Can Emby transcode DTS to DD/AC3?

andrewmalpass

coolspot

Just putting in my two cents of requesting this feature as well.

I think there's a lot of LG/Sonos users impacted specifically, but possibly a need with other equipment as well.

I ran a media file last week where I had the choice of 7.1 audio..and it being choppy...and 5.1 chinese audio and having it be smooth..

Suffice it to say...I disabled surroud sound from changing audio setting from Auto to PCM temporarily on my TV and watched my movie in 2.0 stereo =P

Edited by coolspot

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
der_lala

Yes we can add an option for this in a future update. Thanks.

hi

so what does emby say ? ;)

btw: is there a kind of todo- or voting-list?

greetings

Yes it's still something we need to add. We monitor feature requests based on activity here in the community. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
markmg

Same here 

Sonos ARC, LG OLED, Emby Nvidia TV

I get no sound with DTS movies 

Edited by markmg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, markmg said:

Same here 

Sonos ARC, LG OLED, Emby Nvidia TV

I get no sound with DTS movies 

Did you connect the Sonos Arc with hdmi arc ? Or better eArc Hdmi?

Optical can't transmit DTS, HDMI does.

Another Sonos/LG user here!

When content is DTS i switch my optical setting on LG from Auto to PCM --> but PCM is just mhwaa.

When content is TrueHd, i can keep my optical setting on LG on Auto --> which its very nice. 

Question, is there a way to transcode dts to dd ? Or when content has DTS/DTS-MA to DD/Stereo, without switching settings?

I'm using the Server en Client on the Shield.

I see some options on Emby Server for Android -> playback: allow DTS and enable MA-DTS, both default: on, but if i turn off, i cant play content with DTS/content is stuttering or doesn't play.

Shield has a setting: Only allow the selected audio, but then there is no decent TrueHD, i think its Stereo

Meanwhile, just switching settings with DTS and DTS-MA content.

rbjtech
4 hours ago, CogyG said:

Optical can't transmit DTS, HDMI does.

Just a correction needed here - Optical/Coaxial can transfer DTS, AC3 and EAC3 (DD+) with Atmos just fine - it is the uncompressed Audio codec's that it does not have the bandwidth for - ie it cannot transfer DTS-HD(MA), DTS-X, Tru-HD 

To note in ALL cases, DTS-HD will also contain a compressed 'DTS 5.1' track - called the 'Core'.  So if the player can play normal DTS - then for 99% of the time, playing a DTS-HD track will work just fine as it will just use the 'Core'.  Unfortunately, Sonos doesn't support DTS, yet alone DTS-HD - which for an AV Soundbar solution is frankly crazy ... then again, my understanding is Samsung don't either - all licensing costs I guess .. 

Edited by rbjtech

markmg

I use the Sonos arc with HDMI on a LG C9 tv, i found some settings in my new 2019 shield that i didnt see before on my 2017 model  🤔 Strange cuz i thought they were the same only for dolby vision.

But it works now 👍

As for DTS i dont miss it, most streaming apps dont offer it anytways, to me it seems that its getting used less and less, maybe if you watch a lot of Blu-ray discs but the majority of what i watch, there is no DTS 

Edited by markmg

rbjtech

Agreed - Tru-HD with Atmos appears to be 'the' HD Audio codec now for 4K content, DTS-HD/X is a distant second.  For 1080p film content though DTS-HD was the front runner by far - not sure why they fell behind tbh as to me, DTS always had a much more powerful sound than AC3 ever did .. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have another question about Sonos and Emby.

If i play a m2ts file my Sonos can play DTS,  (it says its transcoding, but audio codec says DTS) (Also sound is way better than PCM settings from LG tv)

But with a .mkv file i have to change my settings on the LG tv.

Can someone explain this to me

rbjtech

Both .m2ts and .mkv are container formats.  Both likely contain multiple audio tracks.  

The LG Player (built into the TV) has an inherent 'bug' where it will 'skip' to the next playable audio track but not report that back to the 'player' (emby ) - thus you think it is playing one audio stream, when it is infact playing another.

Your 'DTS' track is therefore likely really the 'next' track - which is probably AC3/DD.

If you want to proove this theory, then remove all the audio tracks except the DTS one, and I suspect you will then get no sound output (as it has nothing to skip to)

No Sonos that I am aware of can play DTS, as it doesn't have the hardware/license to do so.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for reply rbjtech.

I am aware that sonos cant play dts.

No .mkv file on emby can play dts track

When playing a movie with dts i have to choose another audio track or switch settings in optical output. (Optical cable to pcm)

But i have got a couple of new m2ts files with only a dts track, the other tracks are ac3 with commentary.

They all just play the audio track dts.

Also using emby client and server on the nvidia shield.

Maybe its because its transcoding to another audio track??

Very strange, but you dont hear me complaining :)

On 7/13/2020 at 8:10 AM, CogyG said:

I have another question about Sonos and Emby.

If i play a m2ts file my Sonos can play DTS,  (it says its transcoding, but audio codec says DTS) (Also sound is way better than PCM settings from LG tv)

But with a .mkv file i have to change my settings on the LG tv.

Can someone explain this to me

Change what settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the force transcoding of DTS on LG TVs?

Also is there an easy way on the LG app to force transcode other than setting the quality to a lower bitrate than the source file?

20 hours ago, xiot said:

Any updates on the force transcoding of DTS on LG TVs?

Also is there an easy way on the LG app to force transcode other than setting the quality to a lower bitrate than the source file?

We've recently submitted a new build to LG which does not have this, but we'll make sure it's in the next submission after that. Thanks.

crbdrbonline
2 hours ago, Luke said:

We've recently submitted a new build to LG which does not have this, but we'll make sure it's in the next submission after that. Thanks.

I just discovered this issue on my 2020 LG TV - Needing Emby to transcode DTS instead of directplaying. Any thoughts you can share on when this will be included? I am fairly new so I have no background on how often new builds are sent to LG. Thanks. 

14 hours ago, crbdrbonline said:

I just discovered this issue on my 2020 LG TV - Needing Emby to transcode DTS instead of directplaying. Any thoughts you can share on when this will be included? I am fairly new so I have no background on how often new builds are sent to LG. Thanks. 

It just depends on how long it takes to get through LG review. Hopefully soon. 

stefan1983

Not only for LG, but could this feature setting also be added to the iOS / tvOS app as well? My receiver only supports AC3 and a setting to live transcode any format (DTS/ATMOS/TrueHD...) to AC3 would be awesome. 

Edited by stefan1983

8 hours ago, stefan1983 said:

Not only for LG, but could this feature setting also be added to the iOS app as well? My receiver only supports AC3 and a setting to live transcode any format (DTS/ATMOS/TrueHD...) to AC3 would be awesome. 

Yes it can.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Would this issue be the reason why my friends with a LG 75UN8100PTB don't get any audio at all with DTS or TrueHD streams? If there is something that can be specified in the app to transcode those streams to something it can play, can someone describe it to me? I'm trying to troubleshoot their problem but I don't have an LG TV to see what the app looks like.

4 hours ago, Strudo76 said:

Would this issue be the reason why my friends with a LG 75UN8100PTB don't get any audio at all with DTS or TrueHD streams? If there is something that can be specified in the app to transcode those streams to something it can play, can someone describe it to me? I'm trying to troubleshoot their problem but I don't have an LG TV to see what the app looks like.

I don't think so. This is about a more optimal format. But it's best that we look at a specific example. Thanks.