OT: Should I switch to Windows 8.1?

pmac

Windows 8.1 or 7?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I keep Windows 7, or make the switch to 8.1?

• Windows 7 all the way!
    • Once you get used to it, Windows 8.1 is the way to go.
    • What's Windows?
  2. 2. Which OS are you running?

• Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 8.1
    • Linux/Other
    • Don't own a computer...

pmac

Hi all,

Random question here, but I've been trying to decide recently if I should make the jump to Windows 8.1 or not.

I don't really have a good reason to, but I've been thinking about giving it a try. After doing some research on the subject, I haven't really found any compelling reason whether I should, or should not switch, so I thought I'd ask some fellow MediaBrowser's what their take was on the subject.

I don't want the cost of a new operating system to sway people's opinions either, this is just subject to people's preferences on the two OS's, and not whether it's worth the money to upgrade or not.

I only really want to hear from people with experience with both 7 and 8.1, and what their opinion is on why they like either one better.

- Currently I'm running WIndows 7 Home Premium x64

All I want to know is:

• Are there really any advantages I'll get from switching to 8.1?
  • Are there advantages to me staying with Windows 7?
  • Are there any trade-offs to switching from 7 to 8.1 and vise versa?
  • Which do you prefer, and why?

The computer in question is my main PC, which runs MBServer and MBT.

It's connected to the 65" TV in my living room, and is also used for 95% of my web-browsing, gaming, word processing, etc.

...Basically, pretend it's my only computer, and used for everything.

It's main use, however (+/-65% of the time); is for an HTPC

What I'd like to get from this thread is the majority of you telling me either: Yes, go to Windows 8.1, it's totally worth it! or NO! You're better off with Windows 7! and why you think this way.

Thanks! and sorry for the relatively long post, but I just can't decide on my own! haha.

Patrick

Edited by pmac

Deihmos

I think everyone should have bought Windows 8 when Microsoft was selling it cheap and includ d wmc for free. It isn't cheap anymore.

I prefer win 8.1 over win 7. I have moved all my computers to it.

I find windows 8 to be much faster. boots up in no time

included sync and backup features like onedrive integration

there are many nice windows 8 apps like vevo and Netflix

it looks better, The start screen is beautiful on an HDTV.

if you have a touch enabled device you have the best of both worlds

improved security

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 3

shaefurr

I dual booted my Windows 7 x64 with 8.1 x64 a while back thinking I would switch back since I wasnt a huge fan of the metro start screen. Needless to say I havnt been back on 7 even once. 

My sole reason for switching is 8.1 is its just a faster OS. The metro start screen is actually really useful once you start using it, and I actually prefer it now to the classic start menu, I mean its the same concept just a nice live metro interface to use it. I've had no problems with compatibility or anything else that I used on Windows 7.

So yeah id recommend it over 7 solely on the reason of it being faster, let alone the other features it has that 7 doesn't.

• Like 1

pmac

So far you guys are confirming what I figured. I've thought about trying a dual boot and installing something like Start8 or Classic Shell and running it for a while to see if I end up switching back or not

• Like 1

pmac

I've got a dual boot installed, how can I copy my watched status from my Win7 installation to my Win8 installation? I tried Trakt, but I guess I haven't been updating it, because it's watched statuses are way off... is there a file or anything somewhere that I can copy to my new installation? The only profile being Trakt'd is my personal one, but there are 3 other MB profiles in the house with no Trakt account.

trooper11

So far you guys are confirming what I figured. I've thought about trying a dual boot and installing something like Start8 or Classic Shell and running it for a while to see if I end up switching back or not

That's the best answer.  You can get opinions from many people, but trying it yourself is a much better idea.

That way you see it with your own eyes and have time to figure out how it all works before deciding.

pmac

Yeah that makes the most sense to me. I'd still like to hear other people's opinions though! And I'd really like to know how to migrate my watched statuses from all the users on my Win7 Server install :)

I run 8.1 on my server but still have 7 on both my main desktop and htpcs.

The reason I still have 7 on the HTPCs is because the only thing they run is MBC so I never see the windows interface and there is no reason for me to shell out extra $$ for WMC or a new OS for them.

