transcoding audio wav to flac fails

fire@emby

fire@emby

Hi,

My Emby linux server 3.5.3.0 fails to transcode audio wav files to flac. 

[NULL @ 0x1a8bf80] Unable to find a suitable output format for '/storage0/emby-tmp/transcoding-temp/8db4908250589ff5138da517228d752d'

/storage0/emby-tmp/transcoding-temp/8db4908250589ff5138da517228d752d: Invalid argument

When I change the transcode profile to mp3 it successfully transcodes to mp3. (the basics are working)

My dlna speaker device supports flac therefor I like to preserve the audio quality as much as possible.

If I look at the transcode log file I notice that in the ffmpeg command the extension (.flac) is missing in the output definition.
I am no expert on this but it might be related to my issue. In the log file from the successful mp3 tanscoding the extension (.mp3) is present in the command.

Please see attached log files.

Regards Fire

transcode to flac.txt

transcode to mp3.txt

Hi, how are you getting this to happen in the first place? We have not implemented or tested any transcoding to flac. Usually it is the other way around.

fire@emby

Hi Luke, It might be a “hidden” feature  ;)

In my speaker profile I can configure all containers and codec’s I can think off (flac and flac). I didn't realize Emby was limited to mp3. Is that true?

Maybe better replace the dlna profile configurator with prefix selection boxes. (it will prevent me puting nonsense in)

FFmpeg is like a Swiss army knife I perhaps expected to much of it. Flac encode is compiled in ffmpeg according to the log but you also need to set the command options according to the corresponding codec. This is done by Emby and is probably not implemented.

I did not change anything in the Emby installation. It is a stock installation.

It's not that we're limited to mp3, it's just that what you're trying to do is something we've haven't tested yet. In order to accomplish transcoding to flac, there might be other changes required, and we simply haven't done those yet.

Why convert from one lossless format to another?

fire@emby

That's simple, my audio collection is old (like me :lol:) In the collection I got all kind of data formats.

Not all devices can handle them, then it must be transcoded first. For listening it is preferred to maintain the quality as much as possible. (Encode into a lossy format you always loose quality)

For example I got albums in the lossless "ape" format. None of my devices accept this. Then transcoding to PCM or FLAC is recommended in my opinion. I do not care when a lossy format like wma is transcoded into a lossless format like FLAC when wma is not supported by the same device. The transcoding is required to be able to play it in the first place. Transcoding it into a lossless format will minimize the loss of quality.

I do hear what you say about all of this. Mp3 is not bad, with the bitrate at 320kB I probably wont hear the difference. But there are people out there with high end systems and better ears than me. :rolleyes:

For now, thank you for hearing me. I configured my system with mp3 for the time being. No hard feelings at all.