Playback is stopping near the end of a media file

Pittiplatsch

Pittiplatsch

Hi,

I've trouble with the Web Player of Emby. With some media the player is stopping playback near the end of a media file. The video screen goes black, no audio anymore. The UI still works. My files are mkv's with h264, vobsub subtitles and aac audio. Usually it doesn't help restarting the media and jumping to the position. The playback will stop again after a similar playback position is reached. Sometimes it helps avoiding transcoding by deactivating subtitles, but sometimes this isn't helping either. It usually happens when the playback has coming to around 90 percent of the media file and when media files have a running time around 40 minutes in total. It doesn't happened with media longer than that yet, but this might be a coincidence. This issue isn't appearing with every media, it's difficult to reproduce it at the moment. Playing back affected media with something like VLC isn't causing any issues so far.

It sounds a bit like here, besides this user is playing back avi's instead mkv's:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/64322-playback-stopping-prematurely/?hl=%2Bstop+%2Bplayback

I'm running Emby 3.5.2.0 on Docker/Linux. I'm using Firefox, but also tested it with Chrome, same here.

I also attached some logs, there is a exception logged also, see end of embyserver.txt.

Thanks,

Peter

ffmpeg-transcode-65880ceb-33a4-4a39-98c6-2d90c49d5776.txt

embyserver.txt

Pittiplatsch

Hi there, please try this again with the next release of emby server, thanks.

Thanks for letting me know. Do you have a time frame when the next stable release might be coming up?

Thanks,

Peter

• 2 months later...

I’m having the same/similar issues since latest update...

Mostly playing x265 mkv files...

Playback stops at random points with the same screen as pittiplatsch describes..

Have been able to play videos on VLC without any issues.

Am thinking of doing a reinstall of Emby Theater...

I’m having the same/similar issues since latest update...

Mostly playing x265 mkv files...

Playback stops at random points with the same screen as pittiplatsch describes..

Have been able to play videos on VLC without any issues.

Am thinking of doing a reinstall of Emby Theater...

Hi there @@AJAYS, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 1 month later...
Pittiplatsch

Can you provide a sample video for testing?

Oh, big sorry, I totally missed this request. :(

I played around to provide a reliable small sample file to definitely reproduce this problem, but it seems to be a bit awkward because all attempts didn't work. The issue might be related to subtitles somehow, but I'm not sure. It seems to be irrelevant if the subtitles are picture or text based, embedded or served via a external srt file. Sometimes it's working, sometimes not.

My time is quite limited at the moment, so I cannot invest much more of it on short notice. Since this issue is pretty annoying I hope we can find a solution somehow soon.

Thanks,

Peter

• 2 months later...
trekkie690

I have had a similar issue where the playback at end the show/movie and the browser screen would go blank. Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox, etc. didnt matter what i used same issue. Not sure why its causing the issue, need to look at the logs when it happens, but i did figure out it was always happening at the 95% mark for the video. Which i know in emby is when it will decide to mark the show as watched in most cases. I know this setting can be changed, so i'll test it to see if i set it to 98% or 100% if it happens then which will indicate that that setting is screwing with browser play back.

Note i have a Roku, it does not have this is issue. Nor the mobile app(s) for it.

Pittiplatsch

I have had a similar issue where the playback at end the show/movie and the browser screen would go blank. Chrome, IE, Edge, Firefox, etc. didnt matter what i used same issue. Not sure why its causing the issue, need to look at the logs when it happens, but i did figure out it was always happening at the 95% mark for the video. Which i know in emby is when it will decide to mark the show as watched in most cases. I know this setting can be changed, so i'll test it to see if i set it to 98% or 100% if it happens then which will indicate that that setting is screwing with browser play back.

Note i have a Roku, it does not have this is issue. Nor the mobile app(s) for it.

This was my first thought as well back then. I think I did play around with the settings you mentioned too, but as far as I remember it wasn't related somehow. But I'm not entirely sure about it, it's been a while. Did you play around with these settings? Any news so far?

• 2 weeks later...

This just stated to happen to me also while using the browser. Gets to about 95% and stops playback, screen goes black play controls dont function. I have to navigate back to the info page, press play and skip forward.

update. I have noticed that I cant seem to force it to occur, i was just watching a show and all three episodes stopped on me resetting the watched percentage.
i cleared the watched indicator on one of the episodes and use the slider to skip to just before the point they were all stopping ~40:00 and it did not happen. I also tried the same on next episode. and it also did not happen.

I tried full screen with the same result. yet without fail on this show, if i sit down and watch  new episode all the way without interruptions they all seem to stop at the same point.     

AVI format, episodes go for 44min, no embedded or external subtitles, I ha also had this issue with shorted 20min MKV's

using chrome.

I think it is only happening within the browser and only after a couple of back to back episodes. I haven't noticed it happen if i only have one episode of something. 

Edited by DUG

bfir3

This seems to be the same issue as this: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69866-jump-of-images-blackscreen-during-the-playback-of-the-video-at-the-end-only/

I posted about the issue in there and it's exactly what OP describes. Around 95% into the video file the playback will abruptly stop and go to a black screen. You can leave the video playback screen with the arrow in the top left but Emby doesn't remember the position where the playback ended. (The problem isn't Emby not remembering the position, the problem is the playback ending abruptly).

I'll also attach my logs here.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg.txt

Edited by bfir3

Pittiplatsch

@@trekkie690 @@cptlores @@DUG @@bfir3 Can someone of you provide a video sample @@Luke was requesting? Sadly, I don't have much time at the moment and cannot prepare something.

@@DUG Regarding to your server log it seems to be the same exception thrown. Does it only affect media with subtitle encoding or is the issue happen without them too?

trekkie690

So i adjusted the  replay from end time and it would still occur at the 95% ish (near end) of the tv show (not an issue with movies for some reason). Like @bfire3 noted it losses its playback position. So i set it to 95 and 98 and 99. But still occurred, logs attached

embyserver-log.txt

FFmpge-transcode log.txt

Edited by trekkie690

chrismallia

I am getting a problem  when  video is transcoded or direct streamed, in some parts of the video the picture freezes for a second then quickly catchesup with the audio, this does not happen with  direct play.

chrismallia

Does this make some sense?
I set H264 encoding preset: to ultrafast from auto and the image freezing while audio playing looks like it did not happen all it did like pause the hole video for a very split second sometimes. 

Here are the logs of when videos paused.

server.txt

ffmpeg.txt

Edited by chrismallia