"real time monitoring" sometimes doesn't work

Juan Simón

Juan Simón
Arch Linux
emby server 3.5.3.0
filesystem ext4

The server detects when I delete a file but it doesn't detect if I move a file outside of library folder.

I have to force a rescan to detect the changes.

Edited by Juan Simón
  • Like 1

nicheplayer

I have the same — or at least a similiar — issue. New install of Emby server 3.5.3.0 on Ubuntu 18.04, ext4 filesystem. SAB drops a folder in my movies directory, which I confirm via command line. A manual sync via the Emby app in Kodi (17.6 ) on LibreELEC 8.2.5 doesn’t turn up the new movie. Only thing that surfaces the file in the Kodi interface is a manual library scan done via the Emby server dashboard.

Edited by nicheplayer

I have the same — or at least a similiar — issue. New install of Emby server 3.5.3.0 on Ubuntu 18.04, ext4 filesystem. SAB drops a folder in my movies directory, which I confirm via command line. A manual sync via the Emby app in Kodi (17.6 ) on LibreELEC 8.2.5 doesn’t turn up the new movie. Only thing that surfaces the file in the Kodi interface is a manual library scan done via the Emby server dashboard.

Please make sure to be patient and give it a few minutes. If it still doesn't show up in the Emby web app, please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

• Like 1

nicheplayer

Please make sure to be patient and give it a few minutes. If it still doesn't show up in the Emby web app, please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

I added a new file to my movies directory at 1:11 central time (US) today. User on the local server is emby. I'm attaching my log file here. Thanks for taking a look!

Log.txt

nicheplayer

Can you enable debug logging under logging, restart the server, and then repeat the test? thanks.

Please see attached. And thank you again.

Log_debug.txt

Edited by nicheplayer

Some kind of error thrown by the netcore runtime:

2018-11-19 00:27:26.506 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /home/nicheplayer007/movies
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.5.3.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.20
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 2
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/home/nicheplayer007/movies/Mandy.2018.720p.BluRay.DTS.X264.2-CMRG-Obfuscated' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException
	No Stack Trace Available
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException
	System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

Not sure what's going on there, I would try again with the next release. Thanks.

• Like 1

Juan Simón

I have moved 3 file moves from `/multimedia/Transmission/pelis` (one of folders monitored by emby) to another folder (not monitored). I've waited several minutes, but the films remain on the dashboard.

This is the real file list of that folder now:

$ ls /multimedia/Transmission/pelis
'Cam (2018) [WEB-DL NF 1080p h264 Dual DD 5.1 Sub].mkv'
'Indignation (Indignación) (2016) [BDRip 1080p x264 Dual DD 5.1 Sub].mkv'
'La balada de Buster Scruggs (2018) [WEB-DL NF 1080p h264 Dual DD 5.1 Sub].mkv'
'La sombra de la ley (2018) [WEB-DL NF 1080p h264 DD - DD+ 5.1 Sub].mkv'
'Las grietas de Jara (2017) [WEB-DL NF 1080p h264 DD 5.1 Sub].mkv'
'The Great Buddha+ (2017) [BDRip 1080p x264 AC3 5.1 VOSE].mkv'

And this is the emby dashboard:

5bf2bf8dbcd33_captura_20181119_144314.pn

The 3 highlighted films are the ones that are no longer in the library.

I have read the emby server log and I see the next lines:

2018-11-19 14:29:52.729 Debug LibraryMonitor: New file refresher created for /multimedia/Transmission/pelis/El mejor verano de mi vida (2018) [BDRemux 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1 Subs].mkv
2018-11-19 14:29:52.732 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /multimedia/Transmission/pelis
    *** Error Report ***
    Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
    Operating system: Unix 4.19.2.1
    Processor count: 8
    Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file '/multimedia/Transmission/pelis/El mejor verano de mi vida (2018) [BDRemux 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1 Subs].mkv__rB9tdJ'.
    File name: '/multimedia/Transmission/pelis/El mejor verano de mi vida (2018) [BDRemux 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1 Subs].mkv__rB9tdJ'
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException
    No Stack Trace Available

2018-11-19 14:29:52.734 Info LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path /multimedia/Transmission/pelis

The 'El mejor verano de mi vida (2018) [bDRemux 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA 5.1 Subs].mkv' file was moved before too. 

It seems that emby stops the monitoring process after an error and does not process any other changes.

embyserver.txt

Juan Simón

Today it failed after I delete a file:

2018-11-26 15:47:11.344 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /multimedia/Transmission/pelis
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /usr/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.19.2.1
	Processor count: 8
	Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/multimedia/Transmission/pelis/Cam (2018) [WEB-DL NF 1080p h264 Dual DD 5.1 Sub][GrupoHDS].mkv__ix75jo' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException
	No Stack Trace Available
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException
	System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

2018-11-26 15:47:11.345 Info LibraryMonitor: Stopping directory watching for path /multimedia/Transmission/pelis

It tries to access a file that no longer exists, generates an exception and paralyzes the monitoring process for that folder. Does that make sense in a process that precisely has to monitor new/modified/deleted files?

I think developers should take note of this and take a good look at it.