Recently Released on Home Screen?

dbowles1975

dbowles1975

I realize you can use Time Lord to do this but this also breaks other sorting options in the app. Since it changes the date added to the release date, the sort by "date added" feature under the library no longer works. It just shows your media sorted by the date it was released. I understand now that this is by design but wouldn't it make more sense to just add the option to show "recently released" on the home screen or at least under suggestions within the library instead of as a sort option? The user could then chose to see media that has been either recently added (latest media) or recently premiered... or both.

I just think it would make navigation easier for the end user. For instance, I just added a bunch of movies... I mix of new and old. If I use Time Lord they have to go search for the older movies. If I don't use Time Lord they would have to go search for the newer movie. It seems like it would make more sense to have the option for either or both on the home screen. Searching isn't a big deal but I think having the option for both categories would make things a lot easier.

Or maybe this is already possible and I'm just overlooking something? 

Edited by dbowles1975
  • Like 6

dbowles1975

Latest Movies should accomplish this, no?

If you don't have Time Lord installed it shows new movies in the order you add them. If you have it installed it shows them in the order they were released. You can do either but you can't do both. 

mastrmind11

If you don't have Time Lord installed it shows new movies in the order you add them. If you have it installed it shows them in the order they were released. You can do either but you can't do both.

Right but why do you have to search. Just go to latest and pick one, right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dbowles1975

Right but why do you have to search. Just go to latest and pick one, right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pick one?

I added a movie from 2011 last night. It doesn't show up in "latest movies" because there are enough newer movies to fill that section. If you want to find it you have to search for it. You can't sort by "date added" because that section is broken now that I have installed Time Lord. 

I am going to disable Time Lord and let "latest movies" become recently added instead of recently premiered. I just think it would be nice to have the option of having either or both on the home screen. 

It's confusing to me that there is a plugin to do something that seems possible with Emby alone. It's also confusing that this plugin essentially breaks Emby's sorting capabilities (that's my fault for not thinking it through before installing it). 

Edited by dbowles1975
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vdatanet

It would be nice to have two sections available in the home screen:

Recently Released Media

Recently Added Media (Current Last Media)

Then the user can choose, or one or the other, or both.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 4

dbowles1975

Recently Released Media

Exactly. This seems so trivial to implement that I can't believe it's not an option. The functionality is already there within the library itself. Other than making the Time Lord plugin completely unnecessary I don't see a reason not to add this option. 

Jack Burton

I used Time Lord to clean up my library then disabled it. Now anything added shows up in latest movies, whether new or old, isn't that what you're looking for? If i add a movie that I don't want on the latest section (like an upgrade in quality), I just change the added date to a year ago.. If i'm only looking for new movies, just sort movies by release date. It gives you all your movies by date, not just the newest 18 by clicking on latest movies. For me if the home screen had both recently added and recently released, they would look almost identical and just take up space

dbowles1975

I used Time Lord to clean up my library then disabled it. Now anything added shows up in latest movies, whether new or old, isn't that what you're looking for? If i add a movie that I don't want on the latest section (like an upgrade in quality), I just change the added date to a year ago.. If i'm only looking for new movies, just sort movies by release date. It gives you all your movies by date, not just the newest 18 by clicking on latest movies. For me if the home screen had both recently added and recently released, they would look almost identical and just take up space

I'm suggesting the option to have recently released movies as a category on the home screen. If it would be of no use to you then don't use it. 

If you're adding a lot of old new movies, specifically older movies, (my mother uses Emby and requests a lot of older movies through Ombi) it would be useful to have both recently added and recently released on the home screen. 

• Like 1

vdatanet

I've migrated a Plex server to Emby. The lack of Recently Released has been the first complaint from my family. 

5c0fe5a53bc51_IMG_1022.png

• Like 2

dbowles1975

I've migrated a Plex server to Emby. The lack of Recently Released has been the first complaint from my family. 

You can find recently released in the movie library as a sort option. It's cumbersome but it's there. 

If you want recently released on the home screen you can pay for Emby Premiere and purchase the Time Lord plugin (which is probably part of the reason this feature isn't of much interest to them)... just understand that it breaks the recently added functionality. 

PuffyToesToo

Given your avatar, I was 100% thinking the second sentence was going to read "I find your lack of Recently Released disturbing."  :lol: 

5c0fe5a53bc51_IMG_1022.png

• Like 1

vdatanet

You can find recently released in the movie library as a sort option. It's cumbersome but it's there. 

Yes, I know it's there. But my parents doesn't leave home screen, for them It would be nice the option to have both views in the home screen like plex does.

• 1 month later...
PuffyToesToo

Bumping.... pretty please!   :D 

Recently Released Media

vdatanet

This could be added to the Suggestions tab under Movies.

I prefer to be able to configure the main screen with the "Latest added movies" or "Latest released movies" or both, but if it is easier to put in suggestions, it's fine with me.

In the movie suggestions tab we could have "Latest added movies" and "Latest released movies".

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Personally having the option for "Recently Released Movies" on the home screen would be preferable to the suggestions tabs under movies, 

• Like 3

PuffyToesToo

For me (and other uses too I am assuming from replies), there is a big difference in a section for "newly added content" and "New Releases". One is an update showing what may be a rip you finally made of your 1982 bluray of Xanadu, while when browsing the home screen - you're more interested in watching the newest stuff you have. You've already watched that bluray like, 20 times and finally just digitized it. Just an example of my reason for wanting this. Thanks. 

• Like 3

dbowles1975

For me (and other uses too I am assuming from replies), there is a big difference in a section for "newly added content" and "New Releases". One is an update showing what may be a rip you finally made of your 1982 bluray of Xanadu, while when browsing the home screen - you're more interested in watching the newest stuff you have. You've already watched that bluray like, 20 times and finally just digitized it. Just an example of my reason for wanting this. Thanks. 

I'll second this. I have a lot of users who are now using other means of watching new movies because they check Emby and don't see them on the home screen so they go and look elsewhere (Prime, Netflix... whatever). I've had to explain to them that it IS there it's just not on the home screen. 

You can change latest movies to recently released if you use Time Lord and I think that might be part of the reason they don't want to add it to the home screen. That would make a paid plug-in obsolete. 

• Like 1

vdatanet
Older people do not usually move from the main screen, so it is important that you have as much content as possible.

For example, my mother-in-law asked me for some old movies. After uploading them to the server, she asked me where were the new movies, then with Time Lord, I changed the added date and then, obviously she could not find the old movies that I added recently.

If the main screen had the "newly added" and "newly released" sections, my mother-in-law would be happier, and if the mother-in-law is happy, the son-in-law would also.  :)

• Like 3

PuffyToesToo

Yes, my parents can be easily confused, even if I show them how to navigate. My bf's Mother thinks the modem is her Roku.

So, simplicity for these on the home page is important to me. I hope I've kind of explained my reasons well enough.  :) 

• Like 2

Long time wish of mine as well.  We need both views of the media.

As has been said, RECENTLY ADDED MEDIA isn't the same as RECENTLY RELEASED media.

What I think would actually be the most helpful is if Recently Added is AWARE of Recently Released and doesn't show these entries. Everyone might not like it so it would make a great option.  But this way nothing that is currently released would show up in recently added. Otherwise you could end up with duplicates in both lists.

Here's an example.  Lets say the latest batch of movies added in the last couple of days were these in this order (most recent at top):

The Bourne Identity (2002)
Glass (2019)
On the Basis of Sex (2018)
Bumblebee (2018)
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
Aquaman (2018)
The Mule (2018)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
The Bourne Legacy (2012)
Jason Bourne (2016)
Vice (2018)

Here is what the views would look like if the two worked like I mentioned  (assuming 5 movies are shown in each view):
RECENTLY RELEASED:
Glass (2019)
On the Basis of Sex (2018)
Bumblebee (2018)
Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
Aquaman (2018)

RECENTLY ADDED:
The Bourne Identity (2002)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
The Mule (2018)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
The Bourne Legacy (2012)

I didn't look up the actual release date of those above but I think it's clear enough what I'm getting at.  Had we not filtered out the "released" versions then both lists would look very similar.

• Like 1