe then it's an OS/driver issue with these mini machines? I don't have a NUC. Mine is Beelink, one of the latest models, but the GPU/CPU is a laptop model.  I presently have Ubuntu installed on mine. I may dig it out, and put Windows 10 pro, on it. It came with 'home', so I wonder if that is part of the problem?

raymondjpg

That's interesting. Maybe then it's an OS/driver issue with these mini machines? I don't have a NUC. Mine is Beelink, one of the latest models, but the GPU/CPU is a laptop model.  I presently have Ubuntu installed on mine. I may dig it out, and put Windows 10 pro, on it. It came with 'home', so I wonder if that is part of the problem?

From what I have read Linux graphics drivers leave much to be desired for Home Theater applications. Maybe also audio drivers. You might have more success with Windows 10, you might not. However I have read recently that a recent Asrock motherboard has been specifically designed for Windows 10 and pretty much couldn't even be pressed into attempting an install of Windows 7. The Beelink hardware architecture might be more accommodating of Windows 10 than Linux.

My main beef with Windows 10 is that it caters for so many platforms it is hard to see it completely satisfying all users. MS has to cater for gamers, but I don't see any excuse for Intel expending so much effort to accommodate gamers on NUCs, which in the main are patently unsuitable for gaming. By comparison Home Theater seems to command a pretty low priority from both MS and Intel. I count myself lucky if I can find a combination of home theater application and media player that works in my NUCs, and let's face it if you don't want to go macOS or put up with Linux, we're pretty much stuck with Windows 10.

Guest asrequested

It came with Win 10 Home, and that was what gave me this issue. I was just experimenting with Ubuntu. But I was suggesting that Win 10 Pro, might be better?

raymondjpg

It came with Win 10 Home, and that was what gave me this issue. I was just experimenting with Ubuntu. But I was suggesting that Win 10 Pro, might be better?

I'm agreeing with you! Also suggesting that Windows 10 might not be up to snuff either, but maybe better than Linux. Good luck.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted what you said. If the audio issue arose with Win 10 Home, I doubt it would be any different with Win 10 Pro.

Edited by raymondjpg

• 2 weeks later...
ShoutingMan

I've previously asked about this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=573071

I've experienced this for about a year. It's related to Intel's graphic drivers. After refresh rate switch, currently playing audio from Emby loses sync. When this happens, switching audio tracks during playback will re-sync audio. I have to keep my Win10 PC on a 2017 version of the Intel drivers to eliminate this problem.

I believe a workaround would be to have an MPV script that after refresh rate, would toggle the audio track from currently playing to any other track and then toggle back.

Though my workaround for this and the window-resize problem with Electron has been to switch to an NVidia Shield.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

But this isn't a sync issue, it's losing the audio device. So it can't play the audio.

Yes. That's what happens. HDMI handshake sync is lost, or whatever the right words are, and there's no sound. In my experience, toggling the audio source causes HDMI audio handshake to be re-established and it will play from there. I've seen this discussed in the Intel forums. I've talked with Intel tech support about it several times, and after elevating it to engineering, they've come back with a <shrug>. Going on a year, the new intel drivers cause this problem. I have to stay at Intel driver version 4678 from May 30, 2017 to keep audio working correctly with Emby on my HTPC.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

A possible workaround is an MPV script that toggles the audio source after refresh rate switching is done. It seems like it would work, but I don't know enough about MPV scripting to do it. And I'm using Shield more as Emby client than Emby Theater due to the small collection of annoying quirks that affect Emby Theater on Windows (such as this Intel IGP driver issue).

Guest asrequested

A possible workaround is an MPV script that toggles the audio source after refresh rate switching is done. It seems like it would work, but I don't know enough about MPV scripting to do it. And I'm using Shield more as Emby client than Emby Theater due to the small collection of annoying quirks that affect Emby Theater on Windows (such as this Intel IGP driver issue).

mpv would have to restart, that's how it works. There's nothing to toggle. It would have to restart to re-collect the data. This is why I experimented with delays, to allow the process to finish before mpv restarted. All configs are applied at initiation. Once started, you can't change the settings. This is why when using auto-profiles you should have profiles to undo other profiles. Having said that, I suppose it might be able be scripted to force a restart, once the switch has finished?

ShoutingMan

mpv would have to restart, that's how it works. There's nothing to toggle. It would have to restart to re-collect the data. This is why I experimented with delays, to allow the process to finish before mpv restarted. All configs are applied at initiation. Once started, you can't change the settings. This is why when using auto-profiles you should have profiles to undo other profiles. Having said that, I suppose it might be able be scripted to force a restart, once the switch has finished?

Can't you tell MPV to change audiotracks? I can do it manually, and it re-establishes the HDMI handshake and audio.

Guest asrequested

Can't you tell MPV to change audiotracks? I can do it manually, and it re-establishes the HDMI handshake and audio.

With no audio device, there are no audio options, at all. It's completely disabled. Your issue is not the same as this. 

• 1 month later...
ShoutingMan

I'll try to take a look at that next time I'm tinkering with Emby. (Which might be a while. I've given up repeatedly re-fixing the bugs in ET on Windows and have switched to ET nVidia Shield because it's much more reliable.)

• Like 1