Roku Messages

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Is sending messages broke for the Roku apps or is it broke on the server?

I have tried sending a message to Blue Neon, Official app, and the beta and nothing happens. It will be Friday before I can post clean logs.

Server: 3.5.3.0

Offical Roku: 3.0.111

Beta Roku: 3.0.119

Blue Neon: 4.25

I know for a fact that Blue Neon won't accept the messages because it is using a built in http server on port 8324. 

The server now uses Roku DIAL to communicate with the Roku apps using Roku ECP. I never updated Blue Neon to support Roku Dial other than supplying it with an accurate app-id so it can track what its app id is and tell the server. But I never changed it further.

Now as to why the official and beta aren't working.. hmmm... It is hard for me to check that because of how I have my network ATM and it's in a double NAT. It is possible the newer Roku firmwares 8.2.x and 9.x will remove unauthenticated ECP access from third party applications. Roku has mentioned this might be coming to address the issue of spoofing IP and getting trusted access to Roku since it thinks any device that reports it is on the same network is immediately trusted. This is a huge security hole that Roku may have finally closed. In doing that hopefully they leave a way to authenticate for third party apps so we can become trusted.

http://www.aftvnews.com/consumer-reports-says-rokus-unrestricted-remote-control-api-is-a-security-vulnerability/

Edited by speechles

mediacowboy

Well the mystery gets deeper. I run a emby and emby beta in docker. Both docker containers have host access so no port issues. I logged into my beta server and the launched the Roku beta 3.0.121 on a different Roku and it worked.

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Okay made sure the Roku that didn't work was up todate. It wasn't of course by app version. Updated and tested again with beta app and 3.5.3.0 server and same issue. Message appears to send but does not show up. So maybe it is a server issue.

The server needs to be able to reach the roku device, as opposed to the other way around. So more than likely this means that it cannot.