The reason I still have 7 on my desktop is because the interface paradigm simply does not work for me as I have at least 15 applications going on four separate monitors at all times.  I don't go to a "start screen" and I don't want a full-screen menu taking up one of my entire monitors.  I have a nice, small toolbar that gives me access to everything I need without taking any screen real estate.

I know I could mimic this environment in 8.1 desktop mode but there just hasn't been a compelling reason for me to take the pain of upgrading my main machine since everything works fine and lays out just how I want it right now.  I'm sure I will upgrade it eventually though.  Although, again, I'll have to shell out money for both the OS and WMC so I may not do it until MBC is retired.

I do like the Win 8 interface for a touch device though (and that would probably also translate to a full-featured htpc).  I think they did a great job with it but, unfortunately, the surface or other windows tablets simply cannot compete with iOS or Android for value and apps.  My Surface was a bad purchase and I see those probably ultimately failing for MS.  The hardware is too expensive and too crippled.

gcoupe

I think that many tech-savvy users dismiss the Surface RT and Surface 2 devices rather too readily. According to this sampling done by AdDuplex last month, Windows RT machines (Surface RT and Surface 2) make up around 16% of the Windows 8 systems out there, and around 90% of all Surface machines sold. 

It's interesting to see that Microsoft is now also just behind HP, which is currently the leading OEM.

I think that many tech-savvy users dismiss the Surface RT and Surface 2 devices rather too readily. According to this sampling done by AdDuplex last month, Windows RT machines (Surface RT and Surface 2) make up around 16% of the Windows 8 systems out there, and around 90% of all Surface machines sold. 

It's interesting to see that Microsoft is now also just behind HP, which is currently the leading OEM.

I didn't dismiss mine readily but quickly came to not like it much.  I loved my Surface 2 when I first got it because I liked the form factor, build quality and the interface.  However, the fact that every time the machine updates I am locked out of it by bitlocker and am forced to go and find and then type in a 48 digit number just to access it again has soured me on it.

On top of that, there just are nothing like the apps available on the other platforms - if you are using it as a tablet.  If you are using it like a computer, then it can compete much better, but I already have a very fast and light ultrabook that works better as a computer so I don't want it for that.

Now, the latest debacle is that the battery won't charge rendering it a brick for tablet use.

Edit - Sorry for the hijack.  This isn't really relevant to the question at hand.  I got the surface just to test the 8.1 MB app and it works fine for that.  And, when we get local syncing of content, it will be truly useful as a media device for the plane.

gcoupe

However, the fact that every time the machine updates I am locked out of it by bitlocker and am forced to go and find and then type in a 48 digit number just to access it again has soured me on it.

Apologies for continuing the hijack, but - I thought this bitlocker issue had been fixed?

trooper11

Now, the latest debacle is that the battery won't charge rendering it a brick for tablet use.

that sucks, I assume it was past the warranty period when this started? 

I'm still using the original Surface RT and luckily the battery hasn't given out yet.  The only issue I have with it is performance.  Its pretty old hardware now and I would very much appreciate an upgrade.  I'm waiting to see what the Surface 3 might offer.  Hopefully MS can keep encouraging app market growth thanks to the universal app push.

pmac

Sooo... That was short lived.. I played with it a bit, installed classic shell to try it with a classic Start Menu. I think it was nice and fast, but I didn't see anything in there to convince me it was worth migrating all my files and programs to.

It didn't seem like I would be gaining anything by switching to Win8.1, so I deleted the partition, and I'm back to Win7.

Next time I decide to reformat my PC I may give it another shot, but for now I think I'll stick to Win7 (Yes, I know... there's probably a bunch of you shaking your heads, saying I didn't give it enough time), but from the time I did spend on it. It seemed basically the same as Windows 7, with a few minor changes (I used the Start screen a bit, and it's nice, but not enough to justify me migrating all my files/applications into Windows 8).

If I were to buy a new PC with Windows 8 pre-installed, I would be fine with it (I didn't dislike Win8, I just didn't notice anything that I would benefit from), and probably stick with it. But since my PC is set up really nice right now with Windows 7, that's what I'm gonna stick with for now.

After trying MB3 in Windows 8, I'd still really like to know if there's a "Non-Trakt" way to migrate watched status from another PC, and I'm sure there's lots of others that would like to know as well. (I'm assuming there's a file/files somewhere that this data is stored in)

Thanks!

• Like 1