Prevent HEVC transcoding possible?

glenn 1990

glenn 1990

Hi, 

Is it possible to prevent transcoding when the source material is HEVC/H265? 

Transcoding H264 material is fine for my server, but hevc is causing a cpu meltdown.

Hi, yes, simply play your content on devices that support h265 natively. What Emby app are you playing with?

glenn 1990

Hi, yes, simply play your content on devices that support h265 natively. What Emby app are you playing with?

Well, some of my devices can do h265 (shield tv or android phone), my rpi's can't. So a 'can not play' is better instead of stressing my server in a way that everyone's playback is affected.

Furthermore, my h265 content will be transcoded (low priority, slower than realtime) to low bitrate SD h264 with an external script. So users can choose between the Full HD h265 or the SD h264 version on playback start. However, users can accidentally select the h265 version on non h265 capable devices, transcoding will kick in and the whole server will lockup.

Deathsquirrel

Does a given user account consistently have access, or not, to a player that supports the format?  I'd move the content to its own library and only grant access to users that needed it but that requires me to ensure all the players used by a given user are compatible.

Well, some of my devices can do h265 (shield tv or android phone), my rpi's can't. So a 'can not play' is better instead of stressing my server in a way that everyone's playback is affected.

Furthermore, my h265 content will be transcoded (low priority, slower than realtime) to low bitrate SD h264 with an external script. So users can choose between the Full HD h265 or the SD h264 version on playback start. However, users can accidentally select the h265 version on non h265 capable devices, transcoding will kick in and the whole server will lockup.

Ok, based on this, your options are restricting user access to transcoding (making sure to read the warning about that), or just moving the content so that it's not available to those users.