Images/thumbnails generation

akoenig

So here's the manual steps I just went though, may or may not shed any light on this.

So I went through my library in windows and deleted every jpg and png file. Then had emby scan the library. Then went through the library to make sure no images are showing, should just be the colored block with title on it. Found a bunch that were still displaying images. Looked in the windows directory for that movie and found no image file at all. But once I went back into emby and clicked on the movie to edit images, they populated back in the windows directory and still had placeholders for a category of image like thumb and backdrop. So I went through the few dozen movies still showing images and forced them to populate in windows by going to edit images, deleted from the windows side, and then had emby scan the library and then they disappeared on the emby side.

Some type of a clear images function would be really handy, but I can understand this probably wouldn't be something used a ton. It seems if you set metadata image fetching options to pull fewer categories than a previous scan, emby won't remove the image file when you no longer want that category of image, even when doing the replace all metadata option with replacing existing images checked 

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce this?

No performing a Library scan removed the empty placeholders for the missing images in Edit Images.

Tested a Series and a Movie Steps taken

These two items already had all images so I deleted landscape and logo images

launched Emby and went to Library to disable Logos and Thumbs

went to Edit Images in Series and Movie and the Logo and Thumb displayed empty placeholders

Ran a library scan and placeholders were removed.

Active device playback did not show broken image because the server knew there wasn't one.

5c0ac326d8ab4_active.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Some type of a clear images function would be really handy, but I can understand this probably wouldn't be something used a ton. It seems if you set metadata image fetching options to pull fewer categories than a previous scan, emby won't remove the image file when you no longer want that category of image, even when doing the replace all metadata option with replacing existing images checked 

All changes to Library setting only effect future imported media.  It will never affect existing media.

Just like the note says

Changes to metadata or artwork downloading settings will only apply to new content added to your library. To apply the changes to existing titles, you'll need to refresh their metadata manually.

Happy2Play

@@Luke was the replace images fix only in Identity?  (beta server)  I mean does it apply in Refresh metadata also?

Happy2Play

I just verified that Emby will Remove the existing images with the Replace Images option selected on Refresh in next release (3.6).

All previous testing was done on 3.5.3.0.

Edited by Happy2Play

thanks for checking into this with me some more. Not sure if I just had some items that were "stuck" or what. When you said "launched Emby and went to Library to disable Logos and Thumbs" is that the image fetcher options? Even after I went in and deleted every single jpg and png, rescanned the library so no images would display, I still found a couple random ones that had blank spaces under the edit images options for logo or thumb even though I have them disabled in the image fetcher options. But some of the items successfully cleared out the thumbnail or logo after I deleted the image file and scanned the library