XPEnology Users - What loaders are you currently using?

solabc16

solabc16

Hello All

If you've been following the XPEnology support threads closely, you'll know that we work hard to make sure you get a great experience with Emby Server on this platform.

You're also likely aware there are a number of loaders available now, when we started there was only one and that was based on DSM 5.2.

Please can you drop us a line here and let us know what loaders you are currently running with, so we can look at how best to develop and optimise the Emby Server package going forward.

Best

- James

RobsterUK

Hey James,

Surprised no-one else has replied to this yet!

I am still using the same platform as when the Synology/XPEnology isntallation came out of beta.

Using boot loader 5.2-5967 & DSM Version 5.2-5967 Update 6

Plan on sticking with this for a while.

Everything is working well & I see no reason to upset the apple cart and upgrade the bootloader & DSM version any time soon.

Thanks for your continued effort in developing the platform ;)

solabc16

Hi @@RobsterUK

People only tend to come here when something is broken, so it was probably a little hopeful to expect to much immediate traction!

One of the test systems here is also based on that loader. It was one of the reasons for asking, to see whether we need to continue support for DSM 5.2.

It does work well as a foundation for running a system such as Emby Server, so as you say no real need to 'upset the apple cart'.

I've seen mixed feedback on users getting h/w transcoding working with the more recent loaders, and I see 1.04b has updated GPU support. If this starts to work reliably, I can see that being a significant driver for users to explore switching to a new loader.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

RobsterUK

GPU H/W transcoding! That would be a big enough reason to try and upgrade.

Will pop over to the XPENo forums and check out what's going on there.

Emby is the most frequently used (practically daily) function of my XPENo NAS.

Which is partly why I haven't upgraded Emby server or thought about upgrading the boot loader.

I plan to be sticking with the current boot loader for a while yet. So if you could continue support for this version it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

solabc16

Hello @@RobsterUK

No problem at all, it shouldn't be too difficult to keep the compatibility layer we put in working reasonably sensibly.

There'll just be a bit of work to do around Package Center behaviours.

I've till got a DSM 5 system here, so I'll be able to give it a reasonable run out.

Best

- James

• 1 month later...
WiteWulf

Hi there, just testing out Emby at the moment as a replacement for Plex and liking what I see (mostly) so far!

I'm running DSM 6.2-23739U2 on an HP Gen8 Microserver, baremetal, with 4GB of RAM and the stock G1610T CPU (2.3GHz Celeron) and Jun's 1.03b loader for DS3615xs.

I was so pleased to see the specific support for XPEnology users and hope it's maintained into the new Emby Server 4.0 release.

solabc16

Hi @@WiteWulf

Thanks for getting in touch and the feedback, any problems or questions, don't hesitate to ask.

When Emby Server 4.0 is released, both Synology and XPEnology based systems will be supported from day #1.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hi @@WiteWulf

...I should also have added, the best custom package for your G1610T at this time, would be the 'sandybridge' package.

We may add an 'ivybridge' optimised package in the future, if there is sufficient demand.

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Custom-Package-Architectures-for-XPEnology

Best

- James

WiteWulf

Hi @@WiteWulf

...I should also have added, the best custom package for your G1610T at this time, would be the 'sandybridge' package.

Thanks James, I'd been using the Core2 package.

Is there any way to change the package without uninstalling and reinstalling? I'd rather not lose my settings and library database. With other Synology packages it's a simple matter of downloading the package itself and doing a manual install, but there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for downloading those package files for Emby beyond the using the repo within Synology's package manager.

solabc16

Hi @@WiteWulf

If you change your package source now, when the next update comes out it will install the package best optimised for your processor.

Simple as that :)

Best

- James

WiteWulf

Thought that would be the case, was just wondering if I could force it, non-destructively, before the update. Thanks for the reply, tho

WiteWulf

Okaaaay, I updated the repo URL to point to the sandybridge package, updated, and now it won't start.

I seem to recall having this when I first started trying Emby and could only get Core2 to work.

