Jerky even with playback correction in Emby Beta, works fine in BNN

step55

I tried to play a file with Emby Beta on a Roku Streaming Stick+ and it was extremely jerky. None of the playback correction options fixed the problem. Using the BNN option to force transcode without stream copy seemed to be the only solution, but BNN's leaving soon :(

I'm guessing this is some kind of framerate issue?

File had a framerate of 50 fps.
Refresh rate switching in the Roku settings menu was set to on.
BNN max framerate option was set to 30

Server and transcode logs attached. See below for more info.

Playback correction logs from Emby Beta. All were jerky.
ffmpeg-directstream-6c678e18-a862-4eae-9015-cd4c4665bd35.txt
ffmpeg-directstream-559efc07-7a65-4b37-928b-c4d06a68d33f.txt
ffmpeg-directstream-018b3a63-b032-435e-916e-c5e383006882.txt
ffmpeg-directstream-05610204-5d14-427b-9485-6e4a96950203.txt

Logs from BNN:
This log was from pushing play with whatever option was the default. Not jerky. Status said transcoding due to framerate
ffmpeg-transcode-5aad8b95-8dd2-4f64-b60e-93f9c0680dd3.txt

Force transcode - jerky
ffmpeg-directstream-4ac2ba0b-c842-46b3-a5a0-7efcba769054.txt

Force transcode w/o stream copy. Not jerky.
ffmpeg-transcode-69eb3020-7108-4852-aa06-6e1fc8e4047c.txt

Thanks

embylogs.zip

How many times did you use the Playback Correction button? You can use it multiple times and eventually it will get to forced transcoding. If you get to forced transcoding and attempt to use the Playback Correction button again it will not be shown on the playback menu.

You can also use the Resolution/Quality menu and force a transcode. You just have to get the bitrate below what the items bitrate is and it will use the resolution and bitrate you chose to transcode it.

Edited by speechles

I went through 4 cycles of playback correction until the option no longer showed up (logs attached in first post). None of them resolved the issue.

Happy2Play

I have seen the same.  Personally clicking the correction button multiple times is a pain and you have no idea what it is actually doing.  Lately I have just been changing the Resolution to a lower bitrate to force Transcoding.

Personally there should be just a Force transcoding option to maintain resolution and bitrate.

I have seen the same. Personally clicking the correction button multiple times is a pain and you have no idea what it is actually doing. Lately I have just been changing the Resolution to a lower bitrate to force Transcoding.

Personally there should be just a Force transcoding option to maintain resolution and bitrate.

Originally that's what my Playback Correction was would just force transcoding.

I was told to use the error fallback and just simulate an error and let the app natively recover using its next playback method.

I see how using it repeatedly is annoying which is why I just wanted it to force transcoding, but you need real world tests to give you feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

Originally that's what my Playback Correction was would just force transcoding.

I was told to use the error fallback and just simulate an error and let the app natively recover using its next playback method.

I see how using it repeatedly is annoying which is why I just wanted it to force transcoding, but you need real world tests to give you feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Could Playback Correction be a menu of the options that the button does so we can just do the fix we want?  Instead of the unknown button click actions.

Based on every one of his ffmpeg logs being a direct stream, it doesn't look like the playback correction (or maybe even the error fallback) is working as designed...

AllowVideoStreamCopy: false

^--- This

It isn't having an effect. Until you get on the Beta 3.6.x branch. Then we can allowDirect = false and get that working correctly.

The issue: The app knows it can only transcode to h264 during a full transcode. It has to tell the server only "h264" in passable codecs. I was using the ",h264" to fool the server into thinking it can pass. The comma at front creates an empty spot in front. Now it will know it can support h264 but will be forced to transcode it since its the 2nd codec in the list. This worked but could change at any moment was a "loophole" that could close without warning. We adapted to the above. 

Edited by speechles