Can Emby transcode DTS to DD/AC3?

andrewmalpass

CBers

TL;DR, but I used to use "PopCorn MKV AudioConverter". 

You could set it up to process a folder at a time, converting what you needed. 

I used it to check for movies with a DTS track, but without an AC3 track, then convert DTS to AC3 and save both, making the AC3 track the default. 

Haven't used it for a few years as I now have a soundbar capable of playing DTS. 

No doubt it uses the ffmpeg range of tools internally, but the UI made it easier than writing out code on the command line. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ADHARA26

It s a mess to transform all our DTS / DTS MA audio tracks to AC3, with loss audio quality 😥

Best solution is to user an externel AV player like Zidoo 9X and external sound system

But BEST would be LG add DTS codecs to their 2020 TV ...

nekoLite
8 hours ago, ADHARA26 said:

It s a mess to transform all our DTS / DTS MA audio tracks to AC3, with loss audio quality 😥

Best solution is to user an externel AV player like Zidoo 9X and external sound system

But BEST would be LG add DTS codecs to their 2020 TV ...

It's not possible for LG to add DTS support for their 2020 TV's since they are physically lacking the hardware to decode DTS.

nekoLite
5 hours ago, ADHARA26 said:

So maybe a passthrough audio (direct mode) for DTS ?

Well, yes, that is already possible if your soundbar/stereo can playback DTS. But for some of us who have a soundbar that doesn't have DTS support the only workarounds are to either convert all the audio manually, wait for the next Emby LG app which will have the manual transcoding option, or get other equipment (an external media player that can do DTS, or another DTS capable soundbar).

ADHARA26

Agree but at the moment, there is no "direct mode" available for DTS on LG CX/GX  2020 models

I've an HT (home theather) with all DTS codecs built-in. But no sound when watching movie with DTS sound track (I use emby client from LG app store).

My TV is connected to my HT with an HDMI cable (ARC "On").

Edited by ADHARA26

rbjtech

@ADHARA26

The LG C9 onwards does not even allow passthrough of DTS... :(

The only way to get DTS is a) use an External Client to your AVR or b) Emby converts it Internally on-the-fly (transcode) to DD which will then be passed via ARC to your AVR. 

Option b is what a lot of user in this thread are waiting for but no ETA at this time ..

There is an option c) actually which is to add an extra AC3 track yourself, see earlier in this thread, but you'll need some command line experience to do this.

Edited by rbjtech

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 3:54 PM, rbjtech said:

This feature is in the next release of the LG App - the issue with with all the TV Apps is the manufacturers take FOREVER to validate and approve EACH update.    LG appear to actually be one of the quicker ones .. so just a waiting game I'm afraid ..

It's been a year, did this ever make it into the LG app?

mctubster

Just asked ... for the LG app store two weeks is the standard submission/review/release timeframe (from a manager of this process). Maybe LG wanted some rev share? It would be nice to get a straight answer.

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2021 at 11:30 PM, mctubster said:

Just asked ... for the LG app store two weeks is the standard submission/review/release timeframe (from a manager of this process). Maybe LG wanted some rev share? It would be nice to get a straight answer.

Do you mind reaching out to the LG manager again and asking if Emby team made any submissions in last 18 months? On a different thread (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49958-status-on-official-lg-app) they've been repeating since the beginning of 2020 how difficult it is for them to get an update approved: 

On 10/20/2021 at 5:04 AM, Daicon said:
LG generally takes about 4-6 weeks to review (which is fine), however, they will fail submissions for the most minor of reasons - for example, imagine a minor defect that only occurs on one model year, that sort of thing. And other times they won't take the time to understand how things work and they'll fail the submission because they think something isn't working. On top of that they also have a policy that after a certain number of consecutive rejections, they will remove your app from the store altogether. So it's that threat that makes it a stressful and delicate process and it is the primary reason why there are sometimes gaps in updates. But I an assure, we are working on it

At this point what they say sounds like complete bullsh*t considering so many other app, included some truly atrocious, managed to get their updates approved just fine. I would love to hear what LG has to say about it (and share it in the other thread).

I guess there is nothing we can do to make you guys believe us but the part of the puzzle you are missing is the fact that Emby is like no other app that exists in their store.  The people who review these apps usually have a very hard time understanding what Emby really is because they are used to apps that access centralized content - not personal content.  Also not ones with so many customizations and features where one tiny thing could hang them up.

And before you mention P.... they are no longer all that much like us.  Go log in to your account there now without any server anywhere and you'll see.  It looks just like any other streaming app - accessing the content that they now provide centrally.  You don't even need a server anymore.

@ebr I fully understand how difficult it can be trying to get apps like these approved. I used to be a developer for the mobile app for Amazon Alexa, and we had some similar difficulties. Being Amazon, however, we had the opportunity to show Apple and Google how to configure the devices so they could use the app. 

We also have them an account that already had a device configured so they could easily jump into the core part of the app. 

I'm assuming that you are providing LG with a configured server and credentials so that they can see a populated Emby instance. If not that may make it easier for them to get a sense of what the app does. 

On 10/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, xiot said:

I'm assuming that you are providing LG with a configured server and credentials so that they can see a populated Emby instance

Yes we are.  We have to do that for all app stores. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
MikeyMan
On 12/16/2021 at 9:34 AM, Luke said:

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.31 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

So is it released or not? Or still awaiting LG approval?

Seems the TV plays the DTS track just fine. But passthrough is not working. 

My receiver knows that it is receiving DTS, but no sound. 

11 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

Hi, yes it has. Does your LG support DTS? Most newer ones do not.

15 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

The new (even if somewhat outdated) version has been released at the end of last year. The TDS --> AC3 conversion in the new version works flawlessly on my 2020 LG OLED and so far I've been able to play all movies with the DTS soundtrack. DTS passthrough is never going to work - this has nothing to do with Emby. It does not work because LG stopped supporting DTS transcoding and passthrough after 2019 models. The hardware to make the passthrough possible is not included any longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...