So, back to my previous question: can I download the package and install it manually so I don't blow my database away, please?  :D

Diagnostic output:

* removed - solabc16 *

Edited by solabc16

WiteWulf

Done: "sendlogs_diskstation_synology_bromolow_3615xs_20190116T102225UTC.tgz"

As I say, I could only get it working previously with the Core2 build. Having the documentation, though, I would agree that a Sandybridge build should work this architecture.

Edited by WiteWulf

solabc16

Hello @@WiteWulf

No problem, glad we got that sorted quickly.

Now the latest stable has been released, I'm going to pick up an item on my whiteboard - which is to add a wiki package listing the optimal package architecture for processors that we've come across whilst working with users in the community.

This should help reduce the 'guesswork' a little further.

Best

- James

• 1 month later...
MardukNT

Hope this helps.

I'm using Jun's Loader 1.03b with DS3617xs image. (See HERE) Running DSM v6.2.1-23824 Update 6 (See HERE).

I've installed the XPEnology Emby Server from (HERE) and after running Version 4.0.2.0 for a week, there are no issues to report. Everything's working like a champ.

This is all running on a bare metal Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 Tiny, sporting a 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6500T (Skylake) Processor (@2.50GHz) (See HERE for full Specs).

It comes with 8GB RAM and I swapped in a 500GB Samsung SSD.  I also own a Synology DS412+ (w/4 3TB WD Reds) providing all the storage remotely via CIFS over a bonded connection (See HERE and HERE).

There were a few hiccups along the way (due to there being a learning curve for XPEnology), but I can honestly say it all works great now.

The question I have is; Am I running the best build of Emby for my hardware?

Thanks for all your dedication to the development of this program.

--Cheers!

MardukNT

Edited by MardukNT

solabc16

Hello @@MardukNT

Thanks for taking the time to post the above, appreciated.

The default package for XPEnology systems you will have seen on the main page (https://emby.media/nas-server.html) - so that would indeed be your starting point.

e.g.

https://synology.emby.media/?package_repository=360efc6e-de72-4073-b603-2bfbd7001586

However, there are processor optimised packages available, which are discussed here and here.

At this time, the 'haswell' package would be the best match for your system - as the XPEnology user base grows, we're adding more architectures, so it's likely 'skylake' will make an appearance soon.

Best

- James

Hi @@WiteWulf

We may add an 'ivybridge' optimised package in the future, if there is sufficient demand.

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Custom-Package-Architectures-for-XPEnology

Best

- James

Is the G2120T the best choice for the 'sandybridge' package?

solabc16

Hello @@fyngd

The G2120T is also based on the 'ivybridge' architecture, so yes -  the 'sandybridge' package would be the best match at this time.

Best

- James

Hello @@fyngd

The G2120T is also based on the 'ivybridge' architecture, so yes -  the 'sandybridge' package would be the best match at this time.

Best

- James

thank you very much!

MardukNT

OK, I've looked around the forums before asking. Unfortunately I've not seen a good explanation on how to check what flavor of Ebmy Server is installed.
I can locate build info, but what is the proper way to confirm it's running say, the Haswell build over the generic build, if I may ask?

When I started playing around with Embry, I used https://synology.emby.media/?package_repository=360efc6e-de72-4073-b603-2bfbd7001586 and that build installs and works fine.
But I was advised that the Haswell build would better suited to my hardware.

Since this is a test box, I decided to go ahead and factory reset DSM and start from scratch.

This time, I put into Package Center https://synology.emby.media/?package_repository=360efc6e-de72-4073-b603-2bfbd7001586&package_architecture=xpen-haswell and installed Emby Server like before.

Now, everything appears to be working, but I cannot tell from looking at the logs if I'm actually running on the Haswell optimized build.  What is the proper way to check on that?

solabc16

Hello @@MardukNT

If Package Center offered you the package and you were able to install, then you can be reasonably sure you configured the URL correctly.

However, if you want to double check, you can do the following from an SSH session:-

cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/conf/spkid

Best

- James