Questions about Podcasts

EmbyShare

EmbyShare

I've been looking around and short of paying for a month of premium I can't really find information on how Podcasts work in Emby.
There are plenty of articles that mention it is a feature but not a review.

-Does the Podcast feature offline sync or only stream to a device, say like AntennaPod (Android Open Source) or gPodder (Linux/Windows Open Source)?

--Specifically, looking for just my phone, don't mind a local stream while at home or an Internet stream from other devices.

-Is there play position syncing, ie if I stop playing from my phone in the car will I be able to resume from a different device, say a desktop?

Edited by EmbyShare

• 2 weeks later...
kanipek

I've been looking around and short of paying for a month of premium I can't really find information on how Podcasts work in Emby.

There are plenty of articles that mention it is a feature but not a review.

-Does the Podcast feature offline sync or only stream to a device, say like AntennaPod (Android Open Source) or gPodder (Linux/Windows Open Source)?

--Specifically, looking for just my phone, don't mind a local stream while at home or an Internet stream from other devices.

-Is there play position syncing, ie if I stop playing from my phone in the car will I be able to resume from a different device, say a desktop?

I have not played with it much.

It is a plugin that requires you to be a supporter. It does have a download and sync to device option.

I have played with the download function on a PC doesn't seem to work as I expect it to - fails when I try it. The Sync function does seem to work fine (syncing from my PC to phone), syncing to my phone without issue. Playing a synced podcast as I type. Sync seems to work fine directly from the phone as well.

Does not seem to have a resume function, at least not that I can see.

Hope that helps you.

Is there play position syncing, ie if I stop playing from my phone in the car will I be able to resume from a different device, say a desktop?

Hi! Yes this is supported.

Does the Podcast feature offline sync or only stream to a device,

I believe the menu will allow you to try to download a podcast, but admittedly this hasn't been fully tested yet.

kanipek

Hi! Yes this is supported.

That is good to hear. Can you explain how to do this? I can't find it anywhere - No resume button or option that I can find/

Thanks

EmbyShare

Awesome, thank you both, mostly good news then :)

I believe the menu will allow you to try to download a podcast, but admittedly this hasn't been fully tested yet.

Just so I'm clear on this, does that mean I can set it to automatically download to a device or would I want to manually do this for each podcast (either subscription or episode) before I leave my WiFi (to my phone)?

You'd have to manually do it. Or I suppose you could do it at a folder level, but again, we haven't yet fully tested the download feature with internet channel content.

Jdiesel

I listen to a lot of podcasts and prefer to use a standalone app for them. No offense to Emby but PocketCasts just does a much better job.

If your podcast needs are very basic the Emby plugin should work for you, but if you want to discover and download new podcasts from the app, auto download new episodes, and have advances skip features PocketCast is the way to go.

EmbyShare

You'd have to manually do it. Or I suppose you could do it at a folder level, but again, we haven't yet fully tested the download feature with internet channel content.

Thank you for the honesty. I was about to buy a month of premium to fully test. I've been looking for a good podcast app with multi-platform support and play position sync for a while now.

Sounds like Emby is about 90% there, just needs a way to auto push new episodes and auto delete after being listen to.

I'll check back in 6-12 months.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and prefer to use a standalone app for them. No offense to Emby but PocketCasts just does a much better job.

If your podcast needs are very basic the Emby plugin should work for you, but if you want to discover and download new podcasts from the app, auto download new episodes, and have advances skip features PocketCast is the way to go.

I use AntennaPod (Android Open Source) and it does everything but have multi-platform support and across device play position sync. I used to use gPodder (Linux/Windows Open Source) but it also doesn't have an Android version or across device play position sync.
Edited by EmbyShare