IPhone app not connecting to server (but does connect via browser)

ErinDave

ErinDave

Hey folks,

Sorry if this topic is already covered in another thread.

I've just downloaded and installed Emby yesterday evening, a server on my windows computer and apps on my samsung device (android) and my wife's apple device (iphone).

We recently "cut the cord" on our internet and will be using Emby to stream from our computer to our phones at home through a router.

Everything was virtually seamless with installing, lots of really clear instructions, and really well designed server dashboard. The experience on my android device was equally seamless, connecting straight-forward, and I'm stoked at how usable and responsive the app is.

On the iphone, I'm having trouble connecting via the app, but I can connect by putting the server ip into a web browser. But the web version is slow to load pages and not a great user experience. After wifi hotspotting with the phone I was able to secure a connection to the server in the app, and I can see the list of movies and shows in the library. But when I click on a movie I see the movie description and options to play, etc., but no images load and clicking on the play button does nothing.

Any insight?

Thanks,

DC

Edited by ErinDave

ErinDave

Thanks for the quick reply Luke! Here are the steps that I remember following

1. I signed in using a common Emby user ID between both phones (perhaps its best to have two separate users set up?). This gave me the home server as an option to connect to.

2. But then had to connect phone to wifi (thereby disconnect phone from internet)

3. Then tried connecting to server by clicking on the home server option available.

I think this was a non-starter.

Then tested and realized the http://IP:PORT worked in the web browser, so i tested this in the app as well. So, rather than try to select the home server option I manually inputed IP address and port in the app. 

I believe this is what allowed me to connect to the server, which my home computer recognized as a connection, but with the problem mentioned in the original post of not being able to actually play any content.

but with the problem mentioned in the original post of not being able to actually play any content.

With safari we are not allowed to autoplay, so you have to first click our play button, then the play button in the safari video player once that comes up.

Then tried connecting to server by clicking on the home server option available.

What exactly happened?

ErinDave

With safari we are not allowed to autoplay, so you have to first click our play button, then the play button in the safari video player once that comes up.

I can play in the web browser. I'm referring to the app. Sorry if that wasnt clear

ErinDave

Correction! Sorry. I was trying to recall what happened while at the office. :P

I did connect via the app by clicking on the home server option. But it just took a long time of waiting for the spinning wheel.

Then, eventually the home screen does appear but it was slow to load content and only the first 'My Media' row really displayed anything.

I clicked on a library which did load the collection of movies. Clicking one movie, and I can see the play icon and text (e.g. movie description), but tapping the play icon does absolutely nothing

ErinDave

Here's the server log for today.

Steps taken:

1. Open emby app from iphone (failed. only black screen and spinning wheel after 3 minutes)

2. Restart emby app (still failed)

3. Restart iphone and open emby app (still failed)

4. Test emby app on android (worked. played a test movie)

5. Test http:// from iphone (worked. played the same test movie)

6. Open emby app from iphone. This time it worked.

7. Attempt to play the test movie. This took a very very long time for the app to react (phone went to sleep). When I woke phone up, I got the "unlock feature" prompt (screenshot attached) saying I need an active emby premiere subscription... to just play a movie.

Why is the iphone app so slow to respond, and why is it saying I need a premiere subscription when I don't?

embyserver.txt

post-382884-0-93086000-1543159141_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ErinDave

We haven't purchased any iOS unlock...

Is that even a requirement? I haven't seen anything yet suggesting purchasing an unlock is required (though I did happen upon a screen saying a premiere account was necessary).

At least, I should be able to stream 1 minute without unlocking, correct? I haven't been able to do even that.

I'd like the app to demonstrate that it actually works before I throw any money into it.