Tiny Media Manager with Emby?

jglazer63

jglazer63

I am slowly trying to migrate from Kodi/MySQL to Kodi/Emby.  I have been using TinyMediaManager for a while to manage my library and really like it.  Should I stop?   I noticed that in the migration I am missing my movie set/collection called John Wayne.  It's still in the MySQL setup but not in emby.  Other collections are but this is one I noticed was missing.  I guess the question is, should I not be using TMM with Emby at all?  I have it pulling all the artwork and creating the metadata as I place stuff in my library.

Any advice here?

Thanks!

jglazer63

Hi. I would suggest using Emby's built-in metadata features instead.

I was afraid you'd say that.  I am trying to figure out how to tell Emby how to rename files (if it can) and how to organize them like I can in TMM.  Is this even possible?

Where are the files coming from such that they need to be renamed?

You can check our our AutoOrganize plug-in.

jglazer63

Where are the files coming from such that they need to be renamed?

You can check our our AutoOrganize plug-in.

They can come from anywhere.  I just like to have a program rename the files/folders consistently.  

What about having Emby read metadata from the .nfo files exclusively?  Is this possible?

Yes, if you configure the library that way (disable all internet metadata providers and only allow nfo).

However, I still suggest you look into using our features.

jglazer63

Yes, if you configure the library that way (disable all internet metadata providers and only allow nfo).

However, I still suggest you look into using our features.

I am trying to figure out the features I want in Emby.  Another one, for example, is that all my Avenger movies have been subdivided into Iron Man collection, Captain America collection etc....  I want them all under Avenger Collection and I cannot figure out how to do that.  Its very cumbersome to dig through the menus to rearrange the collections (as far as I can tell) but I am still trying.

I created an "Avenger Collection" in Kodi but it does not get reflected in the Emby interface at all.

Edited by jglazer63

mastrmind11

I am trying to figure out the features I want in Emby.  Another one, for example, is that all my Avenger movies have been subdivided into Iron Man collection, Captain America collection etc....  I want them all under Avenger Collection and I cannot figure out how to do that.  Its very cumbersome to dig through the menus to rearrange the collections (as far as I can tell) but I am still trying.

I created an "Avenger Collection" in Kodi but it does not get reflected in the Emby interface at all.

Emby relies on IMDB for determining which movies fall into which collection.  If you want to group movies into collections that don't jive w/ what IMDB says, you have to make manual collections.  I don't use Kodi any longer so I can't speak to whether collections made there are even supposed to be reflected in Emby (though I doubt it).

Emby relies on IMDB for determining which movies fall into which collection.  If you want to group movies into collections that don't jive w/ what IMDB says, you have to make manual collections.  I don't use Kodi any longer so I can't speak to whether collections made there are even supposed to be reflected in Emby (though I doubt it).

Hi.  We actually do NOT use IMDb data but TMDB and this is only for the AutoBoxSets plug-in.  You can manually create any collections you wish using the UI.

Thanks.

jglazer63

Hi.  We actually do NOT use IMDb data but TMDB and this is only for the AutoBoxSets plug-in.  You can manually create any collections you wish using the UI.

Thanks.

Trying to figure out how to manually create the collections short of creating the file system by hand.  I don't see where to add a collection in the UI.  Can I get a pointer or two?

Thanks!

mastrmind11

Trying to figure out how to manually create the collections short of creating the file system by hand.  I don't see where to add a collection in the UI.  Can I get a pointer or two?

Thanks!

In your movies library there's a collection tab and a + button to add them from there.  Or you can click the 3dot on any movie and select "add to collection"

mastrmind11

Thanks, this seems to only effect the logged in user.  I want it to effect all users across emby.  Is this possible?

yes, give the users access to Collections from the admin page....

jglazer63

So far I have uninstalled Auto Box Set plugin since it deletes everything I am trying to do.

I create the desired folder structure under Collections

I created the .XML files necessary to list the collection files I want

Rescanned the library.

This seems to work.  Would be great if Tiny Media Manager could manage this too.  But that's another forum :)

jglazer63

yes, give the users access to Collections from the admin page....

Is there a way to select multiple (say 127) movies at one time and add all to a collection?

Thanks!

Is there a way to select multiple (say 127) movies at one time and add all to a collection?

Thanks!

Read down the page in the article I linked to above...

jglazer63

Read down the page in the article I linked to above...

Ah, i tried what it suggested but didn't realize you had to be in poster view.

I cannot seem to find a way to search for all "John Wayne" movies (by actor) let alone add all the results to a collection.  Is this asking too much?

Thanks for your help!

The multi-select menu is missing a "select all" choice.  Seems appropriate.

Edited by jglazer63

You would just search for John Wayne, then click on him in search results.

Then you will see all John Wayne content in your library.

jglazer63

You would just search for John Wayne, then click on him in search results.

Then you will see all John Wayne content in your library.

Yea I tried searching on "John Wayne" but only two things came up (I expected over 80).  However when I click his photo in one of his movies they all came up fine.

• 10 months later...

I am facing the same challenge as the original poster: in my ripping workflow, I use Tiny Media Manager for all metadata, images, and renaming, and I've come to appreciate its flexibility and ease of use. I briefly tried to switch to Emby's built in features but came to the conclusion that for me, Emby's strengths are clearly in its elegant capabilities for multi channel serving and presenting of content.

I configured Emby to read metadata from nfo only, and for the most part, I am pretty happy with my workflow as it stands now. Main remaining problem is that I couldn't get Emby to recognise Movie Sets generated by Tiny Media Manager as Collections at all. Did anyone have any success with this? Auto Collections don't quite cut it for me, as I frequently edit collections (e.g. to include corresponding shorts and documentaries) or create my own.

• Like 1

I am facing the same challenge as the original poster: in my ripping workflow, I use Tiny Media Manager for all metadata, images, and renaming, and I've come to appreciate its flexibility and ease of use. I briefly tried to switch to Emby's built in features but came to the conclusion that for me, Emby's strengths are clearly in its elegant capabilities for multi channel serving and presenting of content.

I configured Emby to read metadata from nfo only, and for the most part, I am pretty happy with my workflow as it stands now. Main remaining problem is that I couldn't get Emby to recognise Movie Sets generated by Tiny Media Manager as Collections at all. Did anyone have any success with this? Auto Collections don't quite cut it for me, as I frequently edit collections (e.g. to include corresponding shorts and documentaries) or create my own.

Hi, it's not supported at this time, so you'd have to manually create collections if you don't want to use AutoBoxSets.

Happy2Play

Since Emby does its collections virtually off of media metadata and reside in "\Emby-Server\programdata\data\collections" (location different on other OSes), you can not uses collections created by other managers.  Folder structure collection will be ignored.  I have the same issue with Collections structure require for MCM.  All customiztion would have to be done with Emby.

• Like 1

Obviously not the answers I was hoping for, but thanks guys for the ultra quick and clear replies anyway!

Also, I just found out that "Auto Box Set" plugin won't work with tMM generated NFO since it expects "tmdbCollectionID" while tMM writes that info as "tmdbsetid".