Fire HD Tablet App, "My Downloads" does not appear when offline

markle88

Volfan6415

I have it downloaded but I am not seeing any logging files generated on the device? Where am I supposed to be looking? I am using es file explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darrenkdean

Jumping in on this thread.  I have been using the offline sync on a 2016/2017 series Fire HD 8 for both my 4 year old son & for myself when I travel for 2-3 years now.  For Christmas, I bought my son the most current Fire HD 10 (2017 version) as he needed an upgrade for Osmo Studio (tablet learning games).

I factory reset my son's Fire HD 8 to give to his younger brother.  However, when I went to load Emby from the Amazon App Store, it is not available for the Fire HD 8 or his new Fire HD 10.  It would appear, that Emby is now only available on the new 2018 Fire HD 8.

As a starting place, I side loaded Google Play Store onto the tablet & downloaded Emby for Android.  Cool, except, under the download section, I can only specify internal storage or external storage.  I cannot specify the path.  As a result, when I choose External Storage, Emby acts as though it does not have write/access to the SD Card, even though it has the correct permissions listed for the app.  Download/sync function does not work.

The older Fire HD 8's & the current Fire HD, 10 are running Fire OS 5.3.6.4

As a possible workaround, I am currently using ES File Explorer to push Emby 2.8.93 (which was purchased I believe from the Amazon App Store some time ago) to the Fire HD 8 that I factory reset & the new Fire HD 10.  I can specify the offline sync path & suspect this will work (1st test running now).

What would it take to bring back support for these devices?  These tablets are effectively emby dedicated clients, serving no other purpose than portable child entertainment.

PS: New Server Interface/Features/Throttling on Emby Server 4+ is awesome!  Well done!

We are still looking into this, thanks.

darrenkdean

Update:  While not ideal, this solution worked, at least on the local area network (have not yet tested remote offline sync).  I woke up this morning & 100% of Peppa Pig had completed the offline sync to the 2016/2017 Fire HD 8 using Emby 2.8.93 (used to be available in the Amazon App Store).

This solution still requires the use of Kodi, to archive & playback the offline content, while Emby acts as the library manager keeping content up to date.  Had hoped to get to a 100% Emby Solution (don't even mind repurchasing the App from the App Store), but will work for the flights coming up later this week.  Happy to test anything if there are potential beta's out there.

Best-

Jumping in on this thread.  I have been using the offline sync on a 2016/2017 series Fire HD 8 for both my 4 year old son & for myself when I travel for 2-3 years now.  For Christmas, I bought my son the most current Fire HD 10 (2017 version) as he needed an upgrade for Osmo Studio (tablet learning games).

I factory reset my son's Fire HD 8 to give to his younger brother.  However, when I went to load Emby from the Amazon App Store, it is not available for the Fire HD 8 or his new Fire HD 10.  It would appear, that Emby is now only available on the new 2018 Fire HD 8.

As a starting place, I side loaded Google Play Store onto the tablet & downloaded Emby for Android.  Cool, except, under the download section, I can only specify internal storage or external storage.  I cannot specify the path.  As a result, when I choose External Storage, Emby acts as though it does not have write/access to the SD Card, even though it has the correct permissions listed for the app.  Download/sync function does not work.

The older Fire HD 8's & the current Fire HD, 10 are running Fire OS 5.3.6.4

As a possible workaround, I am currently using ES File Explorer to push Emby 2.8.93 (which was purchased I believe from the Amazon App Store some time ago) to the Fire HD 8 that I factory reset & the new Fire HD 10.  I can specify the offline sync path & suspect this will work (1st test running now).

What would it take to bring back support for these devices?  These tablets are effectively emby dedicated clients, serving no other purpose than portable child entertainment.

PS: New Server Interface/Features/Throttling on Emby Server 4+ is awesome!  Well done!

darrenkdean

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65464-fire-hd-tablet-app-my-downloads-does-not-appear-when-offline/page-2

Emby 2.8.93 which used to be available in the Amazon App store for older Fire HD tablets, still has functional offline synch.  If I understand the issue correctly, the new version of the Android App uses Android Download Manager which does not allow you to download directly to a an external Micro SD Card?  It's sitting at 0% transfer, because it can't write to the disk.  I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, since the older version still works fine (factory reset & tested it on two older Fire Tablets today).

If the developers will permit it, I'm happy to post an APK for the working version.  As it is their work product, it is important to support them, & it is an app I paid for the in the Amazon App Store (when it was available), I will not share it without permission from the developers.

I have the same exact problem with an Amazon Fire Gen 5 (Fire OS 5.6.3.0). Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks

Volfan6415

Hopeful that a solution will be found soon the tablet that we got our daughter for Christmas has basically been useless because we can only load movies onto the internal storage.

revengineer

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65464-fire-hd-tablet-app-my-downloads-does-not-appear-when-offline/page-2

Emby 2.8.93 which used to be available in the Amazon App store for older Fire HD tablets, still has functional offline synch.  If I understand the issue correctly, the new version of the Android App uses Android Download Manager which does not allow you to download directly to a an external Micro SD Card?  It's sitting at 0% transfer, because it can't write to the disk.  I'm not sure I fully understand the issue, since the older version still works fine (factory reset & tested it on two older Fire Tablets today).

If the developers will permit it, I'm happy to post an APK for the working version.  As it is their work product, it is important to support them, & it is an app I paid for the in the Amazon App Store (when it was available), I will not share it without permission from the developers.

2.9.90 works and is available on apkpure.com

Are you guys using emby server v4? I was using the Android app v2.9.x successfully with emby server v3 but since upgrading the server to v4, when trying to access a movie, I just get the spinning wheel and a partially populated page with no way to select play. So I lost my workaround for the pesky offline sync issue.

darrenkdean

Are you guys using emby server v4? I was using the Android app v2.9.x successfully with emby server v3 but since upgrading the server to v4, when trying to access a movie, I just get the spinning wheel and a partially populated page with no way to select play. So I lost my workaround for the pesky offline sync issue.

Yes, was running Server 4.0.0.1 & Empy App 2.8.93, no problems streaming content, & offline sync was working well, at least on the local network.  Did not test remote connections.

Update: Since updating to Server 4.0.0.2 this workaround no longer works.  Content that was in the middle of sync'ing during the update, made it to the tablet but is not accessible.  Further, any new content added to the offline sync que, will no longer transfer.

Incredibly frustrated as we leave for a trip in 36 hours & I have no way to get content for the kids tablet from the Emby Server to the kids Fire Tablets.

Volfan6415

Yeah it’s been this way for awhile hopefully they get a fix out soon as it seems there are several of us waiting on it.

extensive

i've honestly had issues with offline sync one way or another for quite sometime.  it is an extremely frustrating portion of the application that is not polished at all.

darrenkdean

Yes, was running Server 4.0.0.1 & Empy App 2.8.93, no problems streaming content, & offline sync was working well, at least on the local network.  Did not test remote connections.

Update: Since updating to Server 4.0.0.2 this workaround no longer works.  Content that was in the middle of sync'ing during the update, made it to the tablet but is not accessible.  Further, any new content added to the offline sync que, will no longer transfer.

Incredibly frustrated as we leave for a trip in 36 hours & I have no way to get content for the kids tablet from the Emby Server to the kids Fire Tablets.

Update, restarted the Emby Service. Removed the content that said it downloaded, but was not accessible & ran a 1 episode test.  It took some time, but ultimately did download to the tablet & was accessible.

What's interesting is that upon exploration in ES File Explorer, I had approximately 25 GB of usable TV Shows that had been downloaded to the tablet & 200+ GB of non usable content that had downloaded.  The non usable content had files that ended in *.chk.

Removing the "downloaded shows" from the Emby App, did not remove the files ending in *.chk.  After manually removing the space freed up.  Will run another test to see if I can get the content to sync.

5c49be64b761b_Screenshot_20190124081830.

darrenkdean

i've honestly had issues with offline sync one way or another for quite sometime.  it is an extremely frustrating portion of the application that is not polished at all.

I've been using it successfully with a 2016 Fire HD 8 for 2 years now.  Every week I grab it off the charger before a flight, & updated shows are on it.  We don't upgrade the server unless it addresses issues we are experiencing, so it could have been an older version of the server was working much better.  The kids tablets have worked great, & I have an implementation in the car using a MINIX NEO U9-H and an external SD drive as well.

With where we are today with offline sync, I have moved from a stable system, to a duct tape & super glue method to get offline sync partially working & not without issues.  The server upgrade made huge strides with Live TV, which is why we upgraded & I am very pleased overall with the upgrade.  I just really hope this is something we can work together with the developers on to find a solution for.  @@Luke

Edited by darrenkdean

extensive

local offline sync (my own wifi at house) usually works perfectly fine.  It is when users are remote is when it loses its mind.  anywho, not to digress, yes i hope we can work on this 1 issue and get it working back on fire os.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Volfan6415

I’ve had to switch to using the onboard storage as that’s the only sync that will work right now. It’s a real shame since I have a 128gb card that is essentially useless until this is fixed but at least there is some content on the device now.

I assume still no eta on a fix?