App Purchase Cost

dchaosblade

dchaosblade

So, I notice that when looking at the iOS and Android mobile apps the Android app costs $4.53 to purchase and the iOS app is free.

I'm curious about a couple of things regarding these prices:

• Where did the $4.53 price for the Android app come from?  This seems like an odd number to choose, is there a reason behind it?
  • Why is the iOS app free but the Android app not?  Any reason why they either are both free or both have a cost?

I still intend to buy the Android app (my iPad doesn't support iOS 7 and I don't intend to pay the $700 for a new one any time soon), and I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for the app regardless platform, but the price discrepancy bothers me a little...

Redshirt

Two answers :)

• The reason the price is odd for you is that it's set to $5 in my local currency (CAD) and converted to whatever in all the other currencies that Google Play supports.
  • I'm not going to go into the specifics of why the iOS dev chose to not charge for his app, because it's not my place. That same dev is actively working on a version 2 of his app that will have a tablet friendly UI and that will not be free.

dchaosblade

• The reason the price is odd for you is that it's set to $5 in my local currency (CAD) and converted to whatever in all the other currencies that Google Play supports.
  • I'm not going to go into the specifics of why the iOS dev chose to not charge for his app, because it's not my place. That same dev is actively working on a version 2 of his app that will have a tablet friendly UI and that will not be free.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I hadn't even considered currency conversion for the price.  I have one last question, if you don't mind.  Where does the money from the app store purchases go?  Do you (I'm assuming based on the post that you're the android dev) take all earnings or are they used by the uh...Media Browser 3 'group' (for maintenance, upkeep, etc)?  A combination thereof?  This only comes up since, based on what you said, it sounds like each dev chose the prices on their app stores independently.

Edited by dchaosblade

AgileHumor

Each Dev sets his or her own price.  All money goes to the devs to my knowledge for the clients they write for upkeep of that client.

• 2 weeks later...
raidscsi

While I thought the price of the app was a bit high, I purchased anyway. If it did not crash/lockup as much it would be worth $5 without issue. I have posted other topics about my issues. Interesting to know that the components of MB3 are developed independently of each other? seems rather odd.

Vidman

While I thought the price of the app was a bit high, I purchased anyway. If it did not crash/lockup as much it would be worth $5 without issue. I have posted other topics about my issues. Interesting to know that the components of MB3 are developed independently of each other? seems rather odd.

why is that odd? That is the way open source software is developed Edited by Vidman

Koleckai Silvestri

I have purchased both the Google Play version and the Amazon Fire version of the apps. Will buy the new iOS version when it comes out. If the price bothers you, they go on sale occasionally. The price is minor compared to the freedom that MediaBrowser gives in accessing your media

If you want to support the project in general, consider becoming a supporter in the server dashboard.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 3

swhitmore

While I thought the price of the app was a bit high, I purchased anyway.

Trust me, the devs here don't do it for the money. The massive amount of time spent getting these apps to you would be less than the wage of a sweatshop worker in China. Also don't forget, that small amount of money you pay also includes free updates. I'm not an Android user, but I know Red has constantly been improving his app to include things like Chromecast, Live TV support etc. $5 is less than the cost of a beer (and Google takes some of that beer too).

I personally think the devs should be charging more for what they do.

• Like 1

Starkadius

I am not an Android user either but I still purchased the Google Play store MB app some months ago using Bluestacks. Well today I decided to go ahead and purchase the Amazon appstore version of the app too. I have no problem with developers choosing to charge for their plugins/apps. If they wish to do it for free then awesome, I will simply find other ways to contribute to the project. If they want to charge for it then it is certainly well deserved since they are still charging too little for the amount of work put into it. Just my opinion.

535dccb5cdd5e_12.jpg

• Like 6

Redshirt

The majority of the users on (and off) the forum have been awesome. Very supportive and positive regarding my efforts, even when the client gives them issues. I refuse to let the minority who say "You're charging too much" sour my experience. Those users typically will never understand or appreciate the fact that all the dev's have day jobs and do this in their free time, rather than doing the fun stuff we all take for granted.

and seriously, anyone who thinks we're getting rich of our app sales doesn't understand the reality of Android app sales.

• Like 2

I've bought all the apps and pretty much only use the wp one... I'm by no means well off either. The time devs put in is surely worth a couple of quid????

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Spaceboy

live tv support? when did that happen?

personally i find the android app to be excellent, never had any stability problems

swhitmore

live tv support? when did that happen?

personally i find the android app to be excellent, never had any stability problems

That would be my fault. I thought I remember seeing it added, but it may still be in development.

Koleckai Silvestri

All apps are currently on sale for 99 cents. Spread the word and stock up for all your devices.

• Like 1