Newest update refuses to connect

erikblues
Go to solution Solved by erikblues,

erikblues

Hi guys,

after the latest update (3.5.3.0-18) I have lost access to my emby server through all sources:

- external WAN access

- internal LAN access

The synology interface is still working, and the UpnP port forwarding rule is still listed in the router.

Also, when I go into synology web interface and open the Emby settings it says "weitenau.jungsys.com.br unexpectedly closed the connection.".

Did anyone else experience this issue? Any idea what might be causing this?

EDIT: Just tried again, and now it says "Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly."

I will let you know if this is solved automatically in a bit, but I will keep this here in case someone else stumbles onto the same problem.

Edited by erikblues

erikblues
solabc16

Hello @@erikblues

Please can you run the diagnostics and send logs utilities, details below:-

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Whilst coincidental, I don't believe this is related to the release.

Best

- James

erikblues

Hi guys,

I have been unable to connect over SSH to the server because I am currently traveling and have left that access disabled for security reasons...

In the meantimg, what I found out:

1. Plex was interfering with Emby somehow (not enough CPU?). Once I uninstalled Plex and restarted the services, things have calmed down and the server got a bit more responsive

2. When Emby does the "scheduled converting" together with the scheduled "Cloud & Folder Sync" activity, the Disk usage goes up to 98-100%, the server gets unresponsive and none of the tasks is able to complete.

3. I have now disabled all scheduled tasks, restarted the server and left only the converting activity turned on. Now the disk usage seems to be normal and the server is responding ok. It still takes a bit longer to respond than when the converting is not happening, but I guess that is normal (about 10-20s to load the emby dashboard)

I will leave this uninterrupted converting activity going, and see if it is now able to finish without any issues.

If the server gets unresponsive again, I will get those diagnostic logs and send them to you. At the moment, I think it was being caused by the updates and not enough CPU power to handle the concurrent tasks and might not be a server error. It is a Synology DS415play so CPU is an issue sometimes.

Let me know if you still want the logs nevertheless, but I think this might have been a hardware issue.

Edited by erikblues

erikblues

@@solabc16, finally got it. Sent the logs just now, and made sure to have the "converting" on while doing it.

Upload completed successfully, please include this filename with your ticket... 

sendlogs_Weitenau_synology_evansport_415play_20181121T183640UTC.tgz 

PS: server unresponsive again. Eating up lots of RAM and never going over 0.2% conversion. At 0.2% it starts to get slow and unresponsive.

Hello @@erikblues

Thanks for the update, the logs would still be useful (whenever you get a chance), so we can make sure everything is working as expected.

Best

- James

Edited by erikblues

solabc16

Hello @@erikblues

Thanks for the logs, I've taken a look through them and the system itself appears to be operating well.

Without h/w support for transcoding , the software implementation will max out the CPU resource.

You can see at the frame rates reported, it will keep the system resources busy for a significant time.

Here's a section from the log...

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> h264 (libx264))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (flac (native) -> aac (native))

frame=   50 fps=1.7 q=20.0 size=     512kB time=00:00:02.06 bitrate=2030.6kbits/s speed=0.0713x    
frame=   52 fps=1.7 q=19.0 size=     512kB time=00:00:02.06 bitrate=2030.6kbits/s speed=0.0691x    
frame=   54 fps=1.8 q=18.0 size=     768kB time=00:00:02.06 bitrate=3045.8kbits/s speed=0.0677x    
frame=   54 fps=1.7 q=18.0 size=     768kB time=00:00:02.15 bitrate=2914.8kbits/s speed=0.0689x    
frame=   57 fps=1.8 q=20.0 size=     768kB time=00:00:02.50 bitrate=2509.1kbits/s speed=0.0783x    

Best

- James

erikblues

The issue is that the server stops responding. 3-10 minutes to load the dashboard or homescreen and playing any file is impossible.

Also, I am not doing any transcoding, only conversion. As soon as the conversion starts, the server gets extremely unresponsive.

CPU usage never goes over 20%, usually in the 3-5% range, so I thought it was using HW-transcoding. If not, there is something else going wrong.

The issue I am experiencing, is that I am unable to convert anything. When I select a file through the interface and select "convert", it never starts doing anything. It also doesn't show up in the dashboard.

But when I use the "convert media" scheduler at startup, it starts normally and shows in the dashboard, but then it goes up to 0.2% and never passes that mark. I end up interrupting it, since the whole server stops working as long as the task is enabled.

Is it normal that CPU usage is so low? Is my server using hardware transcoding or not?

And is it normal that I can't manually select a file in the library and "convert" it? When I try to convert a whole season, it doesn't even "close" the window. I click on the green "convert"button nothing happens, the window doesn't even close, just stays there ignoring that I clicked the convert button.

And I'm facing issues where it sometimes takes forever to load an item's in the library. 

It just feels like on this new version something is "stuck".

solabc16

Hello @@erikblues

Your system is transcoding, if you look under Dashboard -> Expert -> Logs you should see a number of files starting ffmpeg-transcode-*.

Some examples attached.

Stream mapping:

Stream mapping:

Stream mapping:
In all cases it appears the transcoding is necessary because of the need to convert FLAC audio to AAC; there is no h/w transcoding support for this on any Synology model.

When this is happening, can you grab a screenshot of DSM's Resource Monitor?

Best
- James

ffmpeg-transcode-fa23a4ab-40b9-4220-ba54-e33ce001107a.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ce06564b-88da-4e4a-8548-916b810c653c.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ca4f4182-957a-4e16-ab12-672deac0ef6b.txt

Edited by solabc16

erikblues

Transcoding / conversion - somewhat interchangeable in this context.

Oh, ok :)

I changed the setting "Transcoding Thread Count" to "1" and I'm testing again, to see if this way the system responds better this way. I don't mind if it takes a month to complete the transcoding, as long as the rest of the server is running smoothly.

erikblues

When this is happening, can you grab a screenshot of DSM's Resource Monitor?

Left it running for an hour. It is still at 0.0%.

5bf6d249af141_ScreenShot20181122at165827

erikblues

Yes, "enable full speed conversion" was enabled, but the CPU usage never goes up enough.

BTW: It is very weird that "conversion and transcoding is the same" but there are 2 different places in the menu to change it's settings.

I have lot's of sync tasks listed in this menu option. When I click on "remove" it asks me "do you wish to remove this download?"

Will this delete the files or delete the task?

This part of the menu is a bit confusing.

It's a generic menu designed for both features. It's something that we need to improve, but in this case, remove download means canceling the conversion job.

erikblues

I can't even remove the files from the sync list. It just keeps loading forever and never finishes.

The server is VERY VERY unresponsive. I don't know what's happening:

EDIT: all conversion jobs are disabled. The server is idle and still takes forever.

EDIT2: it's still loading. Then I have to refresh the whole page, which also takes forever, and do it again. I will run some tests internally, maybe the router is lagging or something like that.

5bf837a7c8146_ScreenShot20181123at182256

Edited by erikblues