Can Emby transcode DTS to DD/AC3?

andrewmalpass

CBers

TL;DR, but I used to use "PopCorn MKV AudioConverter". 

You could set it up to process a folder at a time, converting what you needed. 

I used it to check for movies with a DTS track, but without an AC3 track, then convert DTS to AC3 and save both, making the AC3 track the default. 

Haven't used it for a few years as I now have a soundbar capable of playing DTS. 

No doubt it uses the ffmpeg range of tools internally, but the UI made it easier than writing out code on the command line. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ADHARA26

It s a mess to transform all our DTS / DTS MA audio tracks to AC3, with loss audio quality 😥

Best solution is to user an externel AV player like Zidoo 9X and external sound system

But BEST would be LG add DTS codecs to their 2020 TV ...

nekoLite
8 hours ago, ADHARA26 said:

It s a mess to transform all our DTS / DTS MA audio tracks to AC3, with loss audio quality 😥

Best solution is to user an externel AV player like Zidoo 9X and external sound system

But BEST would be LG add DTS codecs to their 2020 TV ...

It's not possible for LG to add DTS support for their 2020 TV's since they are physically lacking the hardware to decode DTS.

nekoLite
5 hours ago, ADHARA26 said:

So maybe a passthrough audio (direct mode) for DTS ?

Well, yes, that is already possible if your soundbar/stereo can playback DTS. But for some of us who have a soundbar that doesn't have DTS support the only workarounds are to either convert all the audio manually, wait for the next Emby LG app which will have the manual transcoding option, or get other equipment (an external media player that can do DTS, or another DTS capable soundbar).

ADHARA26

Agree but at the moment, there is no "direct mode" available for DTS on LG CX/GX  2020 models

I've an HT (home theather) with all DTS codecs built-in. But no sound when watching movie with DTS sound track (I use emby client from LG app store).

My TV is connected to my HT with an HDMI cable (ARC "On").

Edited by ADHARA26
rbjtech

@ADHARA26

The LG C9 onwards does not even allow passthrough of DTS... :(

The only way to get DTS is a) use an External Client to your AVR or b) Emby converts it Internally on-the-fly (transcode) to DD which will then be passed via ARC to your AVR. 

Option b is what a lot of user in this thread are waiting for but no ETA at this time ..

There is an option c) actually which is to add an extra AC3 track yourself, see earlier in this thread, but you'll need some command line experience to do this.

Edited by rbjtech
  • 1 month later...
piejanssens

+1 Same LG boat. Would love to see a transcoding option for DTS to DD.

• Agree 1