3D movie not setting TV

kmed27

Hi,

I am new to Emby and only installed it yesterday.

When I try to play a 3D movie, it plays but I have to manually switch the TV into 3D mode.

Looking at the metadata, all the movies have been correctly identified as either tsbs or ttab, they say 3D in the information in Emby player but they do not switch the TV.

I have been trying Plex for a few days but finding that it is taking too much processing power on my NAS whereas Emby hardly uses any cpu and just works.

Plex however does auto switch the TV mode to 3D on all the movies, the ones that didn't, I just added the appropriate "t-sbs" or "t-tab" to the file name and that seemed to sort it.

Is there anything I need to do differently in Emby to get it to switch when 3D movies are played?

My TV is Samsung:
Model: EU65HU8500
Firmware: 1530
Emby Client: 1.0.39

Thanks

FrostByte

Do you have an evolution kit?  Reason is that is a Orsay TV model and your topic says Tizen and the version number you say you're running is also Tizen.  

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/tv-model-groups

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/uhd-hu8500/UE65HU8500TXXU/

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Yes, that EK made your 2014 Orsay TV a 2015 Tizen or J-series set as far as the app is concerned.  Thanks, hopefully Luke can come up with something

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

So in this case, once you install the EK to become a Tizen model, is 3D still supported?  Normally 3D switching is automatically detected by the TV so I suspect it is not.

Yes, we watch a lot of 3D movies, I got the kit mid 2016 to get hdmi 2.2.

3D is always automatic from the blue ray player. My old dlna player was hit and miss whether it auto switched or not.

But, as I said, after I installed Plex to try; at first it didn't switch, then after reading some articles, I found that adding H-SBS or H-TAB to the file name made it play them in 3D without me having to manually set it (Plex does now auto switch into 3D mode).

That's why I wondered if Emby used a different naming convention or something?

Thanks,

I tried renaming as it says but still not auto switching tv into 3D mode.

The metadata is picking up the fact that it is 3D, i.e. '3D Format' in metadata says HSBS.

It just doen't seem to be sending the signal to the TV.

The TV shows 2 side by side images until I go into 3D option and manually select side by side option.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything in the Samsung/Tizen documentation about enabling 3D playback.  There are a few functions to check if 3Deffect is enabled/active, but nothing to select 3D mode.

As far as the filename goes, as long as the server is detecting 3D then the name should be fine.  I don't think the player will care about the name of the file, 3D mode should be in the file metadata.

I'm curious that you mention that Plex will playback the same title in 3D on this TV.  That means it should be possible.  I expect we need to tell the player to switch to 3D but I'm not sure how we do that.

When you playback the file with the Emby Samsung app, can you confirm that it is DirectPlaying, not DirectStreaming or transcoding?

Can you attach a server log file straight after completing one of your tests?  Thanks

You can also try playing the file Directly from a USB hard-drive connected to the TV.  If it does play, does it switch to 3D automatically?

Hi,

Sorry it took so long.

After your reply, I decided to investigate as much as I could, so I went through 40 - 3D films.

I first tried them all through Emby, results were:-

21 switched to correct 3D on TV

19 didn't switch.

I then tried all 40 through Plex, results were:-

All 40 switched to correct 3D on TV

I then started copying some to usb stick!!

2 out of the ones that switched with Emby also switched on TV

out of 3 that didn't play on Emby, 2 didn't switch and 1 did.

I know it's only 5 films but it was taking ages to copy each to usb and then plug into TV and then delete it!! (I packed in after the 5 and had a glass of wine!)

This morning, I started 2 films for 10 seconds each. The first one didn't switch and the second one did as per my tests yesterday.

I've attached a log.

I can't see anything obvious, but the fact that some automatically switch is promising.

So if we just focus on these two movies, Angry Birds and Ronin, can you please extract and attach the mediainfo for each file.  

Assuming I'm correct in saying it was Angry Birds that didn't switch, can you just confirm that it is DirectPlaying, and also just try this one on USB to see if it switches?

Thanks

Angry Birds didn't auto switch on TV.

Iv'e attached two media infos.

I beleive they are direct playing? although I am not sure how to tell.

Yesterday, I unticked Allow audio/video transcoding (that I read about on another topic) to try and make sure it was direct play.

ABirdsMI.txt

RoninMI.txt

FrostByte

If you bring up stats for nerds within the app while playing the movie it will tell you.  You can also see it in the dashboard on the server

SFN can be brought up using the gear icon on the OSD, then again to toggle it off

Edited by FrostByte

Angry Birds didn't auto switch on TV.

Iv'e attached two media infos.

I beleive they are direct playing? although I am not sure how to tell.

Yesterday, I unticked Allow audio/video transcoding (that I read about on another topic) to try and make sure it was direct play.

So it's interesting that Angry Birds also does not auto switch to 3D when playing via USB.  But you say it does with Plex, correct?

@@Luke will confirm, but I'm sure with the way the Tizen app loads the media when DirectPlaying, it really should make no difference as to whether the server is detecting 3D or not as the client does nothing special for 3D files.  I believe the auto-switching of 3D on the TV is completely an automatic function of the player.  Therefore I don't think that the naming of the file should impact this.  All the '3D magic' is in the mkv file and stream metadata.

As a test, rename Ronin to remove all the 3D tags and rescan the library to be sure that the server no longer detects the file as 3D.  I suspect that it should still autoswitch on the TV with the Emby app.

I tried Ronin and that just works on TV, Emby and Plex whatever the file name says.

However; Angry Birds doesn't switch with TV or Emby in either case BUT if I remove '3D HSBS' from the name then Plex DOESN'T switch, when I put it back into the name it does auto switch.

Which makes me think there must be a command being sent to the TV?

The other thing I have notced with Plex is that the switch is instant; that is, as soon as I start a 3D film, the TV says switching to 3D and this occurs on all films that I have tested whereas with emby most just play for a second or so then switche without a message from the TV (Ronin being an exeption again as that displays the TV message whatever plays it!).

Hope this helps.

When you use Plex, I'm assuming that is with the evolution kit installed?  

With the EK installed, the operating system is Tizen and I have seen no documented way to switch to 3D.  With the EK removed, the Operating system is Orsay and in that case it is possible to switch to 3D mode manually.

If you can confirm that you are using the Evolution Kit when you test with Plex, then I will need to follow it up with Samsung.

Yes, everything comes from my NAS server where I have Emby and Plex installed, I do not touch the TV or box, it is all through the SEK-3500u.

For the tv tests, I plug the usb into the back of the evolution box.

When I switch manually from the TV remote, I select 3D from the menu and it gives a choice of which type of 3D you want, that is top to bottom or side by side so it must be able to send something to switch to the correct 3D type; I assume?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has there been any news in the last 2 weeks of whether Emby will be capable of switching 3D modes?

I am trying to decide which service to stay with premiere or plex pass (the nagware screen isn't really helping